Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/11/2004 7:32:59 PM EST
These two shotguns have been sitting in my gun vault for many many years. I'm thinking about converting one of them to a tactical shotgun. Should I choose one over then other?

Which has more accessories?

Can you provide links?

Thanks,

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:03:32 PM EST
Bump....no opinions?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:43:49 PM EST
I'm no expert, but the places I've seen ads for that have shotgun accessories have more tactical stuff for mossbergs and 870s than Ithacas
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:44:47 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/13/2004 8:45:53 AM EST by OKLA-LAWMAN]
Ithicas are fine weapons but have fell from favor as if they have a fell to feed jam, they are damn impossible to quickly bring back into action, as they eject and load throgh the same port, There are not many accessories made for them and the way the barrels are made you can not extend the magazine.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:05:42 AM EST
Ithaca 37's are great shotguns. They rarely fail. The design is solid and simple. There are not a lot of aftermarket parts for them however for "tactical purposes." You can get a sidesaddle for them and pistol grip, that is really about it.

If you want to keep things really simple (and inexpensive), buy an Ithaca 37 (Southern Ohio Guns is selling them right now for under $200 in very good conditon). This would be my first choice for home defense.

If you want to load a lot of extras on (lot of expensive crap if you ask me) to play Rambo in the house, then get the Mossberg.

My two cents.

Out
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:10:56 PM EST
Unless you're left-handed, the Ithaca doesn't have any advantages over the Mossberg, as a tactical shotgun.

The Mossberg has a lot of excellent accessories. I'm not one to hang useless crap on my gun, but an excellent set of ghost ring sights, a weaponlight, a side-saddle and a CQB solutions sling are all easily had for the Mossberg.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:56:50 AM EST
One tactical aspect that a 37 has over a Mossberg is that if you are inside a house you do not have spent shell casings bouncing off the walls back at you. A minor distraction, but with an Ithaca the spent shells eject straight down and out of the way.

When I participated in a tactical class for work I did have some spents shells bouncing back at me in a corner hallway situation. One hit me in the head. It was minor, but I do remember it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:02:26 AM EST

Originally Posted By sharky30:
I'm no expert, but the places I've seen ads for that have shotgun accessories have more tactical stuff for mossbergs and 870s than Ithacas

Yup...More options w/the Mossy
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:43:24 AM EST
There may, indeed, be more "tactical options" for the Mossy, but the Ithaca is, head and shoulders, the better quality firearm. Provided you are wanting it for home defense use, the Ithaca will serve you well for the next 50+ years or so by replacing the springs with a "Police" or HD spring kit and cutting the barrel down. Put the biggest, brightest white front bead on it you can find, learn to reload a round as you fire one...assuming you have ammo pouches in your pajama pockets...and you can easily keep up with the eight shot extended mag...typically less reliable because of it...tac'ed out, flat black, models. If you can't see the front sight at night...and neither can most of them unless they have a tritium front blade...use the old...old...trick of tying a white rag around the barrel near the muzzle, This lets you see the muzzle in near dark condituions AND cures the biggest issue with inaccurate hits in the dark with shotguns...shooting high.

I like my tricked out 870 and my Benelli Super 90s but damn, you would think from the looks of things these days that no one had ever used a stock, short barreled shotgun to successfully defend themselves before 1997 or so!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:00:59 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:14:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By mike103:
The 37 is the better gun but more junk is made for the Mossberg. The NYPD still to this day used 37's that are over 40 years old with 14" barrels and five shot mags. MIKE.

And they work just FINE!
Top Top