Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2004 4:50:17 PM EDT
Hi, I have been thinking about buying one of these lately, the price seems right. Most of the ads in Shotgun News say they are arsenal rebuilt, excellent shape. Are these a good buy, do they shoot good? Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#2]
i just bought one last week for $103. it was $59 and i upgraded to the tula/hex head. supposovly its a little more collectable than the standard grade. havnt seen it yet but theyre described as very good.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are these a good buy, do they shoot good? Thanks in advance

Yes.

+1

Some are in better shape than others, some shoot more accurately than others. But most all the ones I've seen shoot well enough that you could take a deer at 150 yards with the iron sights with no problems.

I have one of the Finnish versions and really like it. Just seems to fit and balance for me well.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:23:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I got a few of them, mine shoot well the M44s are my favorite though.
Around $60 is the going rate

Get one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:59:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Get one from www.aztecguns.com for 55 bucks plus shipping. Can't complain about a 55 dollar rifle.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:57:07 AM EDT
[#6]
i'm looking for one of these as well.  i just got my c&r and i'm looking for something to break it in.  

where is the best place to get one of these MNs?  

azrtecguns has ex-sniper models for $90.  (what is TULA?)
century arms has arsenal refinished M91/30 for $70.

where else are these available?  any preference on where to buy?

also, where do you get your surplus ammo?   you guys have convinced my to buy corrosive ammo and just clean w/ water or windex.  if i understand you right, just pour water down the barrel right after shooting on the range?  i don't have to take the gun apart?  

thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:02:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I got mine and ammo through AIM Surplus.

Get a case of 147Gr Czech ammo it will last awhile and its cheap.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:15:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
i'm looking for one of these as well.  i just got my c&r and i'm looking for something to break it in.  

where is the best place to get one of these MNs?  

azrtecguns has ex-sniper models for $90.  (what is TULA?)
century arms has arsenal refinished M91/30 for $70.

where else are these available?  any preference on where to buy?

also, where do you get your surplus ammo?   you guys have convinced my to buy corrosive ammo and just clean w/ water or windex.  if i understand you right, just pour water down the barrel right after shooting on the range?  i don't have to take the gun apart?  

thanks guys.

I believe TULA is one of the arsenals that they were made at. I have to say that my normal 55 dollar m91/30 from aztec is great though, you can't go wrong with it.  I also got an m44 from them in great condition.

For surplus I got some Czech silvertip from AIMsurplus.com, and they have some other stuff on there too.

For cleaning you got it about right, I spray a little bit on the bolt face too, since someone suggested that to me as well.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#9]
What are the bores like on most of these "excellent shape" rifles?

I bought two M91/30's from Aztec last spring. A $49 Ishvek and I spent a bit more for a Tula Hex - $69?? - and both bores were dark and rough. Can't complain for the price I paid. And proof these rifles were used against the German hordes.

But the bores sure don't match the outsides, complete opposites in fact. So I've been curious since I picked these up.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I tried to call Aztec about a week before the hurricanes began and the phone was disconnected.

I finally got the guy via email but I chose not to buy there.

I got a TN guns from AIM a while back.  All of the "reconditioned" guns that I have shoot ok .  They have shiny bores but are counterbored.

Dennis Jenkins

quote]Quoted:
What are the bores like on most of these "excellent shape" rifles?

I bought two M91/30's from Aztec last spring. A $49 Ishvek and I spent a bit more for a Tula Hex - $69?? - and both bores were dark and rough. Can't complain for the price I paid. And proof these rifles were used against the German hordes.

But the bores sure don't match the outsides, complete opposites in fact. So I've been curious since I picked these up.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks Dennis.

Neither one of mine are counterbored.

Like I said, for the price I paid I have no reason to complain. Was just curious.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought a 91/30 that was arsenal refinished. It is a hex head. I paid a little over $100. The cahmber was a little rough- hard to extract. Polished it up and now it is fine- watch out for laquered ammo. You will not believe the accuracy of these rifles until you try one.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 1:26:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Why would you watch out for laquered ammo?  They were made to shoot this ammo.

Because for some reason over time they get buildup/carbon in them. The biggest problems seem to come intermittently from the czech silvertip. After a good polishing/cleaning all seems to be well again.

www.clis.com/airground/lacquer/lacquer.htm

Get a Finn M39....you won't be dissapointed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top