Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2008 7:01:35 PM EDT
Well, I waited forever for the Bushmaster/Magupul ACR to come out and then finally came to the realization along with many others that it won't be available any time soon if at all.   After hearing that the new US AUG (which was interpreted by myself to be similar to the A3) was not just a pipe dream I decided to get on a list to get one.  After hearing evidence that it may not have all of the A3 features (mainly the full rail system) I decided to order a MSAR STG 556 two weeks ago through RATWORX (great people by the way) in case the AUG wasn't what I was hoping for.  I wanted a railed version with a 20 inch barrel and was told it would be a week or two before they got any more rifles in.  Well I called tonight and spoke to Chris from RATWORX to inquire if they had gotten any in.  He said they had but they only had a few 16" ones in stock and it would probably be another couple of weeks before they got any 20" ones in.  I decided I'd wait for them to come in and he said he'd call me.  Well around 30 minutes later he called me back and said they found one and I said I'd take it (should receive it next week)!.  So after all the waiting for the next great thing I'll be getting what appears to be a solid rifle from a US manufacturer with a 20" barrel.  It will have the 9" top rail (putting my EOTECH on it) and I also ordered the 9" side rail and two 30 round mags (I already have three 42 rounders plus whatever AUG mags I end up with for Christmas since they were on my list).  From the sounds of it most on this site are happy with the rifle, this and the fact that I haven't read a negative gun mag review about it helped me make my decision.  This will be my first bullpup and I'm pretty excited.  I'll update once I receive the rifle.  Thanks and sorry for rambling on about pretty much nothing but I'm just happy to finally make some progress in my search for my next weapon.

Update
Well I finally got to pick the rifle up today.
I'm very pleased with the fit and finish.  MSAR did a fine job and I love the way the rifle handles and balances.  I mounted my EOTech on it as well as the 9" side rail I purchased with it.  I also took my Surefire X200 off one of my Kimbers and mounted it on the side rail so the switch can be activated by my thumb while holding the VFG.  It works pretty slick but I will probably be purchasing another light for it so that the Surefire can go back to it's rightful owner.  So far I am very happy with my decision to go with the STG-556 and think MSAR did a fine job.  Hopefully I will feel the same after some range time which weather and time permitting will happen this weekend.  I will also post some pics when I get a chance.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 7:29:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Great choice. I took mine out the other day for the first time and it worked like a champ with ammo from top tier to bottom of the barrel. I took was saving money for one of the other anticipated releases and decided that I would go with MSAR after reading up on them here. The Steyr US AUG lost a lot of it's appeal when they canned the rail system and other A3 features. I just couldn't justify spending the extra money or risk waiting for a rifle that might never make it to market or only do so in limited #'s.  If I were to pay that much I might even have gone with TPD over Steyr as I really like what I hear about them and it's great to support another home born manufacturer.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats! I hope you enjoy your rifle.
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 2:13:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I got it, see update in OP... no pictures yet.
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#4]
The STG 556 is a fine purchase and you have it now in your hands, which under the current political climate you can't put a price on in terms of peace of mind since we all want to purchase magazines and spare parts for our rifles over the course of the next year along with ammunition just in case. God forbid we get some mass shooting after January 20th with this new Congress.

Link Posted: 1/13/2009 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Alright, here are a few pictures...  I just realized how bad my camera and picture taking skills are!  Still haven't had a chance to shoot the damn thing yet.

" />

" />

Link Posted: 1/13/2009 11:47:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice add that to our tacked "picture thread."

Black must be the most popular color with STGs.
Link Posted: 1/13/2009 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Black must be the most popular color with STGs.

I would have preferred green when I was buying but I'll be darned if the black hasn't grown on me over time!
Tomac

Link Posted: 1/15/2009 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Tan and a Black STG I like the Tan gun better…
Link Posted: 1/16/2009 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm an OD green guy.

My current STG 556 is a Gen III OD Green.

Link Posted: 1/19/2009 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Well I got to put some rounds down the pipe today since it warmed up to 25 degrees.  I fired a total of 123 rounds of Ultramax 55gr. and 40 rounds of Wolf 55gr.  The first magazine I tried had the 40 rounds of wolf.  I fired this rapid fire and had a round fail to extract around halfway through the magazine.  I removed the mag and racked the charging handle and the round fell out the magwell.  I then reinserted the mag and carried on.  I had no other issues of any kind after that.  The rifle was very enjoyable to shoot and I had a good time.  The magazine exchanges are definitely a little awkward for me but I'm sure this will get better with practice.  I will give a better review when I get out next time.  So far I'm very happy with the rifle aside from the one hangup with the Wolf ammo which I'm sure was the culprit.  The magazines (3 MSAR 42 rounders and 1 AUG 42 Rounder) all functioned as they should.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well I got to put some rounds down the pipe today since it warmed up to 25 degrees.  I fired a total of 123 rounds of Ultramax 55gr. and 40 rounds of Wolf 55gr.  The first magazine I tried had the 40 rounds of wolf.  I fired this rapid fire and had a round fail to extract around halfway through the magazine.  I removed the mag and racked the charging handle and the round fell out the magwell.  I then reinserted the mag and carried on.  I had no other issues of any kind after that.  The rifle was very enjoyable to shoot and I had a good time.  The magazine exchanges are definitely a little awkward for me but I'm sure this will get better with practice.  I will give a better review when I get out next time.  So far I'm very happy with the rifle aside from the one hangup with the Wolf ammo which I'm sure was the culprit.  The magazines (3 MSAR 42 rounders and 1 AUG 42 Rounder) all functioned as they should.

Nice, one FTE with Wolf isn't bad at all with new mags and a new unbroken in rifle.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:19:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I got to finally shoot a few more rounds out of her on Friday.  Just another quick shoot but it was fun.  I shot 40 rounds of Ultramax 55gr, 40 rounds of Wolf 55gr. and 20 rounds of Wolf 75gr without a hiccup.  Still no real accuray test yet since I haven't taken the time to dial the EoTech in (waiting for my 75gr Prvi to arrive and for it to warm up).    Definately my favorite rifle to date.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice, let me know what you think of the 75 gr. Prvi. I've been having good success with their 62 gr. M855 with my STG and other rifles.

Also I know this isn't the ammunition forum, but what's your verdict on Ultramax?

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:33:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I ran a 42 round magazine of Privi 75gr through my 1/9 LE OD during a shoot and move drill last week and experienced no malfunctions, or evidence of key-holing on the target.

Too, Radway Green SS-109 has performed satisfactorily.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:03:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nice, let me know what you think of the 75 gr. Prvi. I've been having good success with their 62 gr. M855 with my STG and other rifles.

Also I know this isn't the ammunition forum, but what's your verdict on Ultramax?

I've never had any issues with Ultramax, I've shot it in the RRA AR I had, the STG, and also in my Kimber 45's.  Not the most accurate but not bad and like I said, it always went bang.  It's the cheapest stuff available locally (Dick's Sporting Goods) so I pick some up once in awhile if it's available and on sale.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top