Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2001 10:14:18 AM EDT
Has anyone used mobile 1 at 20 degrees or below.  Or at 0 degrees F Im wondering if it will cause any problems when it gets thick?

I use 4 part 15-40 to 1 part STP Oil Treatment on the bolt face area only.

It stays put even during the hottest days but havent shot it at 20 degrees or below.  gj.

[email protected]

moaammo.com    
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd keep the engine oil for the car and use only rifle oil on a rifle. A rifle and an engine are 2 entirely different environments, and what lubes one of them won't work on the other.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#2]
NH2112:
 My ? was if it causes problems in severe or low temps.I already know it works under normal conditions.
All gun oils Ive tried fail to stick around under the high speeds and hi temps and pressures that the bolt operates under in the AR-15.

After 300 rounds this mix is still very much present.  gj.

www.moaammo.com          
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#3]
gj,

Ok, I will respond just so you won't think that you are crazy.  Yes, I use Mobil-! for my pistol and AR.  Why...like you said...because it is the Only thing that stays after firing 300 rounds in my pistol.  All other lubes are Missing-In-Action when I disassemle the gun when I get home.  But, with the Mobil-1, I disassembly the gun, and there is the Mobil-1 still there, still doing its job.

In closing (making enemies I suppose), You Can't Teach An Old Dog New Tricks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I suggest using grease.  I've been using the Slick 50 teflon grease on my guns and have had good results so far.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#5]
gj,

Having the wrong lube stick around is no better than having the right lube MIA. All I can say is Mobil 1 is called engine oil and not gun oil for a reason. It may still be on the rifle after 300 or so rounds, but that just means it's not flowing like gun oil should.

Just how many rounds should gun lube last for? It IS permitted to lube it again during firing, and even recommended in most cases. A firearm has an open lube system, which means the oil is free to evaporate or be splashed off and should be replaced as necessary. Then you have to look at the makeups of gun oil vs engine oil - the environment inside an engine is very different from the environment inside a firearm, and an oil designed for one environment won't work well in another. If you're using engine oil on your rifle because you think it's better, well, it isn't. If you're using engine oil on your rifle because a quart of Mobil 1 costs $4 and a quart of CLP is a lot more expensive, all I can say is that's the best example of being penny-wise and pound-foolish I've ever heard.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 5:45:19 PM EDT
[#6]
The problem with most question regarding lubricants and firearms that is almost of the opinions voiced are based on subjective standards.  How do quantify, it runs real smooth or slick as hell.  

The following URL is one I have saved to my favorites and to my HD.  It is rather long and very informative, there is data on it by some chemical engineers that do a good job explaining some of the popular lubricants out there.  There is a discussion of motor oils and if they can be used as fire arms lubes.  One of the most notable things I noticed that when the discuss the chemical types that miltec and FP-10 cannot do what they claim and actually form acids when they decompose.

www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56135&perpage=25&pagenumber=1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top