Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2002 10:44:55 AM EDT
I just got a bone stock Remington Model 700 Police and rather than recreate the wheel, I thought I'd solicit advice from any owners here on what worked best for you.

I plan to put Badger Ordnance rings and a one piece base on it, as well as Leupold glass. There is a Harris bipod and a heavy duty leather sling in its future as well.

The trigger is nice and crisp, with no takeup before the break, but it could stand to be lightened a touch. I like the stock bolt handle.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#1]

ironbrigadearmory.com/home.html check out their PSS tune up.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd definately get the gun recrowned, but I don't think that overhaul posted by Mr Weasel is so hot, unless you are shooting like shit.  These guns are inherently accurate, so decide if you need anything befor you think you need something.  Definately get good solid mounts, but I believe that many people go overboard with the rings these days, especially with a 308 or 223.  I had my trigger tuned as well as polished my follower for some nice results.

I definately suggest getting the trigger worked before shooting it once, you'll be happy you did!
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 4:46:03 PM EDT
[#3]
'scuse me but..

Originally poster by Jarhead_22:

I just got a bone stock Remington Model 700 Police and rather than recreate the wheel, I thought I'd solicit advice from any owners here on what worked best for you.

from the site

"read more, study history, try new things, but don’t reinvent the wheel."

Spooky!
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#4]
My understanding of Iron Brigade is they're excellent but backed-up these days.  I took my LTR over to Hill Country Rifles in New Braunfels and had them do an accurizing job.  Not a full-blown mil workover but more of a heavy-duty varmint job.  HCR started with a complete test firing, disassembly and inspection of the rifle.  They found the boltface was straight and the lugs had good contact from the factory.  HCR re-crowned the barrel, bedded the pillars and rechecked the Shilen trigger we had already installed.  We measured a slight improvement in accuracy with factory GM308M ammo.  But what I wanted was the assurance the rifle would keep its accuracy.  Cost was about $285 and I feel like I got what I paid for.  They also did my M70 .300WM and it works good too.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Also: my bolt stop release is sticking once it's been pressed to remove the bolt. It looks like it's binding against the right side of the inside of the trigger inlet when the rifle is viewed upside down. It has to be lightly pried back up to allow the bolt stop to keep the bolt in the weapon.

Is this a known problem, or is it time to get it to a gunsmith now?
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 2:28:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Also: my bolt stop release is sticking once it's been pressed to remove the bolt. It looks like it's binding against the right side of the inside of the trigger inlet when the rifle is viewed upside down. It has to be lightly pried back up to allow the bolt stop to keep the bolt in the weapon.

Is this a known problem, or is it time to get it to a gunsmith now?

Dunno about that.  None of my 700's did that.  Try John at K2 Sports 972-234-5537 and ask him or James to take a look at it.  They're at Central and Arapaho.  Larry the gunsmith at McClelland's 214-321-0231 has a LOT of 700 experience too.  All these guys are good folks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 4:28:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 5:37:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Man, I am so green with envy right now. I've been drooling over those 700 for years now. But I have not been able to decide which caliber. That and not having any money for em kinda hinders a bit too. So when do I get the honor of shooting that puppy?

I made the deal for it just before I got laid off, and just took delivery of it. When I'm gainfully employed again I will put a base, rings and a scope on it, and then the first rounds will go downrange, and you're welcome to come on out and play when that day arrives.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 9:20:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 10:03:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 5:55:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Troy, what advantage do you get from the 5R barrel over the stock heavy barrel that comes on the 700 Police?
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 7:58:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Often the stock barrels (shouldn't be the case with 5R's tho) are a little rough and copper foul a bit too fast/much.  If yours does this, you may want to consider fire lapping the bore.

Likewise another DIY can be the triger adjustment.  I believe there are directions on snipercountry.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#13]
If you're looking for a tune-up, you can't go wrong with the Iron Brigade Armory PSS Tune-up.  Another smith to check is George Gardner of www.gaprecision.net his work is just awesome and his turnaround time is very fast.

Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:14:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:20:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Your plans for mounts and scope sound great.  I wouldn't do anything else to it except maybe adjust the trigger.  My two PSSs are very accurate.  Most of them are great as is.  Give it a try as is.  If it doesn't shoot well enough for you then look into upgrading the crown or barrel.  I doubt you will need to do it.  Don't fix it if it ain't broke.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:57:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Your plans for mounts and scope sound great.  I wouldn't do anything else to it except maybe adjust the trigger.  My two PSSs are very accurate.  Most of them are great as is.  Give it a try as is.  If it doesn't shoot well enough for you then look into upgrading the crown or barrel.  I doubt you will need to do it.  Don't fix it if it ain't broke.  Watch-Six

DEFINATELY adjust the trigger, they always come broken!  In the scheme of things, the $35 I spent on the trigger job was nothing compared to the benefit I gained after the second trip to the range.  Groups reduced from .75 to .43 with the same conditions and ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top