Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/13/2004 6:43:16 PM EST
Could someone please tell me how to remove the forend please? Trying to install a pistol grip forend and cannot get it off . Instructions say I have to remove the retaining ring with the tool provided but doesnt say HOW to do it. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:02:09 PM EST
At the front end of the forend there is a metal ring with two notches in it. This ring rotates and screws off. I'm surprised your kit came with a tool. I got mine off the first time by taking the entire forend off after removing my barrel and disassembling the receiver, then I used a screwdrive, bar, or whatever to fit into the notches and twisted the ring off like a screw. Now I have a wrench from Brownells that fits 4 different brands and it makes it a snap - it just a tube with two square teeth you slip over the mag tube and onto the ring. The ring was fairly stiff but it does screw off.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:34:02 AM EST
AK Mike, thanks for the reply. Yeah, thats what I thought I was supposed to do but couldnt get that ring to budge when I tried to unscrew it. Maybe I will have to use some WD-40 or something to loosen it up. Was afraid of breaking something. Really appreciate the response man.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:02:13 AM EST
No problem. I understand your situation, it really is stiff to come off, at least the first time. After it comes off you'll see that the forend is just polymer. If you don't have the right tool it can be a bugger. First time I tried I began to think that the ring couldn't come off and wasn't meant to, until I looked closely at my new forend and hunkered down.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:24:09 PM EST
Got it off findally....thanks for all the tips. I even called Choate and Mr Choate himself talked to me and told me to do this: but the gun in the freezer for an hour or two so the polymer contracts. Did that and the thing came right off :) Thanks guys
Top Top