Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2005 3:33:40 PM EDT
Recently found a picture of this rifle. Looks like a neat one to have...

Any opinions...?
Looking for general info Where (if) they may be avalible somewhere.

Thanks
OS
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#1]
They're hard to find. I stumbled on one at a gun show last year. Walked past, did a double take, went back and bought it. Had 3 or 4 offers to buy it before I got out the door of the show.

Last of the Mauser military rifles. Aperture sights front and rear that are windage and elevation adjustable. Has a built in muzzle brake that works pretty well. Typical mauser accuracy with good ammo.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I happened to find one at a gunshow in Colorado Springs last year for $400.

The rifle was/is in near mint condition.  The later production rifles have a Columbian coat-of-arms disc in the side of the stock while the earlier ones don't...

You won't regret grabbing one if you can find one.  Just keep looking.

Forrest

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:55:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Very neat gun, I had one up until a couple months ago.

Very little known about their origins, but they are an interesting mix of Carcano and Arisaka - and quite accurate and robust. They feel almost like a sporting rifle to shoulder, really comfortable.

If you can get your mits on one for under $500, snap it up I'm sure you'd like it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:35:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted from www.surplusrifle.com:

The  Madsen M47/Colombian M1958 Rifle Caliber .30,  Dansk Industri Syndikat A.S. produced the rifles in 1947.

The Colombian Navy purchased them in 1958 but may have never issued them and they went directly to surplus.

This seems to be the case, as most of them show little or no use. As I understand it the M47/58 was the last bolt action rifle ever designed for use by regular infantrymen. It was obsolete the day it left the factory. But it is a nicely made rifle from what I've read. They are a bit out of my price range at the moment. I think the company that made them went out of business shortly after their contract expired. They should've invested in a semi-automatic rifle design. The future, if I may borrow a phrase from The Graduate, was in plastics.

Galland
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:42:33 AM EDT
[#5]
The last bolt action rifle ever designed for standard issue.  By the Danish Madsen concern, which had had success in small arms before (primarily their machine gun).  Was supposedly intended for the former "colonials" hence the short butt stock.  Came out just after WW II.  Unfortunately the world was awash in surplus Garands, Mausers, Enfields, Mosins, etal and it just couldn't compete. Coloumbians bought a few and  believe that was about it.  Madsen made a couple of further attempts at the small arms market, ie an assualt rifle and a machine gun but neither proceeded beyond the prototype stage.  By the late fifties or early sixties the left the small arms market entirely tho I think the company itself stayed in business.

I think I've seen two of those things in the last thirty years.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top