Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2004 5:44:02 PM EDT
I picked up a filthy Mossberg 500AB and am trying to take it down for cleaning.  Everything's come apart well EXCEPT that I can't get the slide off.

Is there some trick to it?  I've got everything else removed as per the manual.

Thanks,

Mike
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey, score.

I've got this thing mostly apart fine-- it's just that the damn slide won't slide off.  According to the manual, it should just come slide right out of the receiver after the bolt and internals are out.

They're out, and it's still in.  

Thanks much,

Mike
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:27:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Bring it by the shop on Monday in the afternoon sometime and I'll go over it with you....Mossbergs are a PITA to take apart and put together.

I never found them to be a PITA. All my friends have mossburgs with a couple 870s in the mix. showing them how to strip them down, rebuilding,replacing parts tricking out. I sware I need to start charging these guys more than a 6pack or 12pack for all the work I've done on their mossburgs. I've done more shit to other peoples mossbergs than I've done my own. It's fun though.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:30:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hey, score.

I've got this thing mostly apart fine-- it's just that the damn slide won't slide off.  According to the manual, it should just come slide right out of the receiver after the bolt and internals are out.

They're out, and it's still in.  

Thanks much,

Mike

Mike paly around with the action bars a bit sometimes you got to wiggle them a bit as sometimes there a bit touchy. I'm sure you already did that, but I got to mention it anyway.

ETA: The last filthy ass mossberg I had to deal with had a similar problem, the cause was that the action bars were bent enough that they wouldn't just slide out. Could be that pinch them in a bit as you try to pull it off.

I'm just racking my brain here thinking of all the stuff I've run into.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 4:59:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I think b4 you begin dismantlinh you should pull the forearms back to 3/4 position, from what i rember there are "clearence cuts" in the reciver and the slide has to line up with cuts in the reciver, if you got the internals out and YOU CAN GET THE SLIDE OUT GIVE THE SHOTGUN A NICE SMACK. If it was cycling properally b4 u took it apart then there should not be anything wrong with the weapon
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:41:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Doesn't the ejector screw into the inside of the reciever on those?  It may be getting in the way of the action bars.  Look into the ejection port and you should be able to see if its still in place.

Good luck.

Edited because i kant spel
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top