Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/3/2010 7:53:26 PM EDT
my gunshop has them in stock and from what i'm hearing about Marlin closing up shop I am thinking about getting one and wondering if they are worth the $$$. I used to have a Marlin carbine in 357 and it was a great shooter - wish i hadnt sold it a few years back.

Besides a 20-inch octogon barrel, how does it compare to the smaller carbine version? is the action any different?

TIA
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 1:37:50 AM EDT
The Cowboy II is a version of the 1894 for CAS. CAS shooters would tend to favor the .357, but if you aren’t shooting CAS then you can make your decision based on your situation. If you already have either a .357 or .44 handgun, you might want to get a companion. I have Cowboys with the older 24” barrel in both .357 and .45 Colt. Both are very nice shooters. Both came from the factory somewhat smoother than a standard 94C or 94, but both required additional smoothing for competition use. Both have been 100% reliable for me.

Or you could avoid the decision and just buy both.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:29:44 AM EDT
The action is the exact same as the smaller Marlins, the only difference is the longer octagonal barrel and magazine tube.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:41:23 AM EDT
they're nice shooters.

If you already have a pistol or carbine in one of those calibers, then go with that caliber.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:59:00 PM EDT
They are nice but more expensive than the round barrel rifles. Also, Marlin isn't closing for good they are just moving to NY.
Top Top