Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2013 9:23:28 AM EDT
So I've been wanting to buy a lever action rifle in 22.  Stopped in the LGS, and they have both the Henry Frontier and a Marlin 39 Century Limited.  After spending almost an hour playing with the two, I really like the Marlin's action.  Just feels more "stout" and solid than the Henry...although, it should.  It's marked $550.  I got them to come down to $500, but I'm still thinking it's a couple bucks too high considering condition.  Bore and internals look clean, but the outside is in the 80-85% category.  No full on rust, but some light pitting had begun in "crevice" areas before the previous owner decided to give her some miniscule TLC and a wipe down from the looks of things, along with some nicks/scratches in the furniture. I'd call it "HONEST" wear with a life of "Service on the farm". $535 takes this home once tax is added, but I feel it's more towards $500otd.  Shop won't budge.

I walked out for now, but not strongly as I really liked the feel of this Marlin.  Just wish it was in better condition considering I'm looking at that bright new octagonal Henry for $350 otd.  But...while the Henry was smooth as glass, it didn't have the feel of that Marlin to me.

Do you think even in the condition described the Marlin deserves the premium or would I be better suited to wait it out and try to find another example?  The price is absolutely right, the condition has me on the fence.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:29:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you already decided to get it. Go back and get it. I don't think that is too much for a octagon Mountie. Have fun. BTW I have two Henrys and a 39 but the Marlin, like you said, feels more solid. I like my standard Henry better than the octagon

Edit: I see there is more than one configuration, but my answer is still the same.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Model 39 marlins with a receiver sight are one of the not accurate and fun 22's to own PERIOD. I own 6 that range from 1940 to 1970. I have no problems hitting soda cans at 150yds. They are beautiful
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:14:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Went shooting for an hour or so and just couldn't get the Marlin out of my head.  Walked, wait, no, RAN back to the LGS.

I'm weak...I bought it...

Funny thing is she got a whole lot prettier than I originally thought when I committed to purchasing her.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:15:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Century Limiteds go for big bucks.  That is an EXCELLENT price.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Went shooting for an hour or so and just couldn't get the Marlin out of my head.  Walked, wait, no, RAN back to the LGS.

I'm weak...I bought it...

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/attachments/rimfires/77995d1382821500-marlin-39-century-limited-priced-too-high-go-back-get-1026131549.jpg

Funny thing is she got a whole lot prettier than I originally thought when I committed to purchasing her.  
View Quote

You made a wise decision. Congrats!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#6]
The 39a is one of my favorites Nice rifle !!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:31:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one, too, you scored!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#8]
The Marlin 39 is a great gun and the Century Limited is one of my favorite versions. I'd have bought it for that price in a second.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top