Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2011 12:13:46 PM EDT
I'm about to purchase a shotgun.  Primarily as a bump in the night stick.

I'm torn between the Mossberg 590A1 and the Remington 887 Tactical.  I definitely want to mount a light on it.  Beyond that, I don't really know what the heck else I want or need, quite frankly as this is my first shotgun.

IIRC, the Mossy is about $500 and the Remington is about $430.  Is there another choice I should be considering?  What do you guys recommend for home defense ammo, as well as for practice ammo?
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#1]
They are both amazing shotguns, its really just preference.

As for defense loads, I stick to the classics:  00 buck, with slugs on a shell caddy "just in case".

For practice, if you are just trying to develop muscle memory and work drills, IMHO, its acceptable to practice with trap/skeet loads that are cheap.  You can use those to work drills to build good habits, then switch to something like real buckshot for accuracy and general shooting practice.

If money isn't a factor, drill with what you intend to use for defense all the time, but I can't afford that, so I generally drill 80-90% with cheap target loads and then do a handful of drills with the real thing to make sure my accuracy is not slipping.

Link Posted: 7/26/2011 1:20:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I would go with an 870, have you shot an 500 because you might not like the action.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I would go with an 870, have you shot an 500 because you might not like the action.

Mine was a bit tight, but after 100-200 shells it became very smooth.

The 500s like a little break in.

Link Posted: 7/26/2011 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Same here, after purchasing my 590A1, I went and bought a couple of 100 shot boxes.
Went thru two of them and everything loosened a bit. Then I realized I didn't like the foregrip and switched out to a Hogue.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 6:17:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 10:08:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Wasn't he asking about an 887?

No experience with the 887, but the mossbergs have a lot to speak for them as fighting shotguns. The safety location is in a natural position for your thumb to actuate it and allows visual feedback. The lifter is also skeletonized and stays out of the way while reloading, making them easier to reload quickly. The loading port is also large, which only helps...

All actions can be smoothed. IMO you should seek reliability first in a fighting shotgun, with control location and ease of rapid loading a close second.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 11:55:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 4:47:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Go with the 590A1. Heavy barrel, steel trigger guard and safety. Bayonet lug. What's not to love? If I didn't already have an M37 and an M3, I would purchase a 590A1 in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Like others have said, you can't go wrong with either.  Both are battle proven and have virtually the same reliability.  It just comes down to preference.  Go picm up both and shoot both if possible.  I chose the Mossberg 590 A1 b/c it fit my preferences better.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 12:31:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Like others have said, you can't go wrong with either.  Both are battle proven and have virtually the same reliability.  It just comes down to preference.  Go picm up both and shoot both if possible.  I chose the Mossberg 590 A1 b/c it fit my preferences better.

+1 on the Mossy A1. reliability "yes" long term "590".
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 5:36:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree, you can't go wrong with either one. My personal choice is the 590A1....being left handed, the fire controls work better for me......
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 8:08:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No experience with the 887, but the mossbergs have a lot to speak for them as fighting shotguns. The safety location is in a natural position for your thumb to actuate it and allows visual feedback. The lifter is also skeletonized and stays out of the way while reloading, making them easier to reload quickly. The loading port is also large, which only helps...

This pretty much sums it up. I was damn close to picking up an 887 Tactical at a gun show but i think it was more for the cool factor than anything else. It's a slick looking gun with the Armorlokt finish, rails, and ported choke. But the fact that you can't modify it as easily as a 590 or an 870 for that matter made me pass on it.

If I ever buy another pump shotgun to to keep my M500 Persuader company it will be one of the two below, just to give you something to think about...

590 Special Purpose 20" - $460

870 Express Tactical 18.5" - $450

Link Posted: 7/30/2011 8:29:27 AM EDT
[#13]
The mossberg 590 is not a bad choice at all. if i buy another shotgun to keep the 870 company it'd be a 590 if i went pump action again. But i am biased because im left handed so take it with a grain of salt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top