Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2005 6:21:22 PM EDT
Does anyone know if there is a special tool to remove the factory FH from a Mini-14GB or AC-556?

Have a suppressor pending, and want to get the factory FH off.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:56:58 AM EDT
[#1]
If there is, nobody seems to have one. I use a long, modified hex wrench 'inside' the hider and it works great, but most people just use a screwdriver through the vanes (they're stronger than they look).

Check the 'shoulder' on your barrel carefully, mine wasn't all that good, I had to have it cleaned up.

I presume you know the Ruger threads are an odd size?  9/16-24
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:59:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I presume you know the Ruger threads are an odd size?

9/16x24? RH, correct?

i was aware they are an odd size. I was thinking about the screwdriver idea, but i didn't want to snap it. got any pics of the modified hex setup?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:28:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
9/16x24? RH, correct?

Correct.  

Getting an adapter from TROS?

got any pics of the modified hex setup?

No I don't, sorry.  

It's just a cheapo wrench that I ground on a bit to get a snug fit. I can't recall the exact size, but it was metric, and just barely oversize.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:35:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Getting an adapter from TROS?

Thinking about it!

First i wanted to make sure the FH would come off, and secondly, i need to wait for the form 4 to clear.

I only knew of one person that tried to take off their FH, and it snapped. this was...shit....10 years ago. Don't remember much of the details as to how they did it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:24:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Ruger threaded some of thier FH's LH to discourage removal. The Ruger guy who brought us our AC556's specifically asked us not to attempt to remove the FH "using traditional methods" as to avoid damaging thier guns. He asked that we send the weapon back to Ruger if we should need it removed. This really pissed me off, mostly because I hate Ruger and I grilled him about this in such a manner he refused to look me in the eye again. His response was basically that there was some concern that the public would replace thier FH with an illegal/dangerous suppressor exposing them to potential liability and that the OEM piece was specifically designed for that weapon and provides optimum peformance, which I totally agree its an excellent unit. I love Ruger

guns, but hate thier management....I have seen three AC556's with LH FH's and dozens of GB's threaded LH....this will be a problem if you are "using traditional methods" to remove your FH.
I have never had an easy time getting Ruger FH's off. I use a torch and vice grips with a vice.
I would not reccomend placing anything in the vanes as they are strong, but they can and do break. Trust me, I bought a 55.00 stainless unit because of this....plus they bend which can reduce performance.My hard earned advice is to have a smith do it the first time...then its on someone else if it breaks....subsequent removal should be much easier, however I would adapt it to accept an A1 FH if you are going to be taking it off frequently. This will be much easier to remove by virtue of it not being round....good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top