Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/19/2009 1:37:27 PM EST
Does anybody know the process of drifting the front sight on a M44?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:01:04 PM EST
hammer and a punch. it will help to soak the front sight with penetrating fluid first, and i would put it on a wood block nice and secure to get a good whack at it. mine took a hell of a beating before it moved.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:01:15 PM EST
Yes.
I lay my rifle barrel on a soft piece of wood (cedar) that supports the barrel and the sight dovetail. I then use a brass drift and a hammer to tap the sight over in the dovetail. That is the best way to not damage the rifle. If you find a place where it is dialed in and will leave in that position, stake the sight with a small cold chisel or steel punch. That will remove some bluing so I use a little cold blue just on the scratched spot and you never see the difference from the original and the touch up. I use a q-tip to apply the bluing.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:54:05 PM EST
Originally Posted By builttoughf250:
hammer and a punch. it will help to soak the front sight with penetrating fluid first, and i would put it on a wood block nice and secure to get a good whack at it. mine took a hell of a beating before it moved.

I beat the snot out of a few also! A brass punch may end up bent! A good steel nail set and a piece of soft steel between the 2.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:46:42 PM EST
I had alot of difficulty myself until the guys here reassured me that beating the sight was good to go. Now I routinely shoot at 300 yards, easily hitting 5 gallon buckets and other pieces of debris.

I layed the rifle on a stack of shop towels and used a hammer and steel punch until it was dialed in. Nobody was at the range to watch the show.
Top Top