Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2005 10:30:57 AM EDT
I've used folding stocks on shotguns before but have never found one that I thought was comfortable. The biggest problem I found was that most of them were wobbly. I had never tried the AR15 stock adaptors for shotguns but have used AR15's equipped with collapsible stocks.

A week ago I received a package from Mesa Tactical. In this package was one of their High-tube M4 Stock and Rail Kits, an adapter mounted 4 round shell holder, an adapter mounted short picatinny rail, and a prototype of an adapter mounted steel sling loop.

Installation was a breeze and the instructions provided were excellent. Cover for unused mounting point on the adapter are also included. Allen wrenches were provided and torque specs are given for those of us who choose to use them. I was looking to get everything mounted so I didn't bother with tourquing things down but I will before I take it to the range in a few days.

The adapter came with a push button type sling loop and a Houge Overmolded pistol grip. I was quite happy to see this as I'm not a huge fan of the standard A2 style AR15 grip and the Houge is, in my opinion, one of the best aftermarket grips out there.

The shell holder is a piece that I liked a lot. The holder is made entirely of aluminum and mounts to the adapter with 2 hex screws, which do all of the accessories. The shells are held in place with a section of silicon tube that runs along the back of the shell holder, perpendicular to the shells. The beauty of this system is that the tube can be replaced should it wear out. I understand Mesa is releasing a version for the Remington 870's that attaches directly to the gun ala the Sidesaddle. I would like very much to see a version of that for the Mossbergs.

I mounted the prototype sling loop with my Specter Gear MOUT sling and discovered that I liked it a lot. With the single point sling, the weapon didn't swing as much than with the push button loop. I will be getting a Wilderness single point sling for this weapon in the very near future. I think the sling with that loop will perform very well together.

I mounted a BSA red dot which I had kicking around although I plan on mounting an Aimpoint on it at some point.

The only problem I found with this set up is when I brought the weapon up to a firing position, I kept trying to flip the safety off with my thumb like on the AR's.

All in all I really like the set upand I can't wait to see the low mount adapters they've got coming out.

Some photos:

Mesa Tactical's website: Link
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the 870 variant. The MesaTactical AR grip/stock adapter is a great item. However, I wish the rail system was lighter, lower and more rigid. A barrel band, similar to Knight's implementation would make the rail more secure.

For the Remington 870 if you want an AR style adapter, get the MesaTactical. If you want rails, look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#2]
i believe that is the adapter that got the good writeup in SWAT recently.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:24:23 PM EDT
[#3]
just got mine in the mail from mitch@mesa tactical, thanks for the quick service! waitin for a mount for my jpoint to come in. but i'll post some pics anyway.

meat
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 5:21:50 PM EDT
[#4]
hey i also think the mesa tactical adapter works really well and im a south paw. however i would like them to develop a full length upper rail for mounting iron sights if i wanted to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top