Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2004 5:28:21 PM EDT
Just picked up a good condition(well used/well loved) Remmie 11 in 12 guage. It has the 27" full choke barrel. After paying off the layaway at the local fgunstore, I told them to hold it to have the gunsmith trim the barrel to 20" and put a new bead on it. The gunsmith said that he won't take it below the minimum length of any factory length barrel(which is 24") because it won't function reliably.

I got the idea from a thread here where people where showing off their shotties. Someone had an older Remmie 11 set up with a 20" barrel(and I believe a mag ext also) that looked positively wicked. Inspiring really.

Anyone got any experience with abbreviating the barrels on a Remington recoil operated automatics that could shine some light on this?

TIA

wganz

Day #11 awaiting on my Team Membership to be processed.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Alot of the goverment issued 11"s that they gave to the banks in the 20's worked fine.They were almost all 20 inchers.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:56:45 AM EDT
[#2]
My dad owns a Rem. Mod. 11 riot gun with either an 18" or 20" barrel.  He bought it from the DCM in the mid 60's for the outrageous sum of $18.

The Mod 11 is recoil opperated.  Cutting down the barrel will have no affect on the functioning of the gun.

Kent
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a 11-48, which functions like an 11, with 18.5" barrel.  It functions fine.

I also added a Choate extended mag tube, holds 7+1.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:39:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Bonnie Parker...the infamous outlaw bitch...had several cut well below 20"...probably around 12-14in. in 20ga...her favorite murder weapon. They apparently worked fine for her. And Henderson Jordan...one of the LEOs involved with the final solution to the Barrow Gang...used a 12ga. with short barrel that also worked very well for him.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Patience my son.  If you paid by PayPal it should go faster than if you paid by check or money order.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:47:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patience my son.  If you paid by PayPal it should go faster than if you paid by check or money order.

Sorry, but PayPal won't let you buy firearms so I'm not going to support my enemies.  Don't understand why postal money orders/¢a$h is such a difficult concept to handle.

Went by B&S Guns in Garland today and Randy, their gunsmyth, did it for me in 30 minutes while I waited for $60. May take it to Tom Bean Saturday to try it out.  

Thanks to all for the input.

wganz

Day #15 awaiting on my Team Membership to be processed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top