Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/31/2005 6:07:50 PM EDT
I have freed up some time from other projects and my mind got to wandering and ended up at an old project. I always wanted to build my own "high volume" system, whether it be an SMG, LMG, GPMG or just a FNG (Fun New Gun)

So while the basic concept has been embraced, there are two major questions:

Caliber

and

How do we feed the beast

Caliber -
This seems a no-brainer, to make it economical to shoot and potentially attractive for commercialization, 22LR is the only option. Hands down. But that poses a minor challenge, which brings us to question two

How do we feed the beast -
The choice of caliber affects this, because if we go with a rimmed or rimfire round, it affects how the rounds are fed. While a disintegrating link belt seems to way to go, with a rimfire it means extracting the round rearward, as "push through" is not feasible. This makes the system take up more room and introduces more mechanical challenges. Besides, with the Lakeside upper conversion that uses the belts or links and scaled down Browning systems, they have the ultimate solution and I see no reason to reinvent the wheel (at least not THAT wheel)

So if we go with push through links, we then soon arrive at 223 unless we develop, design and produce new links.

So what other ways are there to feed HIGH volume?

Mags are an option, but costly if you look at the American 180 type mags or the Calico mags.

Links we looked at, but like we said, either it fixes the caliber or we need to make a whole new link

Chain - interesting, but in smaller calibers hard to do and costly, besides, how high volume can it be, as the chain takes up space and weight

Hopper fed - this would be the best, like the PTRD linker, but skip the linking step and have the hopper feed the gun direct. Only problem is that this is not a rugged system in terms of making it something to use in the field. Bounce around that hopper and the rounds get all jumbled ... and the rimfire then poses the challenge of stacking the rounds

I would love the be able to conveyor feed them like bottles in a bottling plant but that is hard to scale down to the size we need ....

So we are going in circles trying to think of a good way to feed this beast ....

Any thoughts? This is an open question, free for all discussion. And yes, I have copies of all of Chen's books.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:10:32 PM EDT
I'd still go with links, as most of the shooter's choice calibers already have links out there for them. An as far a belt fed rimmer cartidges, didn't the Russians use 762x54 in a belt fed; a pull out and push method like the 1919's?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:16:22 PM EDT
Consider a gatling gun type "magazine" perhaps offset at a 45degree angle. This could have an advantage over a standard magazine as you could keep topping it off, and it would be a farily simple device to make. This method in its orginal form may require modification depending on the cyclic rate you are trying to acheive. It is possible for you to use a conveyor belt type feeding system with a mechanized revolving cylander. This might actually make for an intersting platform if it could be built properly. I would love to see someone build some type of machine gun in .300 Win Mag... good luck
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:30:32 AM EDT
i've been mulling over the idea of a 9mm belt feed. might be able to use a modified m27 SAW link. my thinking is that they have to increase the bolt weight so much for blow back weapons why not use that energy to operate a belt feed system. .45 acp might also be feasible because it has the same head diameter of the .308. i definatley think that belt feed is the way to go, and pistol calibers are cheap to shoot compared to rifle calibers.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:24:48 AM EDT
If you went the route of a hopper type feed you could have multiple channels(one round wide) that would all converge near the bottom. As long as there is sufficient ammo in the channels the weight would help prevent things getting jumbled up if it got jostled to much. It would also allow topping off easily.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:58:43 AM EDT
Have you decided which type to go with? This sounds like an interesting project.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:57:10 PM EDT
I had a thread on this a while back but it didn't take off.

You could consider fabricating your own quad stacked magazines. Basically two side by side double column mags that feed into a new double column for feeding the chamber. Also consider the calico type helical mags.
Top Top