Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2003 12:08:21 PM EDT
I was wondering where can I get a M-14? Is there a semi auto only one? Is there a difference between the M1a and the M-14? What is a good price for one?  Thanks Jimmi
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 12:19:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Try armscropusa.com they made my nm m14 usgi parts douglas barrel. Shoots 1" moa groups at 100 yards open sights. My sidekick has a m1a loaded he got from springfeild. They shoot about the same mine holds tighter in the groups.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#2]
The only way you can get an m14 is to follow the NFA rules and pay the tax. For most of us serfs in the US (Canadians have a better chance of getting a real m14)you need to find an m1a (Enterprise, Armscorp, Springfield, Fulton Arms, etc..). The m1a will not have not have any way of establishing automatic fire.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#3]
M-1A is a registered trademark of Springfield Armory, Inc.  It is what they use to label their M14-type rifle.  While they did make a few in select fire long ago, M-1A's are pretty much a semi-auto only version.  Technically, only SA, Inc rifles are M-1As because that's their name.

There are other makers of semi-only M14-type rifles.  Armscorp, Smith Ent., Polytech, Norinco, Fed-Ord, to name a few.  They're called various things, usually a variation on "M14" like M14S, or M14semi, or whatever.

Other than the receciever and it's lack of full-auto capability, there isn't usually much difference between a selct and semi-only gun.  Quality varies greatly though, as some use USGI parts, some don't.  Also the quality of receivers and the build itself varies greatly as well.

Expect to pay in the $1200 ballpark for a high-qualtiy M14-type rifle that is semi-auto only.

To get a good idea, go to one of the auction sites and search for "M-1A" or "M14" and see what comes up.

Ross

Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey thanks guys for all the info. Is there any way to get a old military m-14?
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The only way you can get an m14 is to follow the NFA rules and pay the tax. For most of us serfs in the US (Canadians have a better chance of getting a real m14)you need to find an m1a (Enterprise, Armscorp, Springfield, Fulton Arms, etc..). The m1a will not have not have any way of establishing automatic fire.

Yeah, there are a lot of M14s up here, of course they are also banned, just well, we are getting sick of the dumbass laws, so only like 1in10 that were imported have been registered, maybe........

Good luck with finding a good clone, the Chinese ones are not bad with a bit of work, but new ones cannt be importecd into the USA as I understand, Springfield ones are good, and I have heard nothing but good things from Fulton Armory ones, with the exception of price
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 11:27:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe private individuals are not allowed to own machine guns in Illinois.  The authorities consider a USGI M14 a machine gun.  

Check out the James Bardwell NFA FAQ.  You can get to his FAQ from the link at www.titleii.com  
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:36:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Jimmy --

You can certainly get a M14 if Illinois law and your bank account permit it.  I've not priced them lately, but I'd expect them to be in the $10,000 range.  I've seen select fire M1As in the $8,000 range.

There were some absolutely beautiful "demilitarized and welded" M14s produced a few years ago, but BATF has seized (or attempted to seize) all ~350 of them despite the fact they were semi-only.  The maker is waiting trial.

There are several differences between the commercial M1A-types and the M14 but they function the same and the clones can use real M14 parts.  As noted M1A is a Springfield, Inc, trademark but others make receivers.  There are usually two or three makers doing this at any one time on limited runs.

The older M1As are very close to the M14, lacking only the selector mount and the notch in the receiver for the connector.  The older models have USGI M14 barrels (chrome lined), operating rods, bolts, trigger assemblies, and other small parts.  New commercial M1As have reproduction barrels (not chrome lined) and other parts, most of which are castings rather than machined.

-- Chuck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top