Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/23/2005 3:33:50 AM EDT
I bought a barely-used (maybe 50 rounds) Marlin 60 from a buddy of mine who needed cash fast.
It jams often, and even more frequently when dirty. The action feels tight to me (more of a grinding tight than a strong spring issue) even after a thorough dissasembly and cleaning. I haven't tested it since. Anybody got any pointers? My idea for now is to break it in and put a lot of rounds through it to polish contacting surfaces and lower friction inside the receiver. Most of the jams are stovepipes... I attributed it to inadequate bolt travel before return.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:46:10 AM EDT
It's a Marlin....what did ya expect?

Had similar problems with mine. Gave up on it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:49:01 AM EDT
Hmnmm. My model 60 has an occasional jam but it's usually fail to feed. What kind of ammo are you using? I've had good luck with the federal lightning. It's a 40 gr. lubed lead bullet and it feeds reliably and is very accurate to 50 yards. I get 1 or 2 failures every 50-100 rounds, which is not terrible by any means for a .22. It's like $9 for 500. Try switching ammo and see what happens. My action is gritty as well. I took it apart and soaked the thing with brake cleaner, then relubed with CLP. It helped somewhat. I've heard that dry lube actually is better in the model 60. I don't remember why, but I believe it was because the oil will hold onto the dirt more than graphite. MJD
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:19:44 AM EDT
I have an older Mod. 60 and it jams when it gets dirty after about 250-300rds. It appears to be getting better with more use as parts are breaking in.

It seems normal for Marlin semiauto .22's to be prone to grime build-up. My friend has a new one and it was really bad for jamming at first. He now breaks it down and cleans it out good, and it only stovepipes about once or twice per range trip.

+1 on using very little oil on the action. Too much lube only makes things worse on these guns.

Also, the type of ammo has a big impact on the reliability of the Marlin. Both of our Marlins' hate the PMC Sidewinder and Zapper .22's, as they leave a ton of grit inside the action. We have found that CCI Blazer and Mini-mag, Winchester Wildcats and Xpert 22 work well. We have started to use the Wally-world Federal bulk-pack hollowpoints, and they work surprisingly good. Stay away from anything Remington or Peters, my Marlin hates Thunderbolts and Golden Bullets.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:34:03 AM EDT
Buy a half a dozen different kinds of ammo and see what works best. Most 22 auto loaders will demonstrate a preference for one type of ammo over all others. Some will work with anything, most won't. No predicting what your Marlin will like without experimenting.

And keep it clean.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:18:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Gooch:
I have an older Mod. 60 and it jams when it gets dirty after about 250-300rds. It appears to be getting better with more use as parts are breaking in.

It seems normal for Marlin semiauto .22's to be prone to grime build-up. My friend has a new one and it was really bad for jamming at first. He now breaks it down and cleans it out good, and it only stovepipes about once or twice per range trip.

+1 on using very little oil on the action. Too much lube only makes things worse on these guns.

Also, the type of ammo has a big impact on the reliability of the Marlin. Both of our Marlins' hate the PMC Sidewinder and Zapper .22's, as they leave a ton of grit inside the action. We have found that CCI Blazer and Mini-mag, Winchester Wildcats and Xpert 22 work well. We have started to use the Wally-world Federal bulk-pack hollowpoints, and they work surprisingly good. Stay away from anything Remington or Peters, my Marlin hates Thunderbolts and Golden Bullets.

What he said.

I like the Marlins for their accuracy , But they are very sensitive to cheap bulk pack ammo. I'm lucky to fire 50 rounds of Remington before it jams up. The only thing I've tried that works well are the CCI Mini-Mags.

I have a M60, M995SS and older blue M995. All are the same.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:54:18 PM EDT
I was firing Rem. Golden bullets and a few Federal bulk rounds last time I was out at the range. Compared to my 10/22, this thing is a horse headed for the glue factory.
I've got some other types on hand- I'll give them a go.

I'll dry up the action a little more. I usually don't shoot them too wet, but it sounds like this mechanism may be more sensitive to lube+powder residue issues.

-Hobbit
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:22:01 PM EDT
Mine likes higher quality ammo. Like CCI Mini and Maxi mags.

I keep it lubed with graphite, it doesn't like to run wet for some reason.

Mine has countless thousands of rounds through it and is pretty broken in. Seems to run fine all day long.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:02:37 PM EDT
I won a Marlin Model 60 that I have had since I was 13 years old (Uhh, 22 years)
I have fired thousands and thousands of rounds, and the only problem I have had was with duds and one squib load that got stuck in the barrel (both ammo related)

I have shot all kinds of .22 ammo in this rifle, and it has never had a problem.
The only problem I have now is that the slide will not stay open on the last shot, because it is just plain worn out.
It has always worked and it extremely accurate. I don't know if they make them different now though.

I think I will get a 10-22 to replace it though because of the high cap mags and availability of parts / accesories.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:23:50 PM EDT
got the same problem. Take it to a gunsmith that actually knows what their doing and it should help.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:38:21 PM EDT
I've had mine since I was 14, first rifle I ever bought with my own money.

I've discovered that it likes to be clean and dry. Make sure shes nice and cleaned out, I use brake parts cleaner it really gets the job done. After that I use a dry graphite lube and she will run any ammo you feed her. The dirtier the ammo the quicker it gums up and starts jamming.

Other then that, Marlin makes a decent rifle. Way more accurate out of the box then my stock Ruger 10/22, it just doesn't have that aftermarket support.

And before I got my mag loader, the Marlin was easier on the thumbs to shoot, I didn't bust them up loading the mag tube like I did the 10/22 mags.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:21:05 PM EDT
Pull the trigger group and clean it .
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:47:13 PM EDT
same with mine, I have using those Velocitor and have been having great luck with them.
Top Top