Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/8/2005 7:39:44 AM EDT
Has anyone tried the little shorty 12 ga shells? They are made in Mexico by Aguila(sp?)

I bought a few at Cheaper Than Dirt here in Ft Worth, but haven't had a chance to shoot them yet.

Looks like they would be great for home defense, if they will cycle thru the gun. I have a couple of 870s and these little shells would make any of them a "high capacity" shotgun.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:02:54 AM EDT
Ive had some of these shells before. Sometimes they tend to flip around backwards when I cycle the action on my 870. Never tried them in my 11-87. They work great in my cheap chinese side by side

-----------------------
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:22:11 AM EDT
A little more research and I'm finding folks saying they work great in a Winchester 1300 Defender???

Can anyone confirm that?

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:32:34 AM EDT
The short shells were developed for use in an odd-ball Uzi-like shotgun that fed through a magazine that fit in a pistol grip.

When the gun failed to make it here, they kept making the shells to try to recoup the development costs.

They work great in single and double guns.

Even though Aquila says they work properly through the Winchester Model 1300, most users finally come to the conclusion that they're just not reliable enough to trust.

It's possible to modify guns to be fairly reliable, but this means the gun can't be used with standard ammo.

Another problem is, for defense use they're underpowered enough to not be a reliable defense round except at point blank range.

In short, another one of those "Good ideas" that fail to pan out in the real world.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:32:15 PM EDT
Sounds like I'll use them up in my Side by Side and not get any more.

It seems to me that you could eliminate the cushion part of the wad in a conventional shotgun shell, and shorten it by a like amount without reducing the powder charge or velocity. I guess that's not what Aguila did.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:47:08 PM EDT
You could do that and reduce the length.
However, the fact is that a short, fat, soft cartridge just doesn't feed too well.
Standard long, fat, soft shells have enough trouble as it is.

The Aquila's were made for that weird looking Uzi-like gun, and not only did the shells have to fit in a pistol grip magazine well, the gun's design just wouldn't have been able to take more powerful rounds.

Since all pump guns are designed and built to handle standard length shells, they just don't "like" the Aquila stuff.

Nice idea, a super capacity pump gun. Too bad the execution was off.

In all likelihood, they'll soon disappear from the market since they really don't serve a purpose, and people quickly figure out the reliability issues.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:04:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Warhawk:
A little more research and I'm finding folks saying they work great in a Winchester 1300 Defender???

Can anyone confirm that?

Tried them in my 1300...they're ok. The only hang-ups I had (just farting around with a buddy in a big field) was when I SLOWLY pumped the gun. The super-short shells would slide around on the shell lifter and could get into some weird positions. This was made worse if the gun wasn't fairly horizontal.

If you pumped it "normally," at a good speed, they seemed to work fine.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:41:43 PM EDT
I'm really interested in trying some in my Nova. I haven't heard of anybody doing it yet and I'm willing to guinea pig.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:43:56 AM EDT
I would imagine that they won't work in semis. Can't see how they would cycle the action. The best use for these IMO would be in a sawn off used for snake control.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:35:15 PM EDT
Don't work worth a damn in my 870!
gave em to a friend of mine with a SxS.
-JD
Top Top