Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2012 7:09:35 PM EDT
This rifle is not for me.  My mom is wanting a rifle to shoot the tons of coyotes that are coming up to my parents house back at the family farm and is asking my dad to buy her one for Christmas.  She really loved my M1 Carbine back when I owned one, but she says the coyotes are usually 200 yards away or so.  Now, my mom can shoot pretty well, she was a did a lot of rifle shooting instruction at large summer camps back in her college days, but she is 63 and cannot see as great as back then.  I told her that I could build her an AR with an extra lower and scope I have laying around so she can at least see the coyotes.  Too bad she doesn't want one since I could build her one to fit, maybe a 14.5 LW mid length.  I think I will let her shoot my 11.5" SBR a bit to win her over.  Now a M1 carbine could work, but they have went up drastically in price since I had them years ago.

If she wants something a little more traditional, I think I am going to suggest a few of the following in either .223 or .243.  

Marlin X7
Remington model 7 (if I can find one at the right price)
Stevens 200
Savage model 11
Maybe a mossberg(I wish the MVP Predator that take AR mags was a little cheaper.
Marlin 336 30-30

Anyone got any other ideas that you think would work for a tough lady?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
This rifle is not for me.  My mom is wanting a rifle to shoot the tons of coyotes that are coming up to my parents house back at the family farm and is asking my dad to buy her one for Christmas.  She really loved my M1 Carbine back when I owned one, but she says the coyotes are usually 200 yards away or so.  Now, my mom can shoot pretty well, she was a did a lot of rifle shooting instruction at large summer camps back in her college days, but she is 63 and cannot see as great as back then.  I told her that I could build her an AR with an extra lower and scope I have laying around so she can at least see the coyotes.  Too bad she doesn't want one since I could build her one to fit, maybe a 14.5 LW mid length.  I think I will let her shoot my 11.5" SBR a bit to win her over.  Now a M1 carbine could work, but they have went up drastically in price since I had them years ago.

If she wants something a little more traditional, I think I am going to suggest a few of the following in either .223 or .243.  

Marlin X7
Remington model 7 (if I can find one at the right price)
Stevens 200
Savage model 11
Maybe a mossberg(I wish the MVP Predator that take AR mags was a little cheaper.
Marlin 336 30-30

Anyone got any other ideas that you think would work for a tough lady?

Try getting her to shoot one and she could see how easy it is to hit with.
That and continually talk how easy it is as far as recoil.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:37:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I am going to try to get her a little time out in the pasture with my ARs, SPS tac .308, and a bunch of steel targets over thanksgiving
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been really impressed with the Marlin bolt guns. Very nice rifles, at a very decent cost.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I have been really impressed with the Marlin bolt guns. Very nice rifles, at a very decent cost.

This. I checked out one this weekend. its a sweet rifle $500 for the predator model

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I also hear the marlins are very light and quick handling.  Light weight in.223 with a 1/9 twist should fit the bill pretty nicely.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:56:11 PM EDT
[#6]
of what you listed I'd go with a Savage 11 FCNS in either 223 or 243
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:23:40 AM EDT
[#7]
At the gunshop near me there is a Weatherby Vanguard in 223 with a 20" barrel, it would make a sweet coyote rifle. It's around $400, maybe you could find one of those.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:49:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, I have also thought about the Weatherby as well.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:23:04 AM EDT
[#9]
If you like the Weatherby, the Howa Ranchland Defense rifles are a pretty slick version of the same rifle. Very slick handling little gun.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the Savage 11 Hog hunter in .223 & would work well for your Mom.  A nice size, accurate (mine does under Moa with 65- 75 gr. bullets), little over $400 & threaded bbl to put on a brake  to soften it up or allow you to see your misses.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:02:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you like the Weatherby, the Howa Ranchland Defense rifles are a pretty slick version of the same rifle. Very slick handling little gun.

Well after checking them out, it seems they have 1/12 twist.  I would prefer a faster twist like 1/9

The hog hunter from savage is nice too.  I found  savage model 11s with Nikon scopes with a 20" barrel youth model or a 22" non-youth for 500.  Or with a Bushnell scope for 383.  I think I might try to get her to go to a store to see how the youth fits.

Has anyone used the scopes that come with them?  They don't have to be great or anything, just usable.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:03:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well after checking them out, it seems they have 1/12 twist.  I would prefer a faster twist like 1/9

The hog hunter from savage is nice too.  I found  savage model 11s with Nikon scopes with a 20" barrel youth model or a 22" non-youth for 500.  Or with a Bushnell scope for 383.  I think I might try to get her to go to a store to see how the youth fits.

Has anyone used the scopes that come with them?  They don't have to be great or anything, just usable.

Yeah, the twist sucks, but I shot a considerable amount of 75gr SMK through mine with very good accuracy.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:16:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Good to know since I have a bunch of 75gr Prvi match that I was going to let her shoot.  I told her to measure her length of pull so we can figure out if she would fit the youth or regular models better.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I found that too. I was interested in buying that one, but not anymore.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:16:48 AM EDT
[#16]
200yd coyote rifle?

what about a H&R handi riffle? or is a repeater necessary?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:19:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
200yd coyote rifle?

what about a H&R handi riffle? or is a repeater necessary?

Would prefer somewhat quick follow up shots.  

Quoted:
Howa?

Tikka?

Great rifles, but so far every .223 Howa I have found has been 1/12 twist.  The Tikkas have 1/8, which is great, but they are cost a little more than what I think she wants.  I really like the Lite model though.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:27:46 AM EDT
[#18]
this sounds like a job for a rifle in 204 ruger. 4000 fps, light recoil
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:30:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
this sounds like aj ob for a rifle in 204 ruger. 4000 fps, light recoil

Rather stick with the more common .223 (especially since I have a lot of 75gr. match)
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:24:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I noticed the other day that Gander Mountain has Remington 700ADL packages on sale for like $389..scope is probably not all that great but for the price it sure sounds nice, you can always upgrade the scope later if you like, they have them in 243 as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top