Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2005 5:33:49 PM EDT
Would like to scope my M1A and was considering a mill-dot. Really tho, all I want to use the mill-dot for is for hold over and windage. Is this a dumb idea or not? How big will the dots be....too big to be of any real use at the longer distances? In other words, will they end up covering a smaller target and be more of a hindrance? Never had one in the field to look at so I don't have any clue what to expect. Thanks.  Greg
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:10:09 AM EDT
[#1]
They could pose a problem for small targets at distance.  However, they are great for ranging- estimation.  Take the estimated height of your target in yards, multiply it by 1000, and divide it by the height of your target in mil dots (as seen through your scope), and presto; instant accurate range.  This will allow you to adjust your scope elevation, for the proper range, and you will be able to use your cross hair, on smaller targets for more precise shot placement.  You may also want to look at a German style reticule.  I believe they use a hash-mark system, which may allow you to do hold overs on a small target.
MB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top