Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 12:31:05 PM EDT
I got a Mossberg 500 slug barrel not rifled I would like to make it 18.5 inches long how would I go about doing this. After words I would like to remove the rear sight and send the barrel into Mossberg 50 get it refinished for 35 bucks.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#1]
You just cut it off with a hacksaw and then true it up with a piloted spot face cutter in your hand drill.  I sell the the piloted cutters for $45, or you can get one from Brownells for $60.

Or, you could just file as flat as possible by hand......but it will look like you did by hand, if you go that route.

Tony Rumore
Tromix Corp
www.tromix.com

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#3]
what if I put the barrel in a vise or something and use the vise as a guide? I also might send it into mossberg to get it refinished.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:27:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Tony,

I sent you an IM.  Is it easier for you to correspond by email or phone call?  I don't want to tie up too much of your time and I don't know what your present work load is.  I want one of those muzzle face cutters, but I want to see what options are available for the pilot in gauge/diameter.

Thanks,

2guntom
454 Casull +
AntiAmerican
Destruction
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:04:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Tony,

I sent you an IM.  Is it easier for you to correspond by email or phone call?  I don't want to tie up too much of your time and I don't know what your present work load is.  I want one of those muzzle face cutters, but I want to see what options are available for the pilot in gauge/diameter.

Thanks,

2guntomwww.2guntom.com/454/group/2gunsfiring_v1.gif
454 Casull +
AntiAmerican
Destruction

Oh crap!  I almost forgot about this thread.

Tony, I take it you don't check into the forum much.  I'll try an email.  I'll either get your crowning tool or the one from Brownells.

2guntom
454 Casull +
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:41:23 AM EDT
[#6]
mark for later
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I used a harbor freight chop saw and then a reamer to de-bure it, I didn't have a tap for the bead so I drilled a hole and JBWelded it in the hole. I'm very happy with my results. I painted mine with bake on engine paint afterwards. And yes, I've allready measured these and posted the pics here, the 870 is 18 5/8", it IS legal length. (I cut the mag X from a 10 rounder so it is exactly the same length as the barrel, holds 7 + 1.)

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#8]
The best way would be to use one of those carbide wheels on a skill saw!  I used a hack saw and got a cut less than forty-five but not near 90!

I had to hand file it to where I could live with it(but damn near kept it like it was) it started out like an AK side mounted brake!!!

Maybe we should saw off our barrells from the top down,like a brake!!!  Remember I said it first,we cut our barrels like a break!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:42:23 AM EDT
[#9]
That same blade works well in a power miter saw too .  Shim and clamp the barrel to the backstop and you'll have a darned near perfect cut.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:20:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's my "Patented How To Cut A Shotgun Barrel With Minimal Tools" technique.
This is a "minimalist" method for when you don't have access to a lot of more sophisticated tooling.

First do the critical measuring and marking where the cut is to be made.

Wrap a piece of tape around the barrel OR use a small tubing cutter to lightly mark a line.
The intent is to provide a cutting guide line as square with the barrel as possible.
I don't recommend cutting the barrel with a tubing cutter, since this compresses or rolls the barrel inward at the cut, and you need to do a lot of filing to remove it.

Using a fine-tooth high-grade hacksaw blade in a good, high tension frame, make a light one or two stroke cut on the line.

Rotate the barrel and make another light cut.  Continue until you have a shallow line all the way around the barrel.

Then just continue making one or twp light cuts, and rotating the barrel until it's cut through.
This makes an almost perfectly square cut.

Use fine-cut files and abrasive cloth to break the sharp outer edge of the cut and to smooth the front face of the muzzle.
Wrap abrasive cloth around the ball of your thumb and use that to break the sharp inner edge of the cut.

Touch up with cold blue.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:28:36 PM EDT
[#11]
where is the spotted face cutter in brownells
I have a 20 inch barrel I just aquired that I want to bring down to 18.5
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:33:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Doesn't mossberg sell 18.5" barrels for that gun?

I bought an 18.5" mossberg barrel for my remington 870.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Doesn't mossberg sell 18.5" barrels for that gun?

I bought an 18.5" mossberg barrel for my remington 870.

Yeah I said fuck it and bought one a few weeks ago. Now I got a brand new long barrel with 3 chokes how much do you think I could get for it. I'm guessing atleast 60 but it is 100% unfired.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top