Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2004 7:10:11 PM EDT
Well I want to go shooting Sunday and I was looking to get a nice bolt-action vintage rifle. My options are the fallowing.

Mosin-Nagant   $80, some nice clean ones
Turk Kar            $90, cracked stocks, can’t tell bores, lots of grease
Persian              $270, Ok I guess
Mitchell’s            $199, brand new looking
Mosin-Carbine  $140

I'm leaning toward either a Mosin-Nagant. They appear clean and in good condition, 79.99 isn’t a bad price either. Can a scope be easily mounted? The other choice I think is the MM M-48s, they come with a pile of goodies, look brand new and are priced at $200, and I think retail is $300.  Ammunition available is Turkish 8mm at 8.99 for 70rds (I already have 140 thanks to my G/F), and Wolf 7.62x54r, I don’t know what that is running for.

Jack
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:04:01 PM EDT
[#1]
GEt the Czech ammo if you get the mosin, around 8 cents a round.  I got ammo at around $3/4 for 70 rounds of 8mm when I got it.

Both are nice though.

Do you have a C&R you might could order some of them cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#2]
No C&R, only 20.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:40:38 PM EDT
[#3]
You can one of Darrel's scout mounts for most MN.  Good mounts.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Well I want to go shooting Sunday and I was looking to get a nice bolt-action vintage rifle. My options are the fallowing.

Mosin-Nagant   $80, some nice clean ones
Turk Kar            $90, cracked stocks, can’t tell bores, lots of grease
Persian              $270, Ok I guess
Mitchell’s            $199, brand new looking
Mosin-Carbine  $140

I'm leaning toward either a Mosin-Nagant. They appear clean and in good condition, 79.99 isn’t a bad price either. Can a scope be easily mounted? The other choice I think is the MM M-48s, they come with a pile of goodies, look brand new and are priced at $200, and I think retail is $300.  Ammunition available is Turkish 8mm at 8.99 for 70rds (I already have 140 thanks to my G/F), and Wolf 7.62x54r, I don’t know what that is running for.

Jack

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
No C&R, only 20.

Know how that is, your your buying them localy that seems decent prices.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:50:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah thats local out the door, plus I have the choice of like Five each. Even with a CR cant beat that. Figure you get a MN for 60 offline, add 15 for hand pick and 15 for shipping and your at $90 or so.  Shipping basicly cancels out any deals on these bad boys compared to what I'm paying. CR would come in handy for high dollar items like SKSs and what not. If you can call that high dollar, I paid only 160 for my Chinese "Paratrooper" (40rd mag).
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:52:21 PM EDT
[#6]
$82 shipped for a low grade Yogo SKS.

You need a K31 but get that later, ammo cost abit
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:21:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, Dunhams have two perfect (mirror bore) K31s, 125 each I think. I looked, but when I saw ammunition for something like $3 a round I said "Screw that". Once I get a nice collection of shooters then maybe I pick one up, I'm in no fear that thwy will disapear.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:27:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yeah, Dunhams have two perfect (mirror bore) K31s, 125 each I think. I looked, but when I saw ammunition for something like $3 a round I said "Screw that". Once I get a nice collection of shooters then maybe I pick one up, I'm in no fear that thwy will disapear.

Get one you can order it for approx $4 for 10 rounds, or get someone to order if for you until your 21.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:31:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:23:25 PM EDT
[#10]
What can you guys tell me about the MAS French rifle, the one that looks like a box car. The shop has one chambered for .308 (modified I presume) with a good bore. Neet rilfe, $179.99, neg.  I think I might get it if I'm sure it won't blow up in my face.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#11]
.308 MAS rifles were pretty popular since 7.5mm French was hard to find.

Only problem was there were a lot of KABOOM stories. I don't know if they were true or not, but nobody is converting their MAS rifles anymore.

Plus, 7.5mm French is available newly manufactured.

Av.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#12]
bump
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:59:05 PM EDT
[#13]
MAS rifles weren't designed with a safety. Also, I had a chance to get my cousins'. Should have for historical purposes, but at the time I could only think how awkward the bolt handle was, and that there was no safety and it was in yet another caliber I'd have to buy dies for and feed, so I passed.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:56:11 AM EDT
[#14]
FYI

I read that the MAS bolt gun was chambered for the 7.62 NATO round which has lower pressure that the commercial 308 ammo.  The consensus was that you should only shoot 7.62 NATO to reduce the possibility of the action destroying itself!

Of course, you could buy 1 of each! (rifles I mean)

Rebel 13
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:22:12 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
MAS rifles weren't designed with a safety.

For that matter, neither are the Russian guns.  Keep your finger off the trigger, etc.

-hanko
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:36:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For that matter, neither are the Russian guns.  Keep your finger off the trigger, etc.

-hanko

umm mosins have saftys.. ya have to turn the  back of the bolt to you and over to the side to lock it. wont fire that way..its made that way,,and,,, its a safty..  either way yer finger shouldnt be on the trigger unless your going to shoot the rifle !
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:41:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-hanko

The .308 converted MAS rifles usually have an SKS type safety installed.

Mosin-Nagants do have a safety - you just have to turn the bolt handle.

Av.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:22:10 PM EDT
[#18]
ROAR!

Yeah, I figured that out. I just picked up a Nagant tody, 87.something. Nice, clean, matching numbers, good stock, clean bore. Reciever kinda looks like crap, shitty milling or something, and it has import markings (century arms, georgia) dot-matrixed on the side...

The action is werid, very very hard to pop the bolt vertical... aye. Oh well, came with a bunch of goodies, bayo, oil bottle, tools and ammo pouches.

I think I'm going to also get a Mauser too, any suggestions? I want to stay with in $200, I was thinking either Russian Capture or Persian. Do the Russain Captures have those awful electro penciled numbers scrached in every where? I'm told the numbers dont match.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:22:00 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
ROAR!

Yeah, I figured that out. I just picked up a Nagant tody, 87.something. Nice, clean, matching numbers, good stock, clean bore. Reciever kinda looks like crap, shitty milling or something, and it has import markings (century arms, georgia) dot-matrixed on the side...

The action is werid, very very hard to pop the bolt vertical... aye. Oh well, came with a bunch of goodies, bayo, oil bottle, tools and ammo pouches.

I think I'm going to also get a Mauser too, any suggestions? I want to stay with in $200, I was thinking either Russian Capture or Persian. Do the Russain Captures have those awful electro penciled numbers scrached in every where? I'm told the numbers dont match.

the crappy milling is becuase if you look at the date,,it will be a war time date,,most mosins made before and after the war have nice smooth recivers.
as for the mausers for under 200$
any of the yugo mausers (m48,m48a,m48b,24/57 ect or yugo  98 reworks)
turk mausers and 98/22's great rifles(98/22's are some of the smooothest actions) but these rifles are uaslly 6 inchs longer.
Rc 98's have electro-pencil all over them,,(thanks russia) the wrot eof the stocks,,the bolts,, the inside of the bore ya name it that and they are shellac'd like hell,,,all are mix'd and matched rifles.
spanish FR8,,if ya can find one under 200$ shoots 762x51
these are all large ring 98's... ya can spend a lil mopre or less on some swede's,,someof the other more ""collectable"" mausers. BUT
for a 1st mauser id get the yugo or a turk. since they are the easiest to find,,and the price is cheap enuff to allow you to buy loads of 8mm to go with em.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:20:50 AM EDT
[#20]
The best mosin nagant for the money is the M-39 from Finnland, the finns built this model on mostly russian receivers . The Finns built them to a higher standard than any other country. the result being some very accurate shooters. You combine that with the good surplus and new wolf ammo out there and you cant lose.

The best source for M-39 rifles would be Wholesale Guns And Ammo, they have a selection of rifles with receivers that were built before 1898 , so you can order them directly to your house with out a c&R or the hassle of going through a ffl. Dont be afraid of its age , even though the receiver was built before 1898 the rifles were rebuilt up to 1969 by the finns.    Its easy to get one with a Sako barrel, they will out shoot most other milsurpps in my opionion.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm a little upset with everyone... kinda
Just shot my Mosin-Nagant. Up until now I was under the impression that it was loud, unrulely and had violent recoil. Much to my dismay it was hardly louder than an AR or SKS, and the recoil is really only marginally worse then an AK or SKS (which have minimal to say the least). I guess if you only ever shoot ARs and .22s it’s a scary gun, however other wise it’s just a big pussy cat.

Maybe I should get one of  those carbines with the bayonete see if thats any worse.

Jack
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:45:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:06:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Once you shoot the Mosin, you will never go back.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:28:43 AM EDT
[#24]
There's a BIG difference between the shooting experiences of a 91/30 and an M44...

- georgestrings
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top