Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2002 1:03:39 AM EDT
Being a huge fan of the Zulu wars and the movie Zulu I figure it is time for me to find a Martini-Henry. Does any ever see these for sale?
Thanks, John

Link Posted: 1/5/2002 8:54:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I was told that before the movie, there was a decent supply, and they were pretty cheap.  As you can guess, after the movie, no more Martini rifles around.   I read an article in Shooting times a while back that said they are scarce and expensive now.   I don't remember what "expensive" was.   Good luck!   BTW, I just watched that movie agian Wed. night!   I never get enough!
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:01:45 AM EDT
[#2]
About two years ago,There were a couple of Enfield Martini's on commission at Tippecanoe Trading Co. in Tipp city OH. (enfield Martini's had a longer handle for better extraction) They were $650 each, and i couldn't justify it.  After thinking about it for a month or so, I decided to see if I could talk them down, but they were already sold.  They do turn up occasionally at gun shows, etc.
Navy Arms used to sell Martini actions, I don't know if they still do.  The Ammo is hard to find too.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 9:27:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw one in a gun store in Corona, CA.  It was in good shape and was priced at 500 bux.

I also handled a trapdoor springfield next to it.  My impression is that both weapons are worthy, but the trap was just a little nicer design.  Very subjective, I know.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:31:19 AM EDT
[#4]
They show up here in Northern VA gun shows quite often, though condition is always an issue.  Also, if you're patient and keep checking back with http://www.gunbroker.com, I've seen several go by there.  And the guys at http://www.collectiblefirearms.com/RiflesAntiqueCartridge.html often have them.

Ammo is available, but as noted it's scarce in the original big bore.  Many were converted to .303, but for some reason everyone I've found in that caliber had a bore that would embarass a hand-dug well.

Good luck, they're great old guns, strong, quick and historic,

Pat
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out some info on the different models however, and don't just jump on any Martini Henry you find.

Sometimes the Martini Henry you can find "cheap" has the long lever, and is the later model (built after the wars with the Zulus).  I've heard that the later models are sometimes even Egyptian built, which is a sacriledge!  

What you want is the short lever - I think that's the No.1 or No.2 model.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top