Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2017 11:48:07 PM EDT
Has anyone had any experience with these bullets?  About a dime each; great price.  I have found several reviews saying they have good accuracy, but nothing about terminal performance.  Anyone know anything, or can point us to a source?
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 12:08:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 12:11:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't tried them yet, but the threads on them were all positive.
View Quote
Did you see one that mentioned actual performance on target? All I could find were accuracy results.
I went ahead and ordered 500; at that price I couldn't pass them up. I would like to know if I should save them for special use or just blast them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 12:28:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 12:31:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I added some links to that post. They hide the data pretty well.

Haven't shot any, so can't answer for accuracy.

If it were me I would work up a load with Tac and CFE 223 and shoot groups.
View Quote
Definitely using TAC. I wonder if these frag like the 68 grain OTMs.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 12:37:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 12:45:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, man.  Data is easy; I wish someone would shoot some into gel for us.
@Bluefalcon
@bluefalcon
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 2:01:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, I've been buying bulk for the last 5 years from MidSouth. When they have em', I buy the "MidSouth" bulk, they are Hornady's repack.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 2:03:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes, I buy them bulk for the last 5 years. They are actually Sierra bullets, just repackaged.
View Quote
They are advertised as Hornady.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 2:06:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They are advertised as Hornady.
View Quote
Mixed my sentence, I just corrected......
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:01:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@Bluefalcon
@bluefalcon
View Quote
You summoned?
You summoned?
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You summoned?
You summoned?
View Quote
I didn't know if capitalization mattered, sorry.

Do you have any practical experience with these, or any chance to get some soonish?
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you clicked on my first link it was a description of the bullet.

It's not meant to be a hunting/expanding bullet. The HP is there for accuracy.
View Quote
Your first link is a description of their FMJ. Not this bullet, unless I am missing something.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 1:40:59 PM EDT
[#14]

ANSWER FROM HORNADY

You would use 60 grain bullet load data for the cartridge you are wanting to load this bullet in.  It will do a very good job on woodchucks, coyotes and similar varmints and is a formidable defense round.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:52:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

ANSWER FROM HORNADY
View Quote
From Hodgdon's website, I used the 63 gr data for the Sierra SP's and did not have any noticeable issues with pressure.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Do you have any practical experience with these, or any chance to get some soonish?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You summoned?
You summoned?

I don't. I can add it to the pile if you want to send me some. Can't promise how long it may take.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Some times OEMs (ie Hornady) allow exclusive distribution of a bullet, ie last year with the 22 cal 62gr FMJ.  Then it is released in bulk packages  for sale to 06/07 FFL in theory or to other accounts.
I bet money for next year the 62gr HP will be in bulk packs and commonly available through the usual suspects.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 3:41:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Instead of wishing someone else would do it, why don't you?  

You can get gelatin from food service companies for reasonable amount of money and there are instructions on youtube about how to prepare it so that it comes out translucent and not opaque and pretty much everyone has a cell phone with a decent camera these days.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 3:55:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Has anyone had any experience with these bullets?  About a dime each; great price.  I have found several reviews saying they have good accuracy, but nothing about terminal performance.  Anyone know anything, or can point us to a source?
View Quote

If you are talking about Hornady's 62 grain BTHP, which no longer appears on their website and appears to have been discontinued, they are designed to be a match bullet.  As such they are not designed to be a hunting round so the manufacturer has given consideration to dimensional consistency and aerodynamic performance, not terminal performance.

If you are looking for a comparable varmint bullet, I have been loading Hornady's 60 grain Spire Point bullets (soft point, stock # 2270 or hollow point, stock #2275) for 38 years and have had consistently good results from them both from an accuracy and terminal performance standpoint.  It seems to me that with everyone chasing after 62 grain bullets "because that's what the Army uses", the 60 grain ones get overlooked.  But, loaded with faster burning powders like IMR-4198, H322, Accurate 2015BR or Reloader 10X, they can really make the most out of the shorter barrels that seem to come on everything nowadays.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You can get gelatin from food service companies for reasonable amount of money and there are instructions on youtube about how to prepare it so that it comes out translucent and not opaque and pretty much everyone has a cell phone with a decent camera these days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd sure like to see more folks doing gel testing. I'd be happy to help anyone along, if you want.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:29:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If you are talking about Hornady's 62 grain BTHP, which no longer appears on their website and appears to have been discontinued, they are designed to be a match bullet.  As such they are not designed to be a hunting round so the manufacturer has given consideration to dimensional consistency and aerodynamic performance, not terminal performance.

If you are looking for a comparable varmint bullet, I have been loading Hornady's 60 grain Spire Point bullets (soft point, stock # 2270 or hollow point, stock #2275) for 38 years and have had consistently good results from them both from an accuracy and terminal performance standpoint.  It seems to me that with everyone chasing after 62 grain bullets "because that's what the Army uses", the 60 grain ones get overlooked.  But, loaded with faster burning powders like IMR-4198, H322, Accurate 2015BR or Reloader 10X, they can really make the most out of the shorter barrels that seem to come on everything nowadays.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

One could look above where I quoted Hornady's customer/tech service rep.

Again...
You would use 60 grain bullet load data for the cartridge you are wanting to load this bullet in.  It will do a very good job on woodchucks, coyotes and similar varmints and is a formidable defense round.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 2:17:50 AM EDT
[#24]
I have hundreds of them loaded up to 2800. I expect they'll work for self defense just fine.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 2:22:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have hundreds of them loaded up to 2800. I expect they'll work for self defense just fine.
View Quote
Probably right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top