Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2006 1:47:35 PM EDT
I have a hankerin to build a replica of the old Marine Corps Remington 870 shotgun. I need to find out info on it like the barrel length, 2 ¾ or 3-inch, any special parts (like that forward barrel band) etc. if anyone knows anything about these or where I can find that front barrel band, I’d really appreciate the info. And any other pics.

Also, does anyone know what length the barrel is on the Marine Security Guard (MSG) shotgun?

MSG 870

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:27:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, your pictures are two different guns he
The second is the LE 14" barrel with no extension  (which you won't be building since you have to be LE or Military to purchase that barrel)  If you can even find it which is pretty damn hard
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:45:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Well, your pictures are two different guns

The first one is 18" with the magazine extenstion that has the clamp with bayonet lug

The second is the LE 14" barrel with no extension  (which you won't be building since you have to be LE or Military to purchase that barrel)  If you can even find it which is pretty damn hard

Never heard of NFA?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:58:06 PM EDT
[#3]
870 Modular Combat Shotgun (MCS) is in the second photo and it only has a 3 round tube and one in the pipe.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#4]
The first gun is the US Mark 1 Remington 870.
This is an ordinary 870P Police gun with a 20" barrel and the standard factory extension, which the military designated as the Mark 1.
These were 2 3/4" guns since the 3" wasn't invented yet.  
In any event, the military used only 2 3/4" shells anyway.

The factory extension barrel clamp wasn't strong enough to support actual use of the bayonet, so a special long barrel and extension clamp/shroud was made up to fit over both the barrel and the factory clamp.
This had a factory front rifle sight base attached to the top, and a bayonet lug and sling swivel on the bottom.
The original factory front sight base was removed from the barrel so the clamp would slide over the barrel.
On many guns, the front sight blade, and the rear sight windage and elevation assemblies were removed, leaving the rear sight base on the barrel, and the front base on the clamp.

On the gun pictured, the standard stock has been removed and replaced with some sort of sliding stock, and there is a light or laser mounted under the barrel.
Most guns have the standard factory wood stock and no light/laser.

The original guns were standard factory Police satin-black blued, although many if not most have since been parkerized.

The Mark 1 barrel clamp/shroud turns up from time to time on Ebay, but price is SKY HIGH for what are usually badly worn, often pitted units.
No commercial copy has ever been made.

The second gun is a factory-stock Remington 870P Police Tactical model with the 14" barrel.
Here's their web site on it:
www.remingtonle.com/shotguns/870tactical.htm

The gun has a synthetic full stock, a 14" barrel and the standard 4 shot plus 1 in the chamber capacity.
The guns are parkerized and have a bead sight.

These under 18" barreled guns can be bought if you are willing to go through the NFA procedures AND your State allows their possession.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#5]
The retractable stock is from Sage International, not very comfortable or durable, but if you want a clone of that version of the Mark I, you know what to look for.

Scattergun Technologies dis make a bayonet lug/barrel clamp very similar to the Mark I version, but they discontinued it prior to being bought by Wilson.  There may be some out there, check sround.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#6]
what is a brand new extension kit worth ion the box?  i am asking teh same questions as ch139.  i have the extension kit brand new in box but need to know the gun it goes on. It is the extension like the first picture with a bead sight.   so it would be an 870 police.  would a wingmaster be suficient.  if i find a nice used one i can park the barrel.  are the receivers steal or aluminum.  i have a line on a few of the extension kits.  if they go for a preaty penny on ebay that would fund my shotgun.  :)  i looked on ebay and couldn't find any in the completed section.  maybey i was typing in the wrong stuff.  ohh i want to make it an Air Force version too.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:12:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Genuine Remington factory extension kits sell for pretty good money on Ebay.
Factory list is about $120 the last time I looked, and the going price on Ebay is usually in the $80.00 plus range.

The factory extension will fit ANY 870 shotgun, but Express models will need the "dimples" in the gun's magazine tube removed.

All Remington shotguns use forged and milled steel receivers.  NO aluminum.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:30:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
if they go for a preaty penny on ebay that would fund my shotgun.  :)  i looked on ebay and couldn't find any in the completed section.  maybey i was typing in the wrong stuff.  ohh i want to make it an Air Force version too.  

I have sold about 12 on eBay and they do go anywhere used about $60.00 to $65.00 and new $70.00 to $80.00. It also depends if they are blued or parked. Parked ones always sell for more. My profits from all the extentions I sold bought my R870 and paid my rent for one month.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#9]
The 870 Mk1 has a 21" bbl. You can use a 20" bbl but the muzzle will be slightly shorter than the 3rd extension (like the police guns).
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#10]
heres a pic of the extension i have.    anyone else have any info
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:00:58 AM EDT
[#11]
It appears to me the marine pictured in the black and white photo is aiming with the eye opposite
the side his gun is shouldered on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top