Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/8/2010 8:20:50 AM EDT
looking to pick one up. The asking prices seem to hover around 18k or more.

Do the various websites negotiate or are they firm on the prices??

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:44:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 8:45:15 AM EDT by Monkey-man]
This may not help:

I own three types of military/automatic weapons.

1. Guns that are bloody rare that I'll never have a chance to own again if I sell or break them that hang on a wall forever like in a museum. Lewis and Maxim come to mind.
2. Guns that are not very rare but are valuable and interesting but not very fun to shoot. M14, G36, Thompsons, STEns come to mind.
3. Guns that are an absolute blast to shoot regardless of value, easy to run and maintain and that go to the range just about every time. M16, Uzi and MP5 come to mind.

The only thing that could make an MP5 better would be a .22 conversion kit. For that reason ONLY I think the M16 has a slight edge in owner satisfaction.

As Tony likes to say, YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:47:08 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Monkey-man:
This may not help:

I own three types of military/automatic weapons.

1. Guns that are bloody rare that I'll never have a chance to own again if I sell or break them that hang on a wall forever like in a museum. Lewis and Maxim come to mind.
2. Guns that are not very rare but are valuable and interesting but not very fun to shoot. M14, G36, Thompsons, STEns come to mind.
3. Guns that are an absolute blast to shoot regardless of value, easy to run and maintain and that go to the range just about every time. M16, Uzi and MP5 come to mind.

The only thing that could make an MP5 better would be a .22 conversion kit. For that reason ONLY I think the M16 has a slight edge in owner satisfaction.

As Tony likes to say, YMMV.

A thompson isn't fun to shoot?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:09:49 AM EDT

money talks. especially in a weak economy where the MG market is a buyer's market.

have cash in hand, scour subguns and sturm, and you'll be able to do a bit better.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:44:44 AM EDT
Do you need to spend that amount of money..NO
Do you want to spend that amount of money..
You have want and need mixed up, one has nothing to do with the other.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:39:20 PM EDT
You can get one at a better price then that. I picked up a sear gun with a DOJ 94 for under $15k. I know of a number of MP5's that have sold in the last year for under $16k. If you have cash, and are quick, you can get a deal. Or post a WTB for an MP5 at $17k or whatever you want to spend. Its a buyers market right now. Cash talks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:45:43 PM EDT
I would say that no you don't have to spend $18K to get an MP5 right now. However, the question is unfortunately like somebody asking if they have to spend $50K for a used Porsche.... it really just depends on the model, condition, and who you are buying from.

MP5s run the gamot regarding how they were converted, the quality of the conversion work, what parts have been added, condition, etc.

I would say that you could probably get into a bare bones, registered receiver with married sef pack or married sear, , welded carrier, chopped barrel, beater from an individual out of state for probably as low as $13,000 or a HK sear gun that comes with an older style "clone" host for $13,000.

However, if you want a sear gun with a true low mileage german receiver with all the bells and whistles (Paddle mag, MP5N barrel, Burst Pack, Remarked, Refinished, by a top notch builder, never fired since conversion) and coming from a reputable dealer so you don't worry that your gun may never show up, than you are in store of every bit of $18K. Same goes for a true pushpin conversion MP5 with all the same features.

I would say the average sear based MP5 with a run of the mill german receiver is around mid $16s right now.

James
Austin, Texas
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:02:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 2:55:25 PM EDT by dmtsc]
This is the way I look at NFA purchases, I usually use the larger dealers because the extra amount I pay is usually for peace of mind. I'm not one of those people who can just send anyone a check for $16000-$18000 and hope my dealer receives a gun some time. I've bought 3 guns from Ruben Mendiola and the transfers to my dealer have taken 5 weeks or less which for an out of state transfer is pretty good at this time and I know that my money is safe. I think it all boils down to what kind of buyer you are and how much risk you are willing to take and your anxiety level.

This is the last gun I bought from Ruben on 8/15/10 and these are Rubens pictures, hope these pics send you over the edge also

ps I had to have an MP5 myself also, good luck and get the MP5
david

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:37:39 PM EDT
Makes me wish I had been able to snag one of those $14k PDW's that sold in Feb of this year. I do like the PDW's.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:31:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By damcv62:
Makes me wish I had been able to snag one of those $14k PDW's that sold in Feb of this year. I do like the PDW's.

Where were they 14K? Damn good price
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:19:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:05:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By dmtsc:

Where were they 14K? Damn good price

Local guys had it. Sold four of them at that price. Damn right it was a good price. Just sad I didn't get one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:13:23 PM EDT
You can get one at a better price then that. I picked up a sear gun with a DOJ 94 for under $15k. I know of a number of MP5's that have sold in the last year for under $16k. If you have cash, and are quick, you can get a deal. Or post a WTB for an MP5 at $17k or whatever you want to spend. Its a buyers market right now. Cash talks.

i would listen to this man, i have for quite awhile
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:42:02 AM EDT
A lot about price depends on the quality of the base gun, conversion and sear.

Start with an HK SP89, use HK full auto parts, Fleming sear and have it done by a name smith (Dyer, RDTS, etc.) and its in top shape, 18k is reasonable.

Want a shooter and willing to go with a clone host and welded semi-parts? $18k is too much then; then your in the mid teens.

I have the first and it runs like a top. Better reliability than my Vector UZI. At shoots, I've seen types of the second jam all day long.

It's like M-16s. If you want a Colt M16, you pay. SP1 conversion by some guy using a hand drill, is cheaper.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:53:40 AM EDT
Originally Posted By tony_k:
Ever since 1986, registered machine guns have been absolutely silly in price. So you have to figure out for yourself if it is worth it. "Need" is not an issue ... as noted, it is "want."

When I bought my first MG, I did the forms, got them signed by my CLEO, handed the FFL/SOT a check, then went home and sweated. I mean literally, I had entire nights where I could not sleep because I couldn't believe I had spent that much money on a gun. Toss, turn, all night, then get up and go to work. And I also did the usual sweating about "did I get ripped off? It has been months".....

Finally, seven months later, the approved Form 4 arrived, and I went to pick up my new toy. It was everything I dreamed of (no, not the nightmares, the dreams).

It was a Colt factory M16A1. And it was 1994. And I paid $2,000 for it.

I'll let you decide whether this is relevant to your thread. But dammit, I will be buried with this M16A1.

I'll be digging up your grave that very night....
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:12:36 PM EDT
Humm..wow..
i never had night sweats... and i spent $2000 on Semi's with all the goodies...
Yes, i would say its all about the ''want'' factor. life goes by to fast to ponder shit back and forth.

the right time is when its time for one self. im not into this hobby for flip value.
in a jam it is nice to know they have a value. but i live life, not put a value on every moment.
i seen to many people put all thier money in the so called right place , only to drop dead a week after retiring.

if you ''want'' a Mp5, get it ! shop around for sure,,, and you will find one
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:57:18 AM EDT
Guy on our local board just sold a sear lower for $12k, it went fast. So $18k seems a bit high but you will always pay more going through a dealer.
Top Top