Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/8/2010 11:33:55 PM EDT
I've been away from the boards for a while and I was wondering if MSAR ever got their factory optic situation resolved. I sent my defective optic in for repair or replacement in April and MSAR Dave said that he would send out replacement optics to everyone that had sent one in for repair/replacement. They still have my defective optic, they did however send me a rail to put on the gun so I could use it, but haven't heard back from them about the replacement optic. Anyone else have this experience? I would like the optic because I bought the STG (gen IV) with the integrated optic for a reason. If I wanted a rail model I would have bought one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:09:32 AM EDT
It won't be anytime soon.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:25:27 AM EDT
They do not have a new optic yet, and will not have one for a while from what I know "on the inside". Sorry bro.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:10:53 AM EDT
Yeah for right now those of us with bad optics are SOL. Hopefully soon MSAR will get us a quality replacement one to us one day. If I knew then what I know now I would have just skipped it and put the extra $300 I would have spent toward a quality red dot or scope. Oh well...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:58:45 AM EDT
And here I was thinking of pulling the trigger on a STG 20" with optic. I didn't even know they were having problems with them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:04:23 AM EDT
A quoted 3 week replacement period for me has turned into a year and counting. Needless to say I am not happy.

I really hope they come through for me and are not just stringing people along with no plans to actually have a new optic.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:35:40 AM EDT
Some of the optics were fine, but some won't hold a zero for nothing. Don't spend the money for the optic, just buy a rail version instead. I'm glad that I actually bought a pre-ban Steyr AUG A1(NIB i might add). Never shoot the STG anymore, but nonetheless I would like what I paid for. Also, no problems at all with the Steyr like the bolt not holding open on last round, bad mags, etc. I know I might get flamed for this but there is a big difference in quality between the MSAR clone and and actual Steyr AUG. AUG owners back me up on this.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:16:05 AM EDT
i'm actually really concerned about this issue.

I have one of the limited edition kits that came with the rail and optic. My optic is green and numbered to the gun, so if it malfunctions, they won't be able to replace it unless they're willing to send me a numbered and color matched replacement...

by the way, this is my gun. i'm not sure i've posted this pic yet

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:24:07 AM EDT
There's a guy on Gunbroker selling the tube for the scope for $249. He says it should work with MSAR. The title of his ad is "Steyr AUG MSAR STG 556 - Swarovski 1,5x scope" Anyone know it this will really work?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:36:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By seelbo:
There's a guy on Gunbroker selling the tube for the scope for $249. He says it should work with MSAR. The title of his ad is "Steyr AUG MSAR STG 556 - Swarovski 1,5x scope" Anyone know it this will really work?

I can gaurantee no one has tried it yet, as Steyr optics tubes are few and far between.

Save your money for the moment, I suspect an alternative solution may be available soon...I just have that feeling.

Sven
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:52:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By HuntsvilleSniper:

I have one of the limited edition kits that came with the rail and optic. My optic is green and numbered to the gun, so if it malfunctions, they won't be able to replace it unless they're willing to send me a numbered and color matched replacement...

<a href="http://img830.imageshack.us/i/msarstg556.jpg/" target="_blank">http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/4035/msarstg556.jpg</a>

Yeah, until you trade it for something else!

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:57:44 PM EDT
I was thinking more for the guys who have special edition rifles with bad scopes, This may get them back up without devaluing their rifles.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:37:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By joedirt1977:
Originally Posted By HuntsvilleSniper:

<a href="http://img830.imageshack.us/i/msarstg556.jpg/" target="_blank">http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/4035/msarstg556.jpg</a>

Yeah, until you trade it for something else!

joe, don't think it hasn't occurred to me, but really, the only thing i think i'd trade for would be a limited edition E4, or maybe an rfb with a nice optic. I LOVE the Gebirgsjäger version of the msar.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:41:01 PM EDT
I was thinking more for the guys who have special edition rifles with bad scopes, This may get them back up without devaluing their rifles.

seelbo, i really appreciate that thought. So far, my optic seems to be flawless, but with all the issues i've heard about i'm a bit concerned that mine might not continue to function at 100%
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:00:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2010 5:05:37 AM EDT by Alex_B69]

I guess we can call those rifles "special broken glass edition"

BUYER: "What is special about this edition?"
MSAR : "It comes with a broken scope which we will never be able to fix! It is awesome! You get the thrilling experience of zeroing your rifle constantly!"

Lol..
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:47:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Alex_B69:

MSAR : "It comes with a broken scope which we will never be able to fix! It is awesome! You get the thrilling experience of zeroing your rifle constantly!"

Lol..

LOL That's the kind I bought. It was such fun to zero the rifle over and over. Even more fun when the zeroing was in between mags not range trips. Not to mention the myriad of other problems (broken extractor, broken bolt sleeve, jacked up hammer pack, etc) Oh yeah, the gun was new when I bought it. Great product
I must be fair though, the sales rep, Dave, is a great guy. He sent me a replacement for every part of my STG that failed, except the optic of course, but that's beyond his control. No sarcasm there either, Dave really is a great guy and he tries to keep the company afloat by trying to go behind the shoddy quality control of the company and helping many of us out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:10:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Heath3493:

Lol..

LOL That's the kind I bought. It was such fun to zero the rifle over and over. Even more fun when the zeroing was in between mags not range trips. Not to mention the myriad of other problems (broken extractor, broken bolt sleeve, jacked up hammer pack, etc) Oh yeah, the gun was new when I bought it. Great product
I must be fair though, the sales rep, Dave, is a great guy. He sent me a replacement for every part of my STG that failed, except the optic of course, but that's beyond his control. No sarcasm there either, Dave really is a great guy and he tries to keep the company afloat by trying to go behind the shoddy quality control of the company and helping many of us out.

Yeah, too bad Dave doesn't work there anymore.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:18:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2010 10:19:13 AM EDT by Alex_B69]
Neither of mine STG-556 have broken yet, but I was wondering if I should start shooting .223's out of them instead of 5.56mm? Maybe will wear the gun less?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:21:16 AM EDT
Neither of mine STG-556 have broken yet, but I was wondering if I should start shooting .223's out of them instead of 5.56mm? Maybe will wear the gun less?

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:30:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By sgtlmj:
Originally Posted By Heath3493:

Lol..

Yeah, too bad Dave doesn't work there anymore.

I guess Dave finally grew tired of fixing problems for a company wrought with mediocrity. I'm so glad I had the disposable income to buy the Steyr AUG when I did now I know I will never see the 1.5 optic for my STG.. The only good thing about MSAR was Dave and their knives.
Top Top