Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2006 8:55:43 PM EDT
Does anyone have any Idea about these HK knock offs that are on gun selling sites. I know a couple are Bobcat, Special Weapons. Are these clones any good? I know there is nothing like the real thing (ie: HK) but my pockets don't run that deep these days.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:35:56 PM EDT
[#1]
bobcat and special weapons are the same group of idiots running under different LLCs all registered at the same adress.  why?  because special weapons got too much bad press for all their crap weapons, and todd bailey(the owner) started bobcat weapons to start anew.  they suck, bad, run away and get a beretta storm or an uzi or something that will work out of the box.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:00:19 AM EDT
[#2]
You can also have your own gun built from a parts kit and a receiver...

It will work great out of the box but, you will pay more and you'll have to wait for months...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Ive got two. One is a SW factory rifle. The other was built by Jayson @ IGF. That one was built on a SW receiver + parts kit. The factory one needed a little "tweaking" for 100% function. The IGF has never skipped a beat since I got it. It loves 115gr Win Silvertips and 124gr Rem Golden Sabers.......

Stay away from the Vulcan copies. They are not even roller delayed- just straight blowback. I've never owned one, but I've read the problems.

One thing to consider- If you have $1500 for a clone, put a few hundred more with it and get a California DOJ HK94. There is a thread where someone is selling these for $2300 on another board. If these were available when I was in the market- I would have jumped on them in a heartbeat!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:42:40 AM EDT
[#4]
If you get one from SW, expect to replace the extractor spring to get it to work 100%. Otherwise it's almost a bolt action 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:06:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you get one from SW, expect to replace the extractor spring to get it to work 100%. Otherwise it's almost a bolt action 9mm.

sad, considering its a $1300 firearm
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:27:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Well the part about todd running bobcat isnt completely acurate. He makes everything for them just like he does the stuff for Vector (all of the vector HK stuff is doen by them and they work because vector makes sure they do.) Anyway, the first extractor springs did suck and after speaking with Bobcat on the phone they said they would send me a new one totally free of charge. They sent me one of the new gold plated springs (heard of people putting these in their HK guns because they are suppose to last longer.) He also offered to take my gun in there and replace any of the older stuff that was on it with new stuff since I bought it used due to supply and demand. He said he would rather make sure it works fine if I am using it for 3 guns and stuff. Well the extractor spring totally fixed any problems I had. I popped off the fake can when I got my form 1 back and attached not only the FH but a suppressor to the barrel without any problems with it being out of spec. I was doing 75 yard shots at the last 3 gun match with the thing and an aimpoint. I was tossing the plates at that distance just as well if not more consistantly than some of the ARs. I have the older lower since I dont like the way the ambi safety digs into my hand and I also have a HK fixed stock for it that I dont use as much as the colapsable. My 1 and only gripe is that the colapsable BW stock kind of sucks but I deal. I had also one problem with a winchester white box HP 147. It got caught on the feed ramp and it was the last round. From what I can tell it was a problem centering around the length of the bullet extending out of the case and the size of the hole in the tip. All of my more expensive self protection JHPs have a much smaller hole in the tip. Go figure what you get when you pay $10 for a box of subsonic hollow points.

I have heard of a few gripes about the Vector 40, 10s, and 357s. Most center around that they jam for like the first 200 rounds and that the BHO device breaks. Vector sais that they are fixing that problem soon and everyone would get replacements if they broke it. Currenlty, my local range has a 10mm there with registered sear and they put a ton of rounds through that thing. I dont think they have had any problems with it other than the BHO device.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#7]
if he's not running bobcat then why is it at the same address as special weapons, coharie arms, top notch, and the rest of those corporations?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Todd bailey just happens to be a scumbag

edit: and I think that it just happens to be more and more of his builds going into circulation that are boosting the number of "happy" owners with rifles that actually work.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:24:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#11]
if you're gonn ago bobcat, get it from atlantic.  it seems the clones can be either a) bought from a reputable dealer like atlantic who will back them up and be your advocate on any issues with teh company or b) be built from receivrs by reputable smiths who know the various flaws of certain brands and can correct them during teh build.  

point of story, do not buy from Rguns.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:17:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Horse, have you delt with him before or are you just repeating what everyone else sais?

Apparently this guy that runs bobcat is in the same building as them. I dont know if he handles the marketing of the 9mm stuff completely but he definitly doesnt throw the temper tantrums that Todd has. Vector is doing the same thing. Does he own vector? Certainly not.

I have talked with Todd and seen that his major draw back is his apparent short temper and the need to bash his compeditors all the time. This doesnt seem too far from what people are doing when they constantly talk smack about bobcats, vectors, and JLDs. Todd seems to have fixed most of his problems with building the things and has probably done the right thing if he lets someone else handle the customer service and marketing aspect. Apparently this Cohare arms is in a similar fashion but when you do a little research you will see that Todd is has apparently registered the name in NV and someone else has registered it in the state the company is suppose to be in. Odd but what the hay.

Bottom line is that SW is the only company currently making the receivers and parts for these things. No matter your opinion on the company, the things seem to work really well now and people are buying them. Any short comings that do come up either Bobcat or Vector seem to be more than willing to fix.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top