Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2012 8:00:03 PM EDT
I've been googling lifter mods to reduce the thumb bite from loading too quickly.

I've found other websites mention welding the lifter but I don't know what that means in this context.

I've also saw someone that used a dremel to the receiver of their gun to modify the feed.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#1]
C-Rums  One of the most popular places to send your lifters for welding.  Be aware that if you mod it before hand he may not fix it for you.

Welding the lifter is connecting the forks so that your thumb doesn't get caught in them when speed loading. scroll down for picture didn't want to hot link, and most won't have the extra slot cut in them.

I have also seen some people cut off one of the forks to prevent the benelli thumb.  Don't know how effective it is though.

I do know that several people including myself had their perfectly functioning guns lifter welded and had jams after.  I think the forks help guide the shell in the chamber straight.  Their fix was to radius the entrance to the chamber.  I bent the tip of the lifter down slightly.  Not many rounds through it yet after the mod so not sure if it is a real fix.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't touched my lifter yet. I've heard about the problems that can come from modifying it, and that's why I was hoping someone had designed a lifter that worked and I could just buy a replacement rather than modifying my stock lifter.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 8:44:49 AM EDT
[#3]
800 rounds later, mine is still functioning as it should
This is from when I first got it done, still looks the same

C-rum did mine, couldn't be happier

Link Posted: 2/21/2012 6:15:26 PM EDT
[#4]
You could go to brownells or call up mossburg and see if they will sell you one, then send that one to be modded so you will always have a stock one as backup.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/a429/Goobax/cb7ad0c8.jpg

Guncat did mine, couldn't be happier.

http://roseactionsports.com/default.aspx

JesseCJC ,

Are you sure I did that lifter?  I remember the barrel work, but I've not put out lifter work.

Jeff Cockrum (C-Rum) is the go to guy for lifter work. He did the lifter work mods on my personal Benelli M2 and I could not be happier with it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 4:40:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You could go to brownells or call up mossburg and see if they will sell you one, then send that one to be modded so you will always have a stock one as backup.

Good call.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/a429/Goobax/cb7ad0c8.jpg

Guncat did mine, couldn't be happier.

http://roseactionsports.com/default.aspx

JesseCJC ,

Are you sure I did that lifter?  I remember the barrel work, but I've not put out lifter work.

Jeff Cockrum (C-Rum) is the go to guy for lifter work. He did the lifter work mods on my personal Benelli M2 and I could not be happier with it.

You are absolutely right, sorry about that!
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 12:19:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone sell an aftermarket lifter for the 930?

I pinch my thumb all the time...
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Does anyone sell an aftermarket lifter for the 930?

I pinch my thumb all the time...

I don't know but if you find someone that is let me know.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 4:04:50 PM EDT
[#10]
What exactly is this thumb pinching deal I keep reading about? I've only had my 930 SPX for a couple of weeks and just over 150 rounds, but I haven't had my thumb pinched yet (or maybe I did but just didn't realize it?)?
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What exactly is this thumb pinching deal I keep reading about? I've only had my 930 SPX for a couple of weeks and just over 150 rounds, but I haven't had my thumb pinched yet (or maybe I did but just didn't realize it?)?

While you are removing your thumb after loading a round the lifter drop just enough that the thing forks your thumb hard and hurts... like a bitch. Depending on how fars you load. If you aren't loading it in a hurry you might not run into the issue. If you shoot 3-gun or some kind of "tactical" shotgun match where you load it quickly it is bought to happen.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

While you are removing your thumb after loading a round the lifter drop just enough that the thing forks your thumb hard and hurts... like a bitch. Depending on how fars you load. If you aren't loading it in a hurry you might not run into the issue. If you shoot 3-gun or some kind of "tactical" shotgun match where you load it quickly it is bought to happen.

Thanks. I've only shot one 3-gun match with it so far, but I've also been practicing reloads at home with dummy rounds and haven't experienced anything like this so far. It sounds like I'll know when it happens...
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#13]
There is a bit of technique that will help prevent you from jamming your thumb up in there but while moving at speed under stress of the timer you're bound to get a bit sloppy and you'll know it when you do.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 9:30:53 PM EDT
[#14]
If you let your thumb get parallel with the shell and enter the tube it will happen.  If you keep it at a 90* angle it shouldn't happen.  Problem was if I did that every once in a while I wouldn't push the shell in far enough to stay in the tube.  It would back out and get trapped on top on the lifter.  Not a problem unless your stage plan called for more loading more rounds at that point.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 11:02:16 AM EDT
[#15]
What's the advantage of getting the slot cut in the welded lifter?
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What's the advantage of getting the slot cut in the welded lifter?

If a shell somehow slides past the shell latch and hangs up in the action the open slot makes it much easier to clear the jam. Reaching through the slot you can push the shell back into the mag tube.

Link Posted: 2/24/2012 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#17]
That is the reason I have heard most, but the gun should be able to shoot when it is "ghost loaded" and that is what is being described.  Also it would be faster to just rack the action twice if you need that shell out.  One other possible reason is to center the shell, most have a shallow groove in the lifter some have the slot cut.  I don't have a slot cut on mine, and wouldn't put one in.
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That is the reason I have heard most, but the gun should be able to shoot when it is "ghost loaded" and that is what is being described.  Also it would be faster to just rack the action twice if you need that shell out.  One other possible reason is to center the shell, most have a shallow groove in the lifter some have the slot cut.  I don't have a slot cut on mine, and wouldn't put one in.

The only other reason I could figure might be weight. Some of the other forums I've been reading have suggested that you should try to keep the lifter the same weight or the spring that pushes it up might be too weak. I don't know if it was a valid claim or not though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top