Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2002 4:01:13 PM EDT
Earlier today I had a friend ask me a question that kind of made me think. He wanted to know if a Marlin model 336 30-30 rifle would be a decent defensive arm. I came home and started searching through old issues of variouis firearms magazines and found several articles mentioning such stuff. I found where one school (Gunsite I think) actually teaches defensive rifle courses using these type of guns, as well as the  various semi-auto types. They even install ghost ring sights on them! But I see nothing wrong with the standard sights that come on them...they are quick enough.

So after thinking, I guess one of these little lever rifles or carbines wouldn't be a bad choice. Sure, they aren't a semi-auto that shoots 20-30 times, but in my opinion, it doesn't have to be. The advantages of such a gun is compactness, lightweight, pretty good durability, fast enough to fire and doesn't ever need any magazines. The way they are set up allows for fast reloading like a pump or auto shotgun. They are also excellent handling rifles. So what's your thoughts on using such a gun for this purpose? What, if any, modifications would you suggest? I am not a Marlin expert and would just like to hear from others before giving him my advice.

Also, what type of ammo would you recommend? I know that the 30-30 is pretty hard hitting and those Remington 150 gr SP's at Wal-Mart are very cheap for SP rifle ammo. Would these be good enough for defensive uses or would the lighter 125 gr loads be best? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#1]
30-30 = same ballistics as 7.62 x 39, yes it is a decent defensive arm.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#2]
30-30 Lever action = The original assault rifle!
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#4]
"30-30 Lever Action = The Original assualt rifle!)

Amen to that! hink
As far as the 30-30 being a capable man stopper.. I'd sure as hell hope so! hock.gif

It's been killing deer and bear for over 100 years... A 170gr bullet will penetrate a mans chest no problem.. not quite that of a .308, but with the blunt nose bullet they do dump energy pretty fast.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#5]
A 30-30 Lever would make a great defensive arm IMO.

My basic Win M94 30-30 with standard open sights is one of the most natural feeling firearms like Jus228 says, while some of you might not like the standard open sights on these weapons, they work great for me!
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#6]
IIRC, Jeff Cooper many years ago opined that a 30-30 lever action is an excellent self-defense rifle.

The only real problem I could see is that it’s slow to load and reload.  Of course, you’re also limited to blunt-nosed bullets.

Also, they’re cheap, ammo is readily available, and they’re a lot less scary looking than a assault rifle (shudder!).
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Why did you have to go home and research that???????? Hell Yeah a .30-30 would work as an effective defensive arm, shoot a deer with one once they are the best woodsman rifle sold, period.......
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#8]
What's the point in asking anyway? If you want an excellent, but politically incorrect, defensive carbine, stick with a shorty AR(that is, if you can afford one, although the Marlins are exactly inexpensive either). You can't get better than that.
On the other hand, if you want to be politically correct and effective at the same time, a much cheaper option would be the simple pump shotgun. If it's a home invasion thing you are worried about, you'll be fumbling less with a big shotshell than you would with a 30-30 cartridge.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Why did you have to go home and research that???????? Hell Yeah a .30-30 would work as an effective defensive arm, shoot a deer with one once they are the best woodsman rifle sold, period.......

I researched it because I wanted to know how this gun would serve in this role. It is something I had never thought about before. Rather than just saying, "yeah it'll work", I chose to get as much info about gun and cartridge as possible beforehand. I assumed it was ok based on how it takes down deer, but I realize that what might be great for hunting may not be so great for defense always. I like facts before making decisions. That's probably why he asked me to begin with.

As far as other rifles, he isn't interested. While this dude likes guns, he isn't a gun nut like most of us. He just has a pistol, rifle, shotgun and a 22. The 30-30 is what he has and that's what he wants to use. I was just simply trying to get as much info for him as possible. AR's, AK's, etc would probably be a better choice (or is it that they are just flashier looking?) but he isn't the type of person willing to spend $800 or more on a rifle. And while he knows a shotgun is better suited at defending against intruders, he just wanted some info about how his Marlin would do out to 100 yards or so, just in case he ever had to exit his home for some reason or other during a defensive situation.

But I have heard enough postive things here to say that he would be satisfied based on his needs. It's doubtful he would ever need more than the rounds in the tube anyway. I don't imagine he will be holding off armies with his little deer rifle anyway! Just a few, accurate shots should do the trick. And even the need for that will be unlikely. So I am satisfied his 30-30 would be more than adequate for what he wants. Thanks to those that were helpful.

Link Posted: 7/29/2002 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Knowledge is power, didn't mean no disrespect. The .30-30 is a very versitile weapon as far as cartridges go and availability you can even find .55gr Accelerator bullets for it(Sabot).Although IMHO beyond 200yds it is a wallhanger leave it at home and use an -06...
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Marlin 1894 carbine in 357 mag.
Small profile, easy to carry.
bullets from 110 to 180 grs.
No recoil, fast second shot and holds 10rds.
In "Gun Fight" range it has plenty of power.

Link Posted: 7/29/2002 8:35:36 PM EDT
[#12]
yah, i like 30/30. that will knock the chocolate outta anyone. also, if you look, you can find 30/30 talon ammo.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#13]
yah, i like 30/30. that will knock the chocolate outta anyone. also, if you look, you can find 30/30 talon ammo. thats all killer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top