Which do you prefer? What do you like/dislike about each one?
I assume that we are talking about real (full-auto) MP5s and UMPs and not semi-auto clones. I have shot both, here is my list:
1) More controllable than the UMP on full-auto.
2) The MP5's roller-locked action provides for smoother shooting than the UMP.
3) Parts are more easily available, from a wide variety of sources.
4) A much longer track record of performance and reliability.
1) Cheaper than the MP5 for those who can actually buy one (LE/military).
2) Barrel is user-swappable. In contrast, the MP5 barrel requires a hydraulic press to swap out.
3) Caliber-converable between 9mm, 40 and 45 by switching barrel, bolt and mags (and ejector for 9mm).
4) While parts are more difficult to obtain, they seem to be less expensive.
MP5 Cons (vs. UMP)
1) Not caliber switchable. 40 and 10mm versions no longer available new, and parts are more scarce. No .45 versions made.
2) Barrel not user-swappable.
UMP Cons (vs. MP5)
1) Rougher to shoot due to the heavy bolt.
2) Not as easy to control in full-auto. It tends to walk up and to the right.
3) Some reports of the plastic receiver melting in sustained full-auto usage. I cannot verify this personally.
If I could own only one, it would be the MP5 in 9mm. As much as I love the 40 S&W round, it is too difficult to find MP5/40 parts these days. Of course if you are able to own one of these, you likely have an armorer that can maintain it and find parts for you.
Having said all of that, I do own semi-auto "clone" versions of both guns and I wouldn't give either one of them up!
I took my HK94 and USC out shooting the other day and put 100 rounds through each. The 94 is just silky smooth when it comes to shooting - it just plain feels RIGHT... The USC is a ton of fun as well but it is a completely different feel when it comes to shooting. You can feel that big bolt going back and forth. I would say accuracy is about the same on each (I was hitting 12 guage hulls at about 50 yards with the USC with an EoTech on top). If you told me I could only have one I would choose.... uhhhhh.... I'll get back to you in a couple days...
I've had plenty of time with both various MP5's and with the UMP (and with the MP7 PDW), and I like them all. I've shot both in competition, and the MP7 PDW also (1 match). That said, I learned on the 9x19mm MP5, and although I have a choice of either getting an MP5/10 or MP5 in 9x19mm issued to me, I stick with the MP5 in 9x19mm because it is what I originally learned when I took the MP5 Operator's Course and it is what I like. For all the same reasons listed above. Runs smooth as silk.
Anyone have an on-line link to ANYONe who can sell UMP's? LEO/whatever. Just asking.
I fired my first this Sat. Man.......
I loved that thing. Not seriously accurate at the far end of 50m range though.
but had fun around 15-20m on full auto!
Just wondering who is selling these to LEO's.
edit~would be nice to pair up with USP Tactical as a kit, too...~edit