Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2006 11:15:50 AM EDT
I was wasting some time in a gun shop today, and they had a NICE condition (I assume refinished) 91/30 with a hexagonal receiver for $89.  Is that a good deal, or is there more specific information I need to look for?  I am so used to seeing the crap that usually shows up at my local Dunhams that I was shocked to see a pretty nice Mosin.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#1]
If it comes with the accessories- sling, oiler, etc then that price is not too bad for a store.
The hex receiver is more rare than the rounds.
Arsenal refinsihed ones go at Wholesalers for about that price.
Check the bore.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#2]
It had a regular stock, not a laminated one... I may have to study up on them tonight and check it out tomorrow after work.  I didn't know enough to look at the arsenal mark, either.

Never really wanted one until I saw a nice one.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#3]
OK, I got a little more info on it... it is Izhevsk (triangle with the arrow) and has a 1928 date on it.    It also has an eagle with spread wings stamped on it.

Is this a somewhat sought after variation or pretty common?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Hex receivers are less common as they are earlier design.  For $89 I would jump on it.  Last show I was at they were selling hex receivered 91/30's for $125 each.   These two sites should tell you all you need to know:

7.62x54r.net/

www.mosinnagant.net/

Tons of information on all variations of these rifles.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:30:28 PM EDT
[#5]
the 91/30's dated before 1930 are dragoon guns converted to 91/30 configuration. they are a little tougher to find than post 1930 guns, id say go for it....
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I did it... hopefully will have pics tomorrow night.  Bore looked pretty good, didn't swallow a bullet, came with sling, oiler, pouches, bayonet.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:19:40 PM EDT
[#7]
If it has an eagle stamped on the top receiver flat, that means that receiver is from a pre-1918 rifle and was re-used when this one was made as a dragoon in 1928. Check the underside of the tang for the year the receiver was made.

The eagle is the Imperial Romanov Eagle of the Tsar Nicholas II. Anything post-revolution won't have an eagle.

Some late dragoons (this one now an ex-dragoon) were made on older receivers, usually 1914-1915 or so.  It's a neat feature to have, but not necessarily worth a lot more money.

But anyway $89 for that is a good deal. How's the bore?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top