Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2005 5:36:02 PM EDT
Can someone please help me out on the Mosin Nagant models? Im looking at the ones on Aimsurplus.com could use some guidance. I want a good shooter, doesn't really need to be a collectors item but I'd want to get the best I could. Any of you have any experience with these? They even have the antique version that doesn't need an ffl, too old to be a shooter?

edit * sorry this should of went under curio and relics
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:30:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Mosins are great rifles. I have a 91/30 and love shooting it, very accurate.

If your just looking for something to shoot (not collect) I would go for the russian 91/30 or the M38

Russian 91/30 This is the rifle that I have, great rifle for the price.
Russian M38 These seem to kick a little harder and produce HUGE fireballs when you shoot them, still a great rifle for the price.

I've never shot or handled any of the Finnish rifles so I can't really comment on them but I don't see them being worth the extra money if you're just looking for something to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:34:49 PM EDT
[#2]
ive got to get me one of these!!! i dont know which one i want as a truck gun!! the 38 or the 91??
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I just picked up a re-arsenaled Russian M38 the other day.

I did see the Finnish one. My only worry is shooting somewhat modern loads (not special weak loads) out of that old of a rifle.

So first, how big do you want it? 20" barrel, 31" barrel, etc.

Here's a line-up of specs for all the rifles:

7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSpec.htm

Everybody seems to rave about the Finnish ones.

Do want all original or a re-arsenaled (counterbored)?

Matching #'s?

Bayonet?

Typically you have two choices. Carbine or Full Length rifle. Usually that's an M38/M44 or M91/30. I picked up the M38 (no bayonet) as it was a bit different and looked nice. I have yet to shoot it. Although with that short of a barrel, it will be loud.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
ive got to get me one of these!!! i dont know which one i want as a truck gun!! the 38 or the 91??

The M38 is a lot shorter than 91/30 if that makes any difference to you. My 91/30 is 48.5 inches long, I don't have an M38 on hand to measure but it is much shorter.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

How big is your truck. The 91/30 is 4 feet long.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The M38 is a lot shorter than 91/30 if that makes any difference to you. My 91/30 is 48.5 inches long, I don't have an M38 on hand to measure but it is much shorter.

40". About 9 inches shorter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top