Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2006 2:38:36 PM EDT
Dont know where the correct forum here is to ask this one, but here goes. I have a current set of headphones/boom microphone headset. I want to fit it inside/underneth a standard USGI Kevlar helmet. How does it the thing get installed properly?  I've seen it on movies like Blackhawk Down, etc. Just cant seem to get it all fitted up inside without the helmet sticking up too far. Here is the gear I own:

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you sure that's the same gear that's intended to be worn with a helmet?

The headsets I've seen that go under a helmet have only one earcup, and the part that supports it from your head is all webbing, not rigid metal and plastic.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know but try the Armory section, at the bottom of the page is the Tactical Gear forum.  Those guys always show helmets with headsets and stuff like that.Hope it helps!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw this same setup used on Blackhawk Down movie, so take it for what thats worth.

If a mod can kindly move this post to that more correct thread, I'd appreciate that.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#4]
We tried the Liberator headset which looks similar. Put the ears the headset through the loop created on each side of the helmet straps. Pull the communication wiring thru the loop, then put on the helmet. You will have to adjust the chinstrap out to accomodate the extra bulk of the headset padding. It is not too comfortacbe.

Full-Auto
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I saw this same setup used on Blackhawk Down movie, so take it for what thats worth.

If a mod can kindly move this post to that more correct thread, I'd appreciate that.

I don't think BHD's operator's wore the headsets with the earcups....did they?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Some of the Delta Operators were wearing OTTO Engineering single speaker lightweight headsets,

OTTO
I think the actor playing Gary Gordon had one.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:54:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I think the movie showed Captain Steele wearing a headset under his PASGT.  I currently run a Peltor COMTAC under an RBR side-cut helmet.  It also fits under a standard MICH.  One thing I would recommend if you are running a standard PASGT-type helmet would be to replace the chinstrap with the Oregon Aero 4-point version.  The cups will sit in between the forward and rear straps on both sides which will help keep them in place.

Also, judging by the picks of the headset, you might want to invest in a low-profile version that will actually fit under the helmet (or get a bigger helmet).
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:03:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Unless you have a ACH2000 (MICH), you pretty much have to go with either a soft (all webbing) mount like the PRR or one that doesn't go under the helmet.  There are a couple that either go behind the neck or over the helmet.  The PASGT/LWH suspension doesn't work well with under the helmet mounts.  The OA BLSS system pretty much has the same problem because of the suspension ring used, their BLU kit on the hand is attached right to the helmet with Velcro similar to the way the ACH 2000 mounts its pads.  With the BLU upgrade you can use a LWH or a PASGT with small under the helmet head sets, however you have to make sure the ear cups still fit.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:20:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Your headset is not designed to be worn under a helmet.  Its a pre GWOT headset for folks who rode around in vehicles.  It attaches to any radio, from a PRC-25 to an ASIP.  The smaller cable thingy is an Aviation plug in for a helmet with PTT and what looks to be a connector for some type of Motarola radio.  Dont know how that would work as there are all kinds of impedence issues between Mil aviation and civ aviation, let alone ground to air.  

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:20:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top