Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2004 9:54:25 PM EDT
The biggest shoot of the year, Bulletfest V located in my very own Ohio. I bring up my newest toy, my Beretta Cx4 Storm. I recently mounted an Aimpoint Comp ML2 on it and was really looking forward to showing it off at Bulletfest.

Well this carbine had been 100$ reliable through the 1000+ rounds of Winchester White Box. Well sure enough 200+ rounds into the shoot through the Storm and it basically turns into a bolt action.

Almost every round when fired does not eject completely, the next round makes it into the chamber with the brass from the previous round hung up in the ejection port melting away portions of the Plastic.

The second day of the shoot I had scrubbed the entire bolt assembly including extractors and ejectors after completely stripping it down.

I run a few mags through it and it begins the sam ething. I don't know what's dirty/causing this, but it has to stop. I tried different ammo with the same results.

Thanks for any help
Link Posted: 6/28/2004 4:06:37 AM EDT
[#1]
A failure to extract may be caused by several things. Check to be sure the extractor is not partially broken...the claw itself most probably...as well as to be certain that it has enough "give" to allow it to release the fired case. (you could possibly have a small piece of brass or gunk under the extractor itself, etc.) and that the breech face is clean. Check to be sure the chamber is clean...I mean "clean", as in no crud at all, etc. The only other issues I can think of immediately, other than underpowered ammo, of course, would be to check and make certain no one has somehow installed the recoil spring wrong somehow, and that there is enough lube on the rails, etc.

Is this a blowback design or is the breech locked at the instant of firing?

Good luck, and let us know what you find.
Link Posted: 6/28/2004 6:31:31 AM EDT
[#2]
It is indeed a blowback design, looks like tonight I'll be scrubbing the storm down.
Link Posted: 6/28/2004 6:40:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Per chance were you trying to use CCI aluminum cased Blazer in this? Mucho issues with these rounds and H&K MP5 and other subguns. It will also, after many, many rounds, leave an alluminum deposit in the chamber that must be scrubbed hard to remove.

Just a thought.

Good Luck...I have heard of no serious problems with the Storm so far.
Link Posted: 6/28/2004 9:25:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Nope, this was the brass washed, brass cased Winchester White Box stuff.

I also tried copper jacketed federal ammo with the same issues. The ejector/extractor both look to be in good condition. I think I'm going to get some brake cleaner and blast everything clean.

Thanks for the suggestions

I've heard of another guy with this same problem with his Storm, not sure what he did though.
Link Posted: 6/28/2004 10:27:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok tore it apart and looked at it again, I don't know how the cases are being extracted because there is no claw on the extractor at all... but I believe that's the problem

So I'll be sending an email to Beretta USA.

Lets see how they handle it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2004 11:31:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Aha!

Residual pressure can allow some blowback type actions...as well as that of the H&K P7 series pistols...to extract fired cases even with the extractor missing. Sounds like this is what was happening with your Storm, assuming there is supposed to be a clawed extractor there in the first place (never even seen one)

Beretta should make it right for you...good bunch to deal with some years back, and probably still are.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 10:45:06 AM EDT
[#7]
9mm Winchester whitebox is underpowered.  I have experienced similar failures with this ammo and a supressed Betretta 92
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#8]
So what did Beretta say/do?  Give us an update.

Woody
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry,

I called them up and the issue was handled in a quick efficient manner, in a way I'd wish to be treated by any business.

They sent me a new extractor which would normally cost $25 dollars and appologized for their part failure. I just hope they strengthen the metalurgy of these parts so this isn't an issue any longer.
Link Posted: 7/20/2004 5:46:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I am happy E, that you got the quick, efficient and professional service you were looking for. I just purchased a Storm 9MM - IS there a preferred ammo it likes to digest?
Link Posted: 7/21/2004 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am happy E, that you got the quick, efficient and professional service you were looking for. I just purchased a Storm 9MM - IS there a preferred ammo it likes to digest?

Mine loves Winchester White Box, if you experience any jams make sure and check out your extractor. That's the first thing to do. Follow the instructions in the manual for switching ejection to disassemble the extractor and ejector.

It's back in action now, fired over 200 rounds with Diabolical Chicken and SW, not a single problem.

Good luck with yours.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top