Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2002 10:45:10 AM EDT
As some might know, I moved to MO a few months ago.  I still haven't gotten my BS handgun license.

What is involved in this process?  Who do I go to (I'm in STL)?  How much, how long does it take?  Any other things I should know?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#1]
HK,
That only applies to people in St. Louis County doesn't it?

I live way down south in the sticks and I didn't have to have any kind of special license per say.

Just the usual NICS yellow sheet and registering it with the local sherrif's office.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 10:57:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
HK,
That only applies to people in St. Louis County doesn't it?

I live way down south in the sticks and I didn't have to have any kind of special license per say.

Just the usual NICS yellow sheet and registering it with the local sherrif's office.

Didn't know that.  Doesn't surprise me one bit though.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Didn't know that.  Doesn't surprise me one bit though.

Don't hold me to that, but I think that is correct.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I purchased a pistol in 1991 while living in MO.  I was required to go to the local sheriffs office to complete a short form before I could pick-up the weapon.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#5]
For the most part in MO all you have to do is the usual 7 day waiting period/background check with the local sheriffs dept. There's not an actual license.

To be real honest with you, I'm not aware of any special permits or licenses that you need in the ST. Louis. Though I could be wrong. A quick call to the local sheriffs dept. should clear that up though.

Link Posted: 1/6/2002 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know if St. Louis has any special requirements.

Missouri law requires a permit from the county sheriff to purchase a concealable weapon.

In 1998 they changed this so at least a C&R FFL could have a East German Makarov directly delivered without a permit.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
As some might know, I moved to MO a few months ago.  I still haven't gotten my BS handgun license.

What is involved in this process?  Who do I go to (I'm in STL)?  How much, how long does it take?  Any other things I should know?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know about St Louis city or county, but in the rest of Missouri, you go down to the Sheriff and get a Permit To Buy.  Cost is still $10.00 I think. You have to fill out the Federal yellow sheet, and the dealer has to call it in to the FBI.
There is NO waiting period under state law, nor does any Federal waiting period apply, since the visit to the Sheriff qualifies as such under Brady.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I don't know about St Louis city or county, but in the rest of Missouri, you go down to the Sheriff and get a Permit To Buy.  Cost is still $10.00 I think. You have to fill out the Federal yellow sheet, and the dealer has to call it in to the FBI.
There is NO waiting period under state law, nor does any Federal waiting period apply, since the visit to the Sheriff qualifies as such under Brady.

Does one have to do this EACH time a handgun is bought???  I could live without the $10, but getting a 'hall pass' from the Sheriff each and every time seems like a pain in the rear.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:52:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Does one have to do this EACH time a handgun is bought???  I could live without the $10, but getting a 'hall pass' from the Sheriff each and every time seems like a pain in the rear.

Yes - for EACH handgun you buy.

In fact, the law is very specific.  It applies to ALL TRANSFERS of handguns, not just dealers.  I think a lot of people are unaware of this.

This includes dealer and privates sales.  It also includes extended loans!  No kidding - if your girlfriend buys a gun and loans it to you or keeps it at your house, you will be violating MO law if you do not get the permit beforehand.

I'm pretty familiar with this, because (as I just mentioned in another thread) I'm prohibited from getting a permit to buy a handgun in MO.  I'm not prohibited from OWNING one, just from buying, borrowing or otherwise acquiring one.

They don't care about the one I already owned when I moved here - I just cannot buy more.

Idiots.  I tried to challenge it in court, but that went nowhere.

So I got an FFL and bought the handgun I wanted anyway, just to show them.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#10]
DKProf,

I won't pry into your situation, but is there any reason why I should expect to be denied the ability to purchase a handgun in STL CO.?
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 8:10:23 PM EDT
[#11]
You have to go the the Sheriff each time you want to purchase a new handgun and pay the $10 and fill out the form (the form is not standard and varies from County to County) and wait the 7 business day period to have the Sheriff or someone with the authority to sign the form sign it.  You then go to your local FFL, Friend, Gun Show, or what have you and purchase the handgun you want.

I do not believe that this applies to black powder handguns.

I have never heard of having to get a permit for a handgun in St. Louis, but hey..anything is possible.

Oh..after you get the permit you still have to go with the yellow paper check.  The handgun permit only says the Sheriff says it is okay for you to have the handgun.

What they do at the Sheriffs Office is run a criminal history check on you through NCIC and MULES.

On the permit you have to fill out pretty much all your info..Name, SS#, DOB, address, phone #...and that does go on file in the Sheriffs Office.  They do not go into a State Computer system (YET!)

I don't know if I added anything or not..just my 2 cents.

medcop
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:27:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
DKProf,

I won't pry into your situation, but is there any reason why I should expect to be denied the ability to purchase a handgun in STL CO.?

No prying at all - thanks for being diplomatic, though.

There's an old law on the books in Missouri that prohibits non-citizens from buying handguns.  Since I am not a citizen, but a legal resident alien, I was denied when I applied for the permit.

The logic was bizarre.  I was allowed to own the Colt 1991A1 I already had, and since there are no federal restrictions on aliens, I could get an FFL and just bypass the whole permit thing, and get the handgun anyway.  I went to court to explain this, and while they understood the argument, they were unwilling to do anything.  So I got the FFL.  Luckily the handgun I was buying was a 1943 Walther P-38, so I just got the C&R FFL, not the more expensive regular FFL.

If you're fine with the federal yellow form, you'll be fine with the MO permit - unless you're a no-good foreigner like me.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Under Mo law you do have to get the permit for any handgun, from any source.  However, I've never heard of anybody being prosecuted under this law.

Again, there is NO waiting period under Mo law.  Some Sheriff's may have their own rules about how long it will take to get it signed, but in my county it usually gets done while you wait.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Under Mo law you do have to get the permit for any handgun, from any source.  However, I've never heard of anybody being prosecuted under this law.

Again, there is NO waiting period under Mo law.  Some Sheriff's may have their own rules about how long it will take to get it signed, but in my county it usually gets done while you wait.

Wow!...I learn something new everyday...I thought the waiting period was law.  I have received permits in Clark, Scotland, Adair, and Boone County....I did not have to wait in Adair and Boone, but the others I did.  What County do you live in.  The only reason I didn't have to wait in Adair and Boone is because I am a LEO, but if I wasn't they would have made me wait.

medcop
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:26:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I live in the city of St. Louis and heres the procedure and im not kidding.

Need to be registered to vote.
Need to have 2 letters of reference.
Need to bring a gun lock to the election board office.
Have the handgun identified.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:12:44 PM EDT
[#16]
One more question (I hope).  I'm trying to trade my TRP for something different, do you have to know the exact make of handgun (or even serial #, etc.) before you get the permit, or can you get an 'open ended' permit?

If so, what is the timeframe before the permit will 'expire'?
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
One more question (I hope).  I'm trying to trade my TRP for something different, do you have to know the exact make of handgun (or even serial #, etc.) before you get the permit, or can you get an 'open ended' permit?

If so, what is the timeframe before the permit will 'expire'?

I believe permits are good for 10 days...and yes, they are "open ended"  you get the permit and then go decide what handgun to purchase

medcop
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:45:56 PM EDT
[#18]
HKocker;

The sheriff's Hand Gun permit is valid for 30 days; The weapon description is left blank and it is filled by the Seller (make; model; serial #; caliber and capacity) after the purchase and it is sent back to the sheriff's office.  You also get a copy.  How the forms look varies from county to county.

The latest in my area now changed to include my FFL's license number and the reason for sell and also now includes to give the purchases drivers ID number. yuck!

Offcourse this and in addition to NIC check applies only to Handgun purchase and NIC's only for Rifles.

KS has a better rule now for both long guns and handguns, you only need NICs check!
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks, that should do if for now.  Wish me luck, I want that USP Tact.!

njogi, I used to live in KS (and CO), so I miss that, but at least here I can get MGs.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Hkocher;

That's right .. I live in MO too.  Family member has a Class III so we get to enjoy g36, m16, mp5's, ump's, uzi's, etc.

I just bought a USP 45, but wanted an "expert" varity so badly .. but had just bought a usp 9 before that..

tactical would be nice with a can though .. :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top