Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 7:14:02 PM EDT
Assuming this thread goes well it will help both me and anyone else filling out a C&R Application with any questions they may have.

Instead of trickling in questions about this form over a few threads, I'm hoping to toss all of my Q's out here right now and get any issues resolved.

I have the form in front of me and am going to go down the list in each box, and if any questions I have arise, I'll ask them . That way if anyone else has the same question, it should help them get it answered.

Alrighty, here goes!

First, the ATF Copy Of The Application

Box 1: Applicant's Name. I think I can cover this one

Box 2: Applicant's Address (Street Number, city, zip, etc). No problems here either.

Box 3: Mailing Address (if different from address in Box 2). No problems here.

Box 4: Name of County In Which Collecting Activity Is Located. Self-explanatory.

Box 5:Telephone Number. Self-explanatory

Box 6: Trade or Business Name, if any. I leave this blank if I'm a garden-variety individual, right?

Box 7: Applicant is (Individual / Corporation / Partnership / Other). Just check individual if I'm an......individual, right!?

Box 8: Payment Information. (Is one payment method better than another?)

Under Box 8, we have the following: "I am paying the application fee for the following person, corporation, or partnership:". Should I just put my own name here if I'm an individual, or leave it blank.

Box 9: "Provide the information required for each individual owner, partner, and other responsible person in the Business (including the individual named in item #1). Does this mean I should list people who are living in the same house that the license lists? Or should I only add myself since I'm an individual?

Box 10: Nonimmigrant Alien Certification Of Compliance With 18 USC 922(g)(5)(B). Can I assume that 10 A, B, & C do not apply to a US Citizen such as myself?

Box 11: Has Applicant or any person referred to in Item 9 above: Held an FFL? Been Denied an FFL? Been an officer in a corporation holding an FFL? Been an employee of an FFL? Had an FFL revoked? The only one that applies to me is that I worked in a gun shop from September of 2004 to December of 2004. What kind of details should I include on the separate sheet of information that they request?

Box 12: Bunch of questions usually seen on a 4473, such as if you're a fugitive from justice, addicted to pot, etc etc. Self-explanatory

Box 13: Same sort of questions as Box 12.

Box 14: One must initial each box for the questions listed here?

Name Of Chief Law Enforcement Officer: I assume this would be my county Sheriff, seeing as the town I live in has no official Chief of Police.

Address Of Chief Law Enforcement Officer: Would this just be the address to the police station he works in?

Box 15: Requires a signature and asks for a "title", what do they want in the Title Box?

Everything below that is for ATF use only.

Next, the CLEO copy:

Box 1: Applicant Name. Self-explanatory.

Box 2: Applicant Address (street number, etc). Self-explanatory.

Box 3: Mailing Address (if different from the one listed in Box 2).

Box 4: Name of County In Which Collecting Activity Is Located. Self-explanatory.

Box 5: Telephone Number. Self-explanatory

Box 6: Trade or Business Name, if any. I leave this blank if I'm a garden-variety individual, right?

Box 7: Applicant is (Individual / Corporation / Partnership / Other). Just check individual if I'm an......individual, right!?

Box 8: Payment Information If Paying By Credit/Debit Card: I should leave this blank, since the CLEO doesn't need to see this, right?

Box 9: "Provide the information required for each individual owner, partner, and other responsible person in the Business (including the individual named in item #1). Does this mean I should list people who are living in the same house that the license lists? Or should I only add myself since I'm an individual?

Box 10: Nonimmigrant Alien Certification Of Compliance With 18 USC 922(g)(5)(B). Can I assume that 10 A, B, & C do not apply to a US Citizen such as myself?

Box 11: Has Applicant or any person referred to in Item 9 above: Held an FFL? Been Denied an FFL? Been an officer in a corporation holding an FFL? Been an employee of an FFL? Had an FFL revoked? The only one that applies to me is that I worked in a gun shop from September of 2004 to December of 2004. What kind of details should I include on the separate sheet of information that they request?

Box 12: Bunch of questions usually seen on a 4473, such as if you're a fugitive from justice, addicted to pot, etc etc. Self-explanatory

Box 13: Same sort of questions as Box 12.

Box 14: One must initial each box for the questions listed here?

Name Of Chief Law Enforcement Officer: I assume this would be my county Sheriff, seeing as the town I live in has no official Chief of Police.

Address Of Chief Law Enforcement Officer: Would this just be the address to the police station he works in?

Box 15: Requires a signature and asks for a "title", what do they want in the Title Box?

Everything below that is for ATF use only.

Seems the CLEO copy is almost identical to the ATF copy.

Phew. Quite the list! I'm hoping a mod will tack this if it proves to be helpful to enough people.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:11:14 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

The general rule of thumb for "who's my CLEO" is "If you called 911, which police department would answer?"  The top cop of the police department who would answer is your CLEO, and use the address of his department.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:20:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The general rule of thumb for "who's my CLEO" is "If you called 911, which police department would answer?"  The top cop of the police department who would answer is your CLEO, and use the address of his department.

Hope they're not like mine...

They sent my copy back and called me up.

them: "Um, what is that for?  Why did you send it to us?"
me:    "Did you read it?"
them: "yes"
me:    "Well, it explains it RIGHT ON THE FORM."
them: "oh, well, good luck... nevermind."
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:09:00 AM EDT
[#3]
This site has a lot of good info as well.  http://p223.ezboard.com/fcurioandrelicfirearmsforumfrm23.showMessage?topicID=3.topic
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:11:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quick bump. I'll be sending out the paperwork this coming week and still have a few questions (which should be above.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:24:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I just got mine a few weeks ago, it took me 32 days. It seems like they are getting real good at turning these around.  The site guinness301 sent was where I looked to get my answers.  The ATF is fast at answering email so they might be the best place to go if you are not sure about anything.  ([email protected]) I have sent email twice on related questions and had an answer within hours.  One important point, do not abbreviate anything on the forms.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:37:54 PM EDT
[#6]
this answered 99% of my questions
you did read the tack right?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top