Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 5:59:06 PM EDT
I can't figure out how / why Mossberg sells the Maverick line for about half of what the almost identical Mossberg gos for? I'm looking at the security model (MSRP $199- comparable Mossy is $365) my local dealer sells for 80% of MSRP, so $160, it seems to good to be true. Can it really compare to the simular Mossberg? Is it a total POS? Is it imported or what? Why buy a Mossy when the Maverick is out there?

I am led to beleave the only real mechanical diferance is the location of the safty, am I correct?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#1]
As I understand it, the Maverick is made in Mexico, and assembled in Texas.

All the of them have plastic stocks, and the trigger guard-mounted safety.

I think the Maverick is basically an even cheaper made Model 500
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:52:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the Maverick 88 with the 18 1/2" barrel 7+1 capacity. The only complaint I have had is that the action could be a little smoother. Just rack the slide a few times at the dealer and see if you could deal with it or not. For the money it is a great shotgun that you won't feel to bad when it gets beat up. It is a great shooter for me, with shot or slugs.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:35:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have the Maverick 88 with the 18 1/2" barrel 7+1 capacity.

You sure about that? I thought it was 5+1 on the 18 1/2" and 7+1 on the 20"er?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:25:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Also on the Maverick; the slide bars are pinned to the forearm. There is no inner tube to the forearm. This might be why the Maverick isn't as "smooth" as a Mossberg.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:48:54 AM EDT
[#5]
For the money, you really can't beat a Maverick......If you want to "step it up" go with an 870.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have the Maverick 88 with the 18 1/2" barrel 7+1 capacity.

You sure about that? I thought it was 5+1 on the 18 1/2" and 7+1 on the 20"er?

I could be wrong, I did buy it 6 years ago, and don't hace a tape measure on hand. The heat shield provents me from reading what is on the barrel. Now that I think about it I think it is the 20"er
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:01:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Maverick is a nice shotgun for the price. . .the only real difference is it doesn't have dual slide rails, and has a different safety than the Mossberg.
get a rifled barrel and 18" barrel and you're ready for anything
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I've owned a couple, sold one during my divorce and sold the other one when I picked up a sweet Winchester 1300. I liked both of them and will probably buy another one or two to use for camp guns or to keep in trunk. I fired hundreds of rounds through both of mine and never had a failure. They can't be beat for the price and most of the Mossy add-ons fit.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top