Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 3:59:24 PM EDT
I know this is arfcom, but I am posting for an Inet challenged friend who is looking to sell it to build up funds for a proper EBR.  Since I don't know particularly much about the model, or where to look for info, I figured this would be as good a place as any to start.

I haven't seen the carbine in person, but from what I understand, it is stainless with a folder [also has the original wood stock], has a 4X Weaver, and some presumably stainless 40-round mags.  Sorry, I know that isn't much to go on.

Any suggestions as to approximate value, as well as what I should look for "feature-wise" when I do put my hands on it would be most appreciated.  No, I am not thinking of buying it [wouldn't want to waste the safe space], just trying to help a buddy out.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#1]
$350 - $400 tops

The mags are virtually valueless.

Without knowing who made the folding stock, it's almost worthless.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:23:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I wasn't even thinking that much.

On the folder, can you give any suggestions as to what manufacturer would be desireable as compared with those to be avoided?

I have read about the mag issues for this model.... again, suggestions on good, bad, ugly?

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless it's a Ruger factory folder it's a write off.

My estimate was based on the assumption that the rifle is in 90% or better condition and it's Ranch model.  Adjust downward if condition is worse or it is a standard Mini-14 Model.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Please pardon my ignorance on this model, but what is the difference between Ranch and standard?  

The owner has several very nice weapons [that he takes quite good care of], so I am confident the condition is quite good, and he commented that very few rounds have been down the pipe.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#5]
The Ranch model has mounts for a scope and typically comes with Scope Rings.

The Standar Mini-14 does not.  If you want to mount a scope on the standard Mini-14 you have to drill holes in the receiver and stock.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:19:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Please pardon my ignorance on this model, but what is the difference between Ranch and standard?  

www.gunblast.com/Ruger_RanchRifle.htm

You can usually buy them all day long at $300 or so.  Great handling rifle, but so many issues.  There was a thread here several months ago about improvements Ruger is planning to make to the platform, hopefully they will follow through.

On the flipside, I have a Mini-14 I've been offered $1100 for
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:24:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I sold my ranch rifle at the funshow for 375.0, It was in very good condition.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The Standar Mini-14 does not.  If you want to mount a scope on the standard Mini-14 you have to drill holes in the receiver and stock.

I am familiar with the typical Ruger rings; presumably, it would be a ranch model then, since it has a scope, and knowing how this guy thinks.  Thanks for that most beneficial tidbit!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am familiar with the typical Ruger rings; presumably, it would be a ranch model then, since it has a scope, and knowing how this guy thinks.  Thanks for that most beneficial tidbit!

You're welcome.  I hope all goes well for you and your friend.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the link Y5; I'll read it again thoroughly when I have a bit more time.  

I think that my friend may just have a pretty decent example of the lower end category.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top