Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2002 12:14:14 PM EDT
Not in question:
1. chromed barrels last longer and are probably more reliable especially under full-auto fire.
2. Chromed barrels are not generally considered as accurate as non-chromed bores.

Please help with these questions and correct my understanding (assume were talking about non-full auto here):
1. From my understanding (correct if wrong), AR rifles in the non-chromed configuration, tend to lose there accuracy from throat erosion more than rifeling wear. Does the chrome stop this erosion (or at least lessen it to a great degree)?
2. If the chrome helps protect the throat from this erosion, does anyone just chrome the Chamber and throat area and leave the rifling alone? (or is the throat considered part of the chamber?)
3. As I am sure that sooner or later, even a chromed throat area would wear faster in this area due to the high heat. When it does, does the chrome start chipping/flaking? How exactly does chrome wear off here?
4. How would a chromed chamber only, affect accuracy? Or would it? I understand why the rifling cant have thousandths variations and be accurate, but does thousandth variations in chambers have any real affect once the bullet is on the rifling?
5. Can a chromed barrel be lapped like a conventional barrel to remove the variations of chrome thickness. Obviously I would expect it to be more time consuming as the chrome is harder to wear away, but would it be that significantly more difficult to have the benefits of a chromed barrel while also being accurate?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#1]
A chrome bore can be quite accurate, but usually the bores are not prepaired as well on guns that will have chrome bores due to manufacturing time constraints.
Its kindov a tradeoff, like a paint job, the surface finish is determed by the prep work.
Yes you could lap a premiom barrel then chrome it then lap it to final however most chrome bore guns are not desighned to be sub MOA that is not Mil speck anyway.
I have seen and have Armalites with chrome bores that shoot 3/4 moa but generally a premiom stailess barrel is a better bet for top notch accuracy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top