Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2012 12:04:21 PM EDT
This should work well for me. The grey tray in the bg doesn't work right for 40 sw. the cases sit too deep for the powder funnel to mate with them correctly.

So i followed dryflashes' lead making my own.

made the template also pictured on top of the "universal" reloading tray on the comp pretty simple with some copy pasting and layer snap turned on in photoshop.

Then snagged the couple blocks of wood from work.

taped the template down and center punched the holes with a nail.

Couldn't find a 7/16ths forstner bit so had to get the 1/2" pictured in the rear block.

little too big but works ok and the added bonus is it will work with 45 as well 45 case pictured in block with forstner bit.

Used my friends drill press with depth stop set so the holes are just a hair over 0.3" just enough for my lee funnel  to sit on top of the cases properly.

my rcbs funnel is too deep to use with this block but at least 223 cases don't punch through it.

my pattern is probably a little tight for most but it fit my wood and is narrow enough that i don't have to flip the block around to get all the cases under the powder measure.

thanks for the info already here these ones came out much better than my failed attempt at a 223 block with 2x4s, a hand held drill and an ordinary bit.

just need a 45 now
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 12:09:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks very nice!

Im contemplating making some of my own...
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 3:20:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Good job !! It looks nice. And you can use it for 45ACP is a + too. Double duty stuff is always good.

For .223 the loading blocks I made were just supposed to be temporary, but I still use 'em 8 years later.
I used 1x4 pine and drilled the holes slightly smaller than the rims and only 1/4'' deep with a regular drill bit.
When I load them up I push down on the cases a little and they snap into the holes, held firm. Pine is soft enough to do that. I can turn 'em upside down and they don't fall out. I like that feature because I use a pipe cleaner to lube the case mouths and it doesn't pull the case out of the block.
It was just an accident that they turned out like that, but glad they did.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 3:40:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Great job, that's on my "to do" list, hopefully in the next couple of weeks.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 5:11:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 10:00:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Odd, I have always held each case under the powder dispenser.  I only use a funnel when transfering from a scale pan.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 8:24:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Odd, I have always held each case under the powder dispenser.  I only use a funnel when transfering from a scale pan.

I leave all the cases in the loading tray and move the funnel to each one and move the block under the pm.

This is the most efficient way for me I think i started doing it because with 223 cases i couldn't put them right under the pm without spillage...

I like to just use the same process for everything
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top