Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2003 9:39:21 AM EDT
I think I'm set on buying this gunwww.papolicesupply.com/m590a1-6-shot.htm from another source. I wanted the shorter 18.5 barrel compared to the 20" on the #51668. I will be adding a surefire forend light and sidesaddle. Does someone make a mag extension for this gun? It looks like it will require only a 1 round ext. tube to go flush with the end of the barrel, which is what I want.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#1]
LOOK at the barrel screw...no way to add an extension to a mossberg.  The 20" barrel usually has the long mag tube, the 18" has the short one.  You're constrained by the mag tube.

-hanko
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
LOOK at the barrel screw...no way to add an extension to a mossberg.  The 20" barrel usually has the long mag tube, the 18" has the short one.  You're constrained by the mag tube.

-hanko

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the barrel screw? Why exactly can you not add a mag extension? I'm sorry to say I haven't had the chance to take a real good look at a mossberg 590, I'm pretty much going off of search's and pic's. Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 8:06:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Until not too long ago, Mossberg had only two ways of making their magazine tubes and barrel configurations.  They used one method for 20" barrelled M590's, and another method for all others (M500's).

On the 20" M590, the magazine tube is roughly the same length as the barrel.  The barrel has a ring welded to it that slides over the magazine tube.  The barrel is then secured to the magazine tube with a female threaded cap which is screwed on the the (male) threaded end of the magazine tube.

On M500's, the short (5 round) magazine has a plug in the end.  This plug has a hole with a female thread in it.  The barrel has a captive thumbscrew which screws into this plug, tightening the barrel down.  Because of this plug, you can't add an extension, and none are made for guns of this configuration.

Now, it looks like Mossberg is confusing things a little bit by using the same configuration on 18 1/2" M590's as they do on 20".  From the pictures in the catalog, it looks like 18 1/2" M590's have the female threaded cap / male threaded magazine tube configuration.  Because of this, it looks like it is feasible to add a magazine extension to this, like many people do on 870's.  However, since this seems to be a relatively new configuration, I don't know if any extensions are commercially available.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 10:02:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Until not too long ago, Mossberg had only two ways of making their magazine tubes and barrel configurations.  They used one method for 20" barrelled M590's, and another method for all others (M500's).

On the 20" M590, the magazine tube is roughly the same length as the barrel.  The barrel has a ring welded to it that slides over the magazine tube.  The barrel is then secured to the magazine tube with a female threaded cap which is screwed on the the (male) threaded end of the magazine tube.

On M500's, the short (5 round) magazine has a plug in the end.  This plug has a hole with a female thread in it.  The barrel has a captive thumbscrew which screws into this plug, tightening the barrel down.  Because of this plug, you can't add an extension, and none are made for guns of this configuration.

Now, it looks like Mossberg is confusing things a little bit by using the same configuration on 18 1/2" M590's as they do on 20".  From the pictures in the catalog, it looks like 18 1/2" M590's have the female threaded cap / male threaded magazine tube configuration.  Because of this, it looks like it is feasible to add a magazine extension to this, like many people do on 870's.  However, since this seems to be a relatively new configuration, I don't know if any extensions are commercially available.

Good luck!

gcode, that's why I wrote look at the gun as the best way of understanding why mag extensions are not possible...the mag tube is sold at the front end.  Can't comment on any new design as I haven't yet looked at one.  

-hanko
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 3:46:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies guys, now I see what your saying. I may have to check out a 870 HD instead.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies guys, now I see what your saying. I may have to check out a 870 HD instead.

Yeah stay away from the Mossbergs.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah stay away from the Mossbergs.

Guy,
Not to be an asshole.

I shoot shotguns to destruction.

I'll take a Mossy ANY day of the week over a remington.

The Itialian guns do better. For a pump gun? Mossy is the only way to go if you want it to last.

Link Posted: 7/24/2003 10:05:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Fed, The regulars here collectively have hundreds of years experience with 870's and 500's. The 500 is a good gun for the money but the collective wisdom here is that the 870 is the pump shotgun that all other's are measured by. I myself have six 870's and three 500's. If money was an issue I would not hesitate to recommend the 500 but would prefer a 870 any day. MIKE.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 10:17:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Mike,

My experience is not in a normal environment.
Shooting 350 rounds a day(an average) through modern production shotguns gives a different perspective. In a recent test for bolt-face erosion, We used 3 guns. A Benelli, a Remington 870, and a Mossy 500. The Benelli was the first to go, followed by the Remington. The Mossberg lasted the longest.(about 50,000 rounds were fired.)

In practice I send more Remingtons to the gunshop every week than any other brand.

This is my own personal experience. Your mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll re-hijack my thread by saying, the reason I was was going to look at an 870HD instead of the mossberg pictured in the link, is that I like the 18/18.5 barrel length and factory installed ghost ring sights. But I want maximum mag capicity like the 870 and 500's offer. If mossberg offered an 18.5" barrel 590A1 with the mag tube flush to the end of the barrel, I would buy it today.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 12:40:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Fed, What do you do? Your experience runs contrary to several members that repair guns for police departments or private shops on this site.

I am always surprised at how often guns have to be repaired. I run 10K to 15K thru my shotguns each year and I am a light weight compared to others on this site. I have 1100's, 870's and 500's. They very seldom need repair. I clean them, period. I have no gunsmithing skills and do not want to learn. Please share your experience.

Sorry for the hijack but we get few good threads. MIKE.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Sorry for the hijack but we get few good threads. MIKE.

No biggy, I was just giving you guys a hard time. Carry on, we all might learn something.

edited to add this www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=1700&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=4598c1ab37d4fbf8825c2cc44e817080 I found this while search for info on both the remingtion and mossberg.
I don't know if OMEGASANDMAN knows what he's talking about, but it is interesting if true.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 7:35:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm a pretty good friend of Fed's.  So as not to disclose his occupation without his consent, I'll tell you he is in a sort of research field which quite effectively tests the longevity of shotguns.  I've seen pictures from his work of MANY entire gun vaults filled with broken remingtons.  IMHO, with his occupation and his incredible knowledge of shotguns, his informed opinion is the say-all-end-all of shotgun advice for me!  

Also with his advice I managed to buy a Mossberg 500 20" 12ga, 8 shot (7+1), heat shield, side-saddle shell holder (6 shell), recvr drilled/tapped for picatinny rail, sling swivels, and Butler Creek Side-folding stock with pistol grip, ALL FOR $300 NEW!  It's my baby, and I'll love it if I want to...  Love it if I want to...  Basically it's a sweet all-around tactical shotgun.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 7:37:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Mike,

I'm a Ballistic technician at Federal Cartridge in the shot shell department. As I stated in an earlier post, the military during trials is kinder than we are.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 6:59:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Fed, What are your tests looking at? The guns themselves or how your ammo affects guns? What other guns have you tested? Do you test all guns on the market or just popular models? Inquiring minds want to know! We want the real inside info on what is the best Federal ammo! Or at lest what you are allowed to tell us. MIKE.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 7:58:27 AM EDT
[#16]
HEY!!!    That's a different approach, Mike!  Usually when I seek info about shotguns from Fed, I buy him a big bottle of Jim Beam & he tells me all I want to know about shotguns!!!     Right Buddy?    That's the C.I.T. or "Collegiate Interrogation Technique".  Perhaps I should just ASK Fed when I'm not sure about my guns...    Nah...  It's more fun to have a few drinks while talking guns...  Perhaps that's just the alcoholism in me talkin' though...  

Actually, Fed's a great guy all around...  My favorite Federal Ammo I got to shoot is BY FAR the Federal LE Slugs.  Lighter recoil that doesn't kick my A$$, still VERY accurate, and VERY powerful.

Have fun at work FedGunner!  BTW, Watch out for those ricochets!  

IMHO, Federal Ammunition is ALWAYS superior to others, and this is a result of CONSTANT R&D of ammunition.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Fed, What are your tests looking at? The guns themselves or how your ammo affects guns? What other guns have you tested? Do you test all guns on the market or just popular models? Inquiring minds want to know! We want the real inside info on what is the best Federal ammo! Or at lest what you are allowed to tell us. MIKE.

::chuckling::

We are testing our ammo. not the durability of the shotguns. On the  erosion test we were testing to see if an experimental primer mix had any effect on the bolt face. The answer? Not really.

The real inside info on ammo? I love the tactical loads. Reduced recoil, and very good accuracy. Our paper hulled shells win EVERY year at the Grand. Yeah the other guys do well too, but look at the ratio of Trophy count vs cases sold.

If you have a rifled barrel, there is no beating the Barnes Expander.

As a follow up, part of the Remington's problem in the way we use it is tight tolerances. Put 25 rounds through it and you can feel it get tight.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 9:59:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Good luck!

I am looking at my 18 1/2" M590A1 right now, and hoss is right. The magazine tube is not solid at the end. It is male threaded with a female threaded endcap. It would not be hard to come up with a +1 extension, and frankly I'm surprised that no one has, given the popularity of this shotgun.

By the way, I bought this gun used from a security training company that was going out of business. It has obviously seen a lot of work, but still functions flawlessly.

In my opinion (take the usual grain of salt) the Mossy 590A1 is an excellent defensive shotgun.

Cheers,
Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top