Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2010 10:51:40 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#1]

How about the contract over run SR-25, XM-110 Pouches like this for $15 each:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Crye-Multi-Cam-M1A-Magazine-pouch-Coyote-ABU-MARPAT-/380297907505?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588b858d31

Available in Multicam, Coyote, UCP, ABU, MarPat, Woodland, OD, Black, $12.50-$15.00 each.  Mil-spec, MOLLE compatable, 2 x 20rd Mags.  They even have 10rd Mag Pouches for California and New Jersey compliant.

The GI MOLLE II 2-mag M4 Pouches and 3-Mag Shingles will also fit M-14, FAL, M-110 Mags available in Woodland, 3-Color Desert, UCP and Coyote for $5-10each:

You can even get the aftermarket Tru-Spec/Atlanco-mfg 2-mag M4 CQB Pouch in Multicam for about $10-15each:

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 12:48:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Those plastic buckles on the new M14 pouches suck. My Tactical Tailor pouches have the exact same ones. While durable I have found with two mags in the pouch it is not easy or fast to unbuckle the flap. I think the ALICE silent clasp is a lot better for this....

These are what I'm thinking of trying

Where can I even find GI ALICE m14 pouches?
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 8:17:05 AM EDT
[#3]

I bought a few of these a couple years back.  I've never taken them to a class or rolled around in the mud with them, but they do seem well-made.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 8:28:38 AM EDT
[#4]
This might be different than what you are looking for since you have mentioned "older" style carriers, implying economic cost.  I have one of these on each of my first lines and LOVE them, they hold max 3 AR, 2 AK or 2 AR10 mags, and have the ability to have the retention adjusted.  The AR 10 mags come to the top of the pouch and I use 550 cord and tape to make a magpul...
They are the Tactial Tailor 3 mag pouches
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 9:14:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Those plastic buckles on the new M14 pouches suck. My Tactical Tailor pouches have the exact same ones. While durable I have found with two mags in the pouch it is not easy or fast to unbuckle the flap. I think the ALICE silent clasp is a lot better for this....

These are what I'm thinking of trying

Where can I even find GI ALICE m14 pouches?

The only GI nylon M14 pouches were experimental USMC ones from the late 60s. Your best bet if you want ALICE type pouches is to use the ALICE 3 M16 mag pouches with the flaps cut out or these fantasy 2 M14 mag pouches with dividers.
Dustin
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This might be different than what you are looking for since you have mentioned "older" style carriers, implying economic cost.  I have one of these on each of my first lines and LOVE them, they hold max 3 AR, 2 AK or 2 AR10 mags, and have the ability to have the retention adjusted.  The AR 10 mags come to the top of the pouch and I use 550 cord and tape to make a magpul...

These are the best option if you need something to carry both 5.56 and 7.62 mags. I had three on my vest so I could carry 6 M14 mags, 6 M4 mags and something else in the third pouch, or 8/9 M4 mags depending on the weapon I was carrying and the mission. If you want a dedicated 7.62 pouch then there are better options out there.
Dustin
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 12:37:32 PM EDT
[#7]
In the Shotgun News you will find a vendor who advertises drawing of the products, Charley's Surplus, who has the  US Navy-issue Alice-style double M14 with dividers for $12.95 each:

http://www.charleyssurplus.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=38_132&product_id=1449

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In the Shotgun News you will find a vendor who advertises drawing of the products, Charley's Surplus, who has the  US Navy-issue Alice-style double M14 with dividers for $12.95 each:
http://www.charleyssurplus.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=38_132&product_id=1449
http://www.charleyssurplus.com/image/cache/data/Field%20Gear/Pouches%20And%20Treching%20Gear/M14%20Navy%20Issue%20OD%20Nylon%20copy-300x300.jpg

These are the ones I linked to above. IIRC, on US Military forum these were discussed and are most likely not USGI.
Dustin
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 3:02:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Oo I like those fmco molle versions of the alice pouches. Mmm
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 4:06:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#15]
raf, if you are interested I'll send you some old OD Green UMMP singles to play with..

CXS
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 5:12:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

These are the best option if you need something to carry both 5.56 and 7.62 mags. I had three on my vest so I could carry 6 M14 mags, 6 M4 mags and something else in the third pouch, or 8/9 M4 mags depending on the weapon I was carrying and the mission. If you want a dedicated 7.62 pouch then there are better options out there.
Dustin

The bungee cord eliminates almost all of the mag rattle, but some inner-tube bands or magpuls might still be in order.  That said, unless you cinch down on the bungee really tight, once one mag is withdrawn, the rest of the mags can rattle, and perhaps be lost.   Tightening the bungee to such an extent makes mag installation impossible unless the bungee is released, and makes extraction a real slow hassle.   This highlights the importance of a tight-fitting, purpose-made pouch with curtains/dividers that help retain the mags and totally eliminate rattles.

As appealing as a one-size-fits-all pouch might be, this one does not (quite) make it.

TT is good kit, though.  No doubt about it.  I own some items made by them, and they are all GTG.

This would only be a problem when holding 3 5.56 mags. If you have 2 7.62 mags in there after you take the first one out there is nothing for the second mag to rattle against and the velcro flap keeps it from falling out. The only "one size fits all" pouch other than something similar to those would be the HSGI TACOs.
Dustin
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Maybe I should elaborate on my preference for full-flapped pouches.

Hereabouts, we get snow, sleet (frozen raindrops), and freezing rain.  The worst of all this is the latter.  If one has open-topped mag pouches, the freezing rain will infiltrate the mag via any sort of drain hole in the base plate of the mag and mebbe lock it up solid.

Instant failure, even if you can extract the frozen mag from the frozen pouch.

Not to mention that any sort of crawling in the dirt will inject crud into exposed holes in the mag baseplates.  You folks in the real desert alredy know how fine dust infiltrates everywhere; having a mag exposed to sand (if crawling) and fine wind-blown dust is a prescription for failure.

I know some very knowledgeable folks prefer the bungee top open mags, but I don't.  YMMV.

What works in one environment does not serve well in other environments.  Tere is a reason why most Mil mag pouches are full-flapped.  

Might want to think about that.

You will see a return of Flapped pouches if we return to Jungle Fighting..

Everything old is new again..

CXS

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dustin

The bungee cord eliminates almost all of the mag rattle, but some inner-tube bands or magpuls might still be in order.  That said, unless you cinch down on the bungee really tight, once one mag is withdrawn, the rest of the mags can rattle, and perhaps be lost.   Tightening the bungee to such an extent makes mag installation impossible unless the bungee is released, and makes extraction a real slow hassle.   This highlights the importance of a tight-fitting, purpose-made pouch with curtains/dividers that help retain the mags and totally eliminate rattles.

As appealing as a one-size-fits-all pouch might be, this one does not (quite) make it.

TT is good kit, though.  No doubt about it.  I own some items made by them, and they are all GTG.

This would only be a problem when holding 3 5.56 mags. If you have 2 7.62 mags in there after you take the first one out there is nothing for the second mag to rattle against and the velcro flap keeps it from falling out. The only "one size fits all" pouch other than something similar to those would be the HSGI TACOs.

Dustin

The issue here is that cinching the bungee tight enough to quiet two mags, AND allow easy  withdrawal of the first mag allows the remaining mag to possibly bebome dislodged during movement.  I've tried it.  Believe me, i've tried it.

See my post on open-topped vs.full-flapped pouches in this thread.  You raise a good point, but please read on/

coughinternalstirrupcough

coughtheoldodummpsareonly$10plusshippingandthatstoanyonesincewearediscontinuingodgreencough

CXS

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You will see a return of Flapped pouches if we return to Jungle Fighting..

Everything old is new again..

CXS

Not my business to tell you how to run your company, but it might not be  bad idea to figger into each mag pouch design a full flap alternative, just in case.

RI is in a wierd climate area, and freezing rain is not uncommon.  I'm here to tell ya, it's a straight-out bitch if camping or doing anything outdoors.  Y'all being based in NC might not have much experience with this; mebbe you should think about such things, and plan ahead for the next war.  

Flaps on pouches will not go away at HSGI.

Gene still has that old-school recon mentality about humping shit in the nastiest of places..

We actually have a protoype flap for the TACO's..

CXS

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

coughinternalstirrupcough

coughtheoldodummpsareonly$10plusshippingandthatstoanyonesincewearediscontinuingodgreencough

CXS

Making your links live would be helpful to the general conversation.

Oh, I see.  You are worried about advertising products for sale here.  NVM.

LOL!!!!

I just checked and it seems the old ass OD UMMP's are off the site.

I know we have a box at the shop.

CXS

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 9:22:48 PM EDT
[#27]
How well do the UMMP's hold the mags?

I need to replace my TT pouches... female buckle mounted flat to the body of the pouch sucks big time. OD green with a dusting of krylon would be nice
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 5:26:09 AM EDT
[#28]
I just talked to Becky.

The reason she took them off the site is the stitching is not as clean as we like.

I put em back up there. 20 left..

And I was mistaken by the price..

CXS
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 6:13:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Maybe I should elaborate on my preference for full-flapped pouches.

Hereabouts, we get snow, sleet (frozen raindrops), and freezing rain.  The worst of all this is the latter.  If one has open-topped mag pouches, the freezing rain will infiltrate the mag via any sort of drain hole in the base plate of the mag and mebbe lock it up solid.

Instant failure, even if you can extract the frozen mag from the frozen pouch.

Not to mention that any sort of crawling in the dirt will inject crud into exposed holes in the mag baseplates.  You folks in the real desert alredy know how fine dust infiltrates everywhere; having a mag exposed to sand (if crawling) and fine wind-blown dust is a prescription for failure.

I know some very knowledgeable folks prefer the bungee top open mags, but I don't.  YMMV.

What works in one environment does not serve well in other environments.  Tere is a reason why most Mil mag pouches are full-flapped.  

Might want to think about that.

I have considered that before. I suppose it all depends on your location and mission. If your priorities are keeping your mags clean and quickly reloading isn't important something like an ALICE pouch would be a good choice.
My personal preference are the Eagle Industries M14 Pouches or similar, I just wish they sold the "single" pouch that holds two mags instead of four as well. I also like the HSGI TACOs and Tactical Tailor 7.62 shingles.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 9:09:59 AM EDT
[#30]
RAF

the G3 mags do have dividers. They will hold cetme g3,fal,14 mags with out issue. You will need the alice adpator or a german belt/lbe ( which is super sturdy imho) but they are hard to come by. They canbe modded to use a malice/alice if you put some time in.

that said. Im happy with the UMMPs i have.

My only gripe is, with AK mags they could be a tad deeper, as since the mags are curved the flap kinda doesnt cover them 100%.( i like my mags covered as well..reason i run the old style BHI 2 cell ,3 mag pouches.)

My other mags have zero issues in them( the ummps).
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 11:34:14 PM EDT
[#31]

The GI MOLLE II 2-mag M4 Pouches and 3-Mag Shingles will also fit M-14, FAL, M-110 Mags available in Woodland, 3-Color Desert, UCP and Coyote for $5-10each:

http://i.ebayimg.com/05/!Bp(4(kw!2k~$(KGrHqQOKjgEu,dE6H-RBLrE(FNQrg~~_12.JPG

Some GI MOLLE 2X30-rd 5.56 pouches will hold 1X20-rd 7.62 mags, but some do it bettere than others. The pouch with the bungee cord at the top does it pretty well, but it is not easy to find. Even so, it is not ideal, but close; a magpul or the like is required on account of the depth of the pouch.

I'm not sure how one fits 2 M1A mags into a 3X30 M-16 shingle. Perhaps you can elaborate.

My SDS-mfg Woodland 3-mag shingle I could actually fit 6 AR Mags or 3 FAL Mags.  The end sections were very snug with 2 AR mags in each end.  But FAL Mags weren't too bad.   Depends on how many times the pouch has been machine washed and dried.

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:34:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'd be very interested in a report on any items that FMCO makes.  I'm ready to buy some of their products.  If it is not too much trouble, perhaps you can elaborate on the items you bought.  

Raf, sorry for the slow reply.  I forgot about this thread.  
A year or so back, I bought (3) of the 7.62mm (M-14) 20rd mag pouches for ALICE attachment.
They do offer MOLLE-compatible gear as well, but I was building up an old-school suspenders rig.
When they arrived, my impression was these were built to the equivalent standard of USGI M-16 30rd mag pouches.
They were stitched well, and had heft to them (not thin flimsy material, but sturdy/substantial).  
The silent clasp looks and functions the same as a USGI 30rd M16 mag pouch clasp.
I built the rig, and then hung it in a closet.  I have never field-tested any of it.
That's really all I can offer, other than I would be favorably inclined to buy more of their products in the future.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top