Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2003 7:23:33 AM EDT
Its about time I put the Benelli away and switched to a semi auto skeet gun. I will be going to the gun shop next week to pick up a semi auto to replace my Nova as my skeet gun.  
Not sure If i will go with a Rem 1100 as you recommended several times or if I will go with a different shotgun (depends on the feel of the grip).  I really dont need anything larger than a 2 3/4 chamber so the 11-87 is not on the list.  
My budget for this purchase is $800 so that amount should give me a bit of a cushion to work with incase a slightly more expensive model appeals to me.
Now for the hard part should I go with a 26" barrel or should i stick with the 28" like I have been using?  Where can I purchase some screw in chokes so I do not have to worry about bringing the wrench out (specifically a "skeet only" choke)
What other models are out there that fall into this price range?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:27:20 AM EDT
[#1]
NOOOOOOOOO! don't get rid of the benelli! Hell get another Benelli or say a Winchester X2(fastest cycler right now) You can buy extended(sticking out of barrel) chokes for the benelli.. as I have some for my nova.  Go buy you a 18" barrel for that nova and throw a mag extension on it and throw it under your bed or in the car
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:30:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Wait a minute.  I said replace not ditch.  I Would never sell a gun.
How could i forget about the X2?  Is the Win X2 similar (practically a clone) of a browning shotgun or am I thinking of something else?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:43:22 AM EDT
[#3]
1100 is a great semi-auto skeet gun.  If you got the 11-87 you could always pull double duty for hunting, unless your Benelli has a 3" chamber.

Anyway...Brownell's, Cabela's, or Midway should have all the choke tubes you need.  The ones that are extended and knurled go for about twice what the flush chokes do.

Cabela's 4 Choke Pack

Make sure whatever 1100 you get is outfitted with the Rem Chokes.

That 4 piece kit above should be enough for a mid-level shooter.

I get by with S/S IC/IC M/M F/F and use them in differing combos on my O/U Berettas.

Carlson's make a little better quality tubes than Remington, but they run $30/tube.
Carlson's Tubes

IMHO, Briley makes the best non-compensated tubes they also run about $35/tube.

Briley Skeet Tube

I have shot the X2, it was a tad bulky and felt a little cheap to me.  The 1100 and 1187 fell like they are finished better.

Skeet is more about rhythm than speed.  That X2 and Benelli action are great for hunters and Sporting Clay pros who need following shots on unknown distance and speed birds.  For skeet, they are known distances and ranges the faster cycling is moot.

HTH....

Ed
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:52:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Briley!
I couldnt remember the name.  I have no problem dropping $35 for one tube since I only need one tube at the moment (would add more in the future)
Mike has been pushing the rem 1100 on me since last october but I have shot the X2 and one Browning which i cant remember the name of and they both felt similar.  Also they both felt lighter than the NOVA which may or may not be a problem
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:01:37 AM EDT
[#5]
"The 1100 has won more championships than any other semi-auto."

You will hear that all over.....check my sig for how I feel about the new fangled stuff.

Go with Briley, they make compensated chokes too at about $50-70/tube.  Helps a bit with follow-up shots.

I can't think of a Browning Semi I've seen in a while {Browning Gold}.  See lots of their O/U's but I usually see 1100's, 1187's, Beretta 391's, and O/U's.

The Beretta 391 series is an awesome gun....there is one guy who shoots with one that had NEVER cleaned it, not once since he got it.  He shot 45/50 on a TOUGH sporting clays round.

Soft recoil too.....

The 1100 is most likely your best bet however.  Good value, good shooter, good aftermarket....
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:52:23 AM EDT
[#6]
This one has caught my eye www.remington.com/firearms/shotguns/1100sptg12.HTM
Model 1100 Sporting 12

The new Model 1100™ Sporting 12 provides timeless good looks in a light-recoiling sporting clays gun. It features a polished blue receiver and barrel with twin bead sights. The American Walnut stock and fore-end display cut checkering with a high-gloss finish and sporting clays-style recoil pad. The 1100 Sporting 12 also offers a gold-plated trigger, as well as four extended choke tubes: Skeet, Improved Cylinder, Light Modified and Modified.

12 gauge autoloader with 28" light target contoured vent rib barrel
Twin bead target sights
Polished blue receiver and barrel
Semi-fancy American walnut stock and fore-end
Gloss wood finish with cut checkering
Gold plated trigger
Sporting Clays style recoil pad

after a quick search on guns america and gunbroker it appears this can be had for about $200 less than the MSRP of $868.  I will check locally first to see if its worth it to mail order the thing.

Any idea on who the manufacturer of the choke tubes are?  I Saw on either gunbroker or gunsamerica a reference to Briley making them but can anyone confirm?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:02:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Tom:

If Briley made Rem Chokes for Remington you can almost bet that it would be plastered on the description.  That would be a pretty big selling point.  My guess is they may be Colonial Arms or some other small outfit that runs them.

If they are, indeed, Brileys then that is a kickass price for 4 of them and the gun.  That would be $140 in tubes alone.

Have I mentioned I love shotgunning......
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Tom, Did I miss something or did you forget to include you price range? If you are looking under $500.00 them a field grade 1100 is the only game in town. If you are spending $600.00+ then you have more choices. Please advise. MIKE.
PS: Do you have the telephone number of my FFL?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:40:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Tom, Did I miss something or did you forget to include you price range? If you are looking under $500.00 them a field grade 1100 is the only game in town. If you are spending $600.00+ then you have more choices. Please advise. MIKE.
PS: Do you have the telephone number of my FFL?

it appears some of my original post was cut off before i submitted it.  I would like to keep it under $800.  I do not have your FFL's phone number.  Is he good with ordering stuff and offering at a decent price?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Tom, I IM'ed you the FFL's number and I called him so he is expecting you. You know what is available from Remington. A field grade 1100 is about $450 and the 1100 Sporting Clays and skeet model are $868. The Sporting model is a 28" barrel with four extended chokes. The skeet model is a 26" barrel with three flush chokes.

Other than Remington:

Winchester X2 Sporting Clays $940 list

Browning Golden Clays $1520 list

Beretta AL391 Sporting on gunsamerica $800

Beretta 390 field grade synthetic from Walmart according to BUD on another thread $525

If I had that much to spend I would go with the Remington 1100 Sporting Clays. MIKE.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top