Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2003 12:36:57 PM EDT
Just picked up one from the local Pawn Shop, anything I should know about it? How similar is it to a Mossberg 500? Is it any good?
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty much identical to the 500 series. Less time spent in workmanship/cosmetics though. The rear flip sight on the barrel kinda sucks. One of my friends and another friend's dad has one and when it's fired the rear sight flips up and down(both of theirs).

On another note: My friends dad decided to saw the barrel of his 88 down to the end of the mag tube. I told him that was an NFA violation and he could do serious time if he used it in a Home defense situation. Told him to replace the barrel(ditch the sawed off) and he'd be set to go. Never Saw that Maverick ever again.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Dont have the rear flip up, just the brass bead and the white bead. I am hoping to get a turkey tube and some hevi-shot and go turkey hunting out back this fall. I am really amazed at how well this gun fits me. I hold it at ready and it really is a glove. Hope it isnt junk, I dont want to give it up, but I only paid $150 for it!
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Furner, Mossberg recommends to use a modified choke tube with hevi-shot. I patterned some in a 20 gauge 500 with the modified tube and it was outstanding. MIKE.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 8:42:49 AM EDT
[#4]
What size pattern did you get with the Mod and Hevi-shot?
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 8:52:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Great price for it.
We sel them new for $300.00
Does your 88 have screw in chokes?
I have not see one yet.
The ones we sell are fixed IC.
Not sure if they make longer barrels for it?
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Furner, My friend at the University used to have one, and I only fired it once.  (I used to HATE shotguns) However, it operated just fine, but could have done with a better finish.  $150 is a great price for the gun, and I'm sure you'll be happy with it as a good defensive blaster, or for simple fun-shooting.  Not sure how they stack up in hunting, but they're a good bargain.  They're very similar to a Mossy 500, (which I got for $230 new, Pistol Grip, Heat shield, 8 shot capacity, parkerized) so I think you'll be happy with your Maverick.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Great price for it.
We sel them new for $300.00
Does your 88 have screw in chokes?
I have not see one yet.
The ones we sell are fixed IC.
Not sure if they make longer barrels for it?

It came with a screw-in Mod Choke, with a 28" barrel, I dont think you can get a longer barrel than that. It seems to have a very loose cycle, although I have not been to shoot it yet. Depending on how it does this season, I may upgrade to a Mossy 500 this winter.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Furner, 20-30 pellets in the kill zone of a turkey target at 30 yards. MIKE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top