Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2017 9:10:45 AM EDT
Do you think that many people would be interested in a tool that would put the military type crimp on primed brass
I have looked for one before, but I have not seen anything that has been manufactured for the general public.
This could be useful for people for proofing loads, brass with loose primer pockets and for people who want to make their loads mil-spec
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#1]
for me,   no.

by the time the pockets are loose, the brass is hammered.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:51:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
for me,   no.

by the time the pockets are loose, the brass is hammered.
View Quote
I know that I have had to pitch quite a few perfectly usable primed 300 AAC Blackout cases simply because the primers were loose.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:02:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:21:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Some prep'ers might like it. Most reloaders probably not. Maybe post on a prep'er forum and see what they say?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:33:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I would think that a dab of super glue would hold a primer in better than a crimp for a prepper who never plans to reload that brass again.

A crimping tool would not appeal to me at all. I want the opposite.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:35:58 PM EDT
[#6]
No

Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#7]
To me, it sounds dangerous.

If your primer pockets are coming loose after one or two firings, your load is way too hot.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
To me, it sounds dangerous.

If your primer pockets are coming loose after one or two firings, your load is way too hot.
View Quote
Fc  cases primer pockets can be loose after 1-2 firings.

Not a hot 1st reload either.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Fc  cases primer pockets can be loose after 1-2 firings.

Not a hot 1st reload either.
View Quote
I don't see a crimp as a fix for soft brass.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:38:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I've seen mention of using a LARGE priming tool to form a circular crimp on SMALL primer cases.  

How useful is a crimp for someone "rolling his own" ammunition?  Not terribly.  Primer crimping is helpful in full auto weapons with high rates of fire.  It was originally set as a standard for US military ammunition because of primers popping in .30 caliber belt fed machine guns.  Since writing contracts is tedious and often error prone, there is (or at least used to be) basically a list of all the MIL-SPECs that bulk-issued GI ammunition has to conform to, and one is crimped primers.  GI M41 .38 Spl had crimped primers...

I'm not saying this isn't a potentially useful tool.  But it would have a very small target audience - and probably need to be built to work on a progressive reloader.

And as others have said, except for the tool Assault Rifler mentions, a tool to tighten primer pockets doesn't seem like a good idea.  Loose primer pockets are generally God's way of telling you that you've overused those cases and it's time to recycle them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:05:10 PM EDT
[#12]
My post was moved but the poll was not.
Prior to it being moved about 40% of the respondents said that they would be interested in a tool like this.
I would say that 40% would be a significant number.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
It also has pretty bad reviews and wouldn't really be helpful if you already pressed in a new primer.
After all, it isn't like you can tell before hand which cases have loose primer pockets.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:49:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It also has pretty bad reviews and wouldn't really be helpful if you already pressed in a new primer.
After all, it isn't like you can tell before hand which cases have loose primer pockets.
View Quote
https://ballistictools.com/store/swage-gage-small-primer-pocket
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#15]
This is an AWESOME tool.  I have both the small and large gauges, and they tell me two things: whether the pocket crimp on GI brass is properly removed, and whether or not the pocket is serviceable.

I have recycled exactly two cases because of unserviceable pockets; one because a previous loader had used a countersink to remove the original crimp (that primer looked BAD when it came out), and one that was just sloppy.  I'd have trashed the first one just by looks, but I needed confirmation that the second one was bad.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:21:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That would be a tool with very little appeal.

300 blk is so easily formed from 223 which is cheap to free.
View Quote
Free or cheap maybe but after processing 1000's it still sucks to have to pitch them because of a loose primer pocket.

I've had LC that was loose after converting without even being fired

I'd consider crimping cases like that for a "one last use" subsonic load. Keep them for when shooting somewhere where brass recovery isn't likely
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:39:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This is an AWESOME tool.  I have both the small and large gauges, and they tell me two things: whether the pocket crimp on GI brass is properly removed, and whether or not the pocket is serviceable.

I have recycled exactly two cases because of unserviceable pockets; one because a previous loader had used a countersink to remove the original crimp (that primer looked BAD when it came out), and one that was just sloppy.  I'd have trashed the first one just by looks, but I needed confirmation that the second one was bad.
View Quote
I've had two minor issues with the tool so far:

1.  sometimes the gage will go in like half way and it's tempting to force it in.  I did this once and got the damn thing stuck and had pry it off using two small wrenches as sort of a pry bar and bent the tool slightly

2. I think the go part of the gage is a bit large.  Had some known crimped primer pockets that I ran through the RCBS military crimp remover and then the RCBS primer pocket uniformer and the go part still went part way in.  So going forward going 1/2 way in is a "go" for me
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No

View Quote
No doubt...

I actually see no real reason for a crimp period.  The cases are new when they loaded at the factory, so its not like they are going pop out even at 5.56 pressures.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No doubt...

I actually see no real reason for a crimp period.  The cases are new when they loaded at the factory, so its not like they are going pop out even at 5.56 pressures.
View Quote
Well, it isn't like you can find factory loaded tracers, AP and API in 300 Blackout, .308 and 30.06.
I actually started only using factory primed brass for my SHTF FAL and RFB .308 magazines and 1919 .308 and 30.06 belts because I was seeing to many popped primers, even loaded at factory pressures/loads.
These mags and belts are loaded ball, ball, tracer, AP and lastly API.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My post was moved but the poll was not.
Prior to it being moved about 40% of the respondents said that they would be interested in a tool like this.
I would say that 40% would be a significant number.
View Quote
For sure. I bet there is enough demand to make one.

I've actually been looking for one for a few years. I probably wouldn't use it much but would be nice to have just in case.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've had two minor issues with the tool so far:

1.  sometimes the gage will go in like half way and it's tempting to force it in.  I did this once and got the damn thing stuck and had pry it off using two small wrenches as sort of a pry bar and bent the tool slightly

2. I think the go part of the gage is a bit large.  Had some known crimped primer pockets that I ran through the RCBS military crimp remover and then the RCBS primer pocket uniformer and the go part still went part way in.  So going forward going 1/2 way in is a "go" for me
View Quote
You do have to avoid forcing the thing, but it has worked very well for me.  If it doesn't come out with a twist, to me the pocket is still too crimped.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Would I be interested in a tool that produces the bane of my reloading existence?

No... no I don't think I would be. But kudo's for thinking of it!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I spend a lot of time removing the crimp.  I don't think I want to put a crimp back in just to remove it again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top