Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2002 6:47:57 PM EDT
Ok Guys and Gals,

Friday I am going to buy my first factory AR15. But which one.

The first is an Armalite M15A2 rifle with Green furniture

The second is a Bushmaster XM15 E2S 20 rifle with black furniture.

Both have A2 sites and chrome chambers and barrels.

Both are $799.00 at the store I like to shop at. Although I can get the Bushie at Sportsman's Warehouse for $739.00

I am really leaning toward the Armalite.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd say go with the Armalite M15A2; I own one, and have been quite happy with it- it is my first AR too. But the Bushmasters are great, too. Either way, you won't be disappointed; both are fine quality guns.

Good store prices, BTW. Out here in MA, most shops add about $100.00 to that price....
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's a 2nd vote for the Armalite.  Great quality and great customer service. Be warned though, you'll want an AR10 next.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 7:18:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Here's a 2nd vote for the Armalite.  Great quality and great customer service. Be warned though, you'll want an AR10 next.

Next? I want one now, but it is hard to convince my wife that I need the AR.....

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#4]
From 2 examples I have seen lately Armalite QC has gone downhill. Factory DCM gun had screwed up front site unusable, rear site peep hole was not drilled anywhere near center of the site. The two peep holes are not concentric when flipped from one to the other. Sent to Armalite and they had to totally rebuild the rifle. Sent new style DCM front site which is just a friction clamp front site rather than pinned in or double offset set screws for proper mechanical zero adjustment. Plus this was a preban DCM gun and they sent it back with no bayonet lug and said they don't have lugged sites anymore. Also while the site tower is on straight the handguards twist from front to back because of the way they mounted up the DCM float tube.

Second example. NIB AR18B came to a local shop in Omaha. Buttstock broken off at the receiver, Charging handle binding on the receiver so hard there was no way to cycle the action. So no way they ever test fired this gun.

I will be pushing Bushmaster, RockRiver parts and complete guns once they start Chrome Lining thier barrels and dropping the Armalite line
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 10:07:27 PM EDT
[#5]
go with the bushy, I just got a bushy m4 a3, and its great, of course it is a post ban, (which sucks) but the quality is much better than a preban, (that doesnt have anything to do with your question, sorry)
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 10:11:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
From 2 examples I have seen lately Armalite QC has gone downhill. Factory DCM gun had screwed up front site unusable, rear site peep hole was not drilled anywhere near center of the site. The two peep holes are not concentric when flipped from one to the other. Sent to Armalite and they had to totally rebuild the rifle. Sent new style DCM front site which is just a friction clamp front site rather than pinned in or double offset set screws for proper mechanical zero adjustment. Plus this was a preban DCM gun and they sent it back with no bayonet lug and said they don't have lugged sites anymore. Also while the site tower is on straight the handguards twist from front to back because of the way they mounted up the DCM float tube.

Second example. NIB AR18B came to a local shop in Omaha. Buttstock broken off at the receiver, Charging handle binding on the receiver so hard there was no way to cycle the action. So no way they ever test fired this gun.

I will be pushing Bushmaster, RockRiver parts and complete guns once they start Chrome Lining thier barrels and dropping the Armalite line

To believe this you would have to belive that the entire quality system at Armalite has disappeared.  Did Armalite have any Preban M-15's?  When was it built.  You need to provide SN or shipping info to determine root cause.  If is is "preban"  where has it been for almost 10 years?  As it stands, it sounds like you are misguided.  As Far as the AR-180B, I am assuming that is what you meant.  Again, where is the information.  Never test fired?  If what you say is true, it sounds like it got run over by a truck.  I guarantee you it never left the plant that way.  Please provide data to support your claim.  My NM is the best AR in my AR-15 collection.  My best .30 cal is my AR-10T.  My next rifle and the one after that will be an Armalite.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 10:28:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Tommy, no flames intended, but knowing the folks at Armalite, I find your claims a little hard to believe.

Mahabali- please tell us about your experiences with different AR brands.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 4:49:41 AM EDT
[#8]
If you guys knew anything about Armalite you would know that they release some pre-ban Eagle Arms guns in various configurations every so often. This DCM gun was one of them. Yes I understand the stock on the AR180B could have gotten busted but a charging knob that won't even slide in the receiver? I do not think so.

The man asked for opinions. I gave my opinion based upon two examples I dealt with lately. I don't need to provide any more stinking data on my opinion than you need to provide me on your opinion that your rifle works just fine. I have an AR10A4 which is one of the best rifles I ever did see.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 5:17:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you guys knew anything about Armalite you would know that they release some pre-ban Eagle Arms guns in various configurations every so often. This DCM gun was one of them. Yes I understand the stock on the AR180B could have gotten busted but a charging knob that won't even slide in the receiver? I do not think so.

The man asked for opinions. I gave my opinion based upon two examples I dealt with lately. I don't need to provide any more stinking data on my opinion than you need to provide me on your opinion that your rifle works just fine. I have an AR10A4 which is one of the best rifles I ever did see.

Well Tommy,

A gun built over 8 years ago does not reflect Armalite Quality today.  You said they have QC issues today not 8 years ago.  That is why it is important to know the whole story.  If they had issues 8 years ago they do not have them now.  As far as the AR-180B...an impact that would break a stock would definitely cause the assembly some deformation.  That is why it will not cycle.  

I am glad you acknowledge you positive experience with Armalite.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 6:03:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Of your two choices, I vote for Bushmaster.  They are always highly rated and very consistent.

Link Posted: 4/4/2002 6:36:06 AM EDT
[#11]
If the price is the same then go with the manufacturer that offers the best warranty.  Also, field strip both weapons and take a close look at the fit and finish.

Either one will make you a happy camper!

I looked at Armalite, Bushmaster, and Colt.  The Colt had way too many "non-standard" parts for me to get comfortable with.

The Bushmaster and Armalite were both great.  I picked the Armalite M15A4 because I liked the green furniture and they have a better warranty.  But I know I would have been just as happy with the Bushmaster.  They both stand behind their products.

Get the one that "talks to ya".  In this matter your preference is the only one that matters!
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 7:28:44 AM EDT
[#12]
ArmaLite
But I would say that as ArmaLite is what I bought.
Quality, fit, finish on both my .223's and .308's has been excellent.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 7:28:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I own an Armalite M15 A2 a new Eagle Arms (division of Armalite) M15 A2 and a Bushmaster M4gery. All are excellent and accurate rifles but the quality, fit and finish of my Armalite and Eagle Arms Ar-15s are more consistent and show a higher level of quality. That being said all else is equal in terms of performance between my three ARs. I'ld say go with which ever feels right to you. If price is more a concern get that Bushy. If the best warranty in the industry is a must get the Armalite. If a chrome lined barrel and chamber aren't a necessity get an Eagle Arms AR. No matter what you will get a great product from these manufacturer's and won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I own an Armalite M15 A2 a new Eagle Arms (division of Armalite) M15 A2 and a Bushmaster M4gery. All are excellent and accurate rifles but the quality, fit and finish of my Armalite and Eagle Arms Ar-15s are more consistent and show a higher level of quality. That being said all else is equal in terms of performance between my three ARs. I'ld say go with which ever feels right to you. If price is more a concern get that Bushy. If the best warranty in the industry is a must get the Armalite. If a chrome lined barrel and chamber aren't a necessity get an Eagle Arms AR. No matter what you will get a great product from these manufacturer's and won't be disappointed.

Funny you should mention it, but I was looking at the Eagle Arms as well, as it was $679.95, but alas, no chrome lining. That is the biggest reason for my choices here.

All of you have given good opinions I will check back tomorrow before I head to the shop but right now it looks like the Armalite. I just wish they had a carbine. They have Bushie carbines but with the A1 sites.

I won't have the money to do this again for a while, so this is the reason I am asking.

thanks again.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I went through the same process a few years ago.  I picked the ArmaLite M15A2 20”, green.  No problems with it.  I’ll probably get a carbine 16” upper for it soon.   I find my self shooting a lot more “tactical” than long range.  My only complaint is the trigger is still stiff after about 700 rounds.  I am looking for a gun smith to lighten it up just a tad.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I have always heard Armalite is the best but I will say my Bushy is SUPER!
Jim Hall
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#17]
thedave1164, where do you shop at?  I almost have my wife convinced that I need an AR-10 (OK, I didn't convince her - its more like she is tired of hearing about how cool it is every ten minutes for the last few months) and I am looking for a dealer in CO that stocks them.  
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Loveland, CO

They had an AR10A2 but I didn't see it the last time I was in there. They will order for people.

Drop me an e-mail and I will give you more info.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Another vote for ARMALITE.

I looked hard at Bushmaster and Armalite and chose the Armalite for better fit and finish and have not been dissapointed
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 2:35:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a Bushmaster and I love it...but you can't go wrong with either one, IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 7:24:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Toss a coin dude!!!   I've got both and love both..
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 9:53:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a Armalite AR10A4 & M15A4SS. I have a Bushmaster V-match 16" carbine w/fluted barrel & a Bushmaster AK Shorty. I also have a Colt SP1 preban. If its a question between Armalite or Bushmaster get the AR10 from Armalite and the 223 from Bushmaster and that should cure your disease.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 10:34:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Went to the dealer, Jensen Arms, and walked in and there it was in the rack on the wall, and it is a beauty.

But wait, what is that right next to it? No, it couldn't be, they said I wouldn't see one for 6 weeks or more, they're 6 months out if ordered today, but it is there. An Armalite M15A2 Carbine, w/green furniture. Exactly what I wanted, only on the rack for 10 minutes! Can you say I'll take it? Gimme the 4473 I tell them and take that rifle off of the rack before someone walks in and wants it. I never have that kind of luck. It is a beauty, and the trigger is awsome for a standard trigger.

I am sure that I will still be impressed when I get to the range.

Thanks for your input.

Now, before I buy a Bushie, I need to decide do I want a Fal or AR10, or do I need to buy the DCMP M1.

HELP!!!!!

Link Posted: 4/5/2002 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Dave,
first of all thanks for letting us know your decision.  Many times we offer suggestions but the poster never responds.

Now, guy out and get your AR-10A4 and let us know how you like it !
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 11:28:21 AM EDT
[#25]
go with instinct!  (instinct says bushy and you know it too.)
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
go with instinct!  (instinct says bushy and you know it too.)

Pay no attention to this guy as the plane he likes isn't even aerobatic !  (Can't even fly upside down or pull a couple of negative G's.)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top