Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
4/22/2019 5:32:20 PM
Posted: 11/26/2014 11:42:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/26/2014 11:46:34 PM EDT by Triksta]
BLUF:
After foot marching all over the place I have come to find that I hate the standard issue MOLLE II Ruck especially the shoulder straps and waist belt.

Honestly the pack itself isn't that bad but the shoulder straps and waist belt are garbage. Therefore, I began a search to replace that piece of ass. The Mystery Ranch NICE Frame seemed like a good idea (My butter bar is working already!) until I had the two sitting next to each other. My original plan was to take the pack and and attach it to the NICE Frame. I was successful in doing so however, it looked supper ghetto and I couldn't bring myself to actually have people see me walking around looking like a soup sandwich even if it "worked". I couldn't get the pack to stay flat against the NICE Frame when empty. It just flopped everywhere. However with extra compression straps I purchased I was able to make it work. Also, It looked like to many things could potentially go wrong with that particular setup. In short, the MOLLE II Ruck is not supposed to attach to the NICE Frame. At all.

Having spent $300 on this thing I was not about to give up. Que the next idea. Attach the MOLLE II frame to the NICE Frame and use the MOLLE II frame to attach the actual rucksack. This action makes it so that the only items being replaced are the shoulder straps and the waist belt. Just fixed like 90% of my issue... I'll take it.

So far this method has worked. I'm going to field test it this weekend (maybe).

Below are pictures of the NICE Frame and MOLLE II Frame attached to each other. I passed the straps sewn into the NICE Frame through the MOLLE II Frame and achieved a very secure hold. For extra reinforcement I attached the extra compression straps I had. These straps do not come with the NICE Frame. I don't think it even needs horizontal straps. It's pretty damn secure with just the perpendicular ones native to the NICE Frame.

NICE Frame & MOLLE II Frame: 7lbs
Above w/ Main Pack & Sustainment Pouches: 11.5lbs

I eventually put the actual rucksack on the setup and it works pretty well so far. I still have to field test it. More to follow at a later date.
Another concern of mine is using this in a unit or at Army Schools. I just started BOLC and have been on active duty for a month. I think I could get away with it here but I'll see once we start rucking. I'm just gonna go ahead and assume I can't use this at Ranger School...

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:04:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/27/2014 5:05:04 PM EDT by sea2summit]
Originally Posted By Triksta:
BLUF:
After foot marching all over the place I have come to find that I hate the standard issue MOLLE II Ruck especially the shoulder straps and waist belt.

Honestly the pack itself isn't that bad but the shoulder straps and waist belt are garbage. Therefore, I began a search to replace that piece of ass. The Mystery Ranch NICE Frame seemed like a good idea (My butter bar is working already!) until I had the two sitting next to each other. My original plan was to take the pack and and attach it to the NICE Frame. I was successful in doing so however, it looked supper ghetto and I couldn't bring myself to actually have people see me walking around looking like a soup sandwich even if it "worked". I couldn't get the pack to stay flat against the NICE Frame when empty. It just flopped everywhere. However with extra compression straps I purchased I was able to make it work. Also, It looked like to many things could potentially go wrong with that particular setup. In short, the MOLLE II Ruck is not supposed to attach to the NICE Frame. At all.

Having spent $300 on this thing I was not about to give up. Que the next idea. Attach the MOLLE II frame to the NICE Frame and use the MOLLE II frame to attach the actual rucksack. This action makes it so that the only items being replaced are the shoulder straps and the waist belt. Just fixed like 90% of my issue... I'll take it.

Below are pictures of the NICE Frame and MOLLE II Frame attached to each other. I passed the straps sewn into the NICE Frame through the MOLLE II Frame and achieved a very secure hold. For extra reinforcement I attached the extra compression straps I had. These straps do not come with the NICE Frame. I don't think it even needs horizontal straps. It's pretty damn secure with just the perpendicular ones native to the NICE Frame.

http://i.imgur.com/rdBHSfq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OGhYV8V.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Ar5UQJz.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4S9y2Gc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qh5Gr2y.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9SlaLyG.jpg

I eventually put the actual rucksack on the setup and it works pretty well so far. I still have to field test it. More to follow at a later date.
Another concern of mine is using this in a unit or at Army Schools. I just started BOLC and have been on active duty for a month. I think I could get away with it here but I'll see once we start rucking. I'm just gonna go ahead and assume I can't use this at Ranger School...

View Quote

Don't take extra TA-50 to Ranger school....unless you don't really want a tab. I nearly got booted in during mountain phase because my fleece top was a different color (I had the older brown one and we were supposed to have the waffle top) and the RI was having a rough day, he took my top and I didn't have it for about two days while they debated on me a few years ago almost to the day right now.

You can probably get away with this setup at most other schools without an issues except selection or RASP. Now if you showed up to my company I would tell you to remove it. All your privates, especially the really green ones, are going to be watching you and trying to do all the cool stuff you do. They don't need a reason to blow $300 on a frame for their ruck when they make ~$2000 a month and they have a wife, two smart phones, a car payment (or two) and a baby on the way. If you can't suck for making your ruck work just like 100K other infantrymen well then...

I still use my ALICE for personal PT because I like it better but anything with the unit, or where Soldiers are going to see me, I use the MOLLE as issued. YMMV but that's my input.

(Also if you want your career to last very long I would ditch that avatar)
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:44:54 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sea2summit:

Don't take extra TA-50 to Ranger school....unless you don't really want a tab. I nearly got booted in during mountain phase because my fleece top was a different color (I had the older brown one and we were supposed to have the waffle top) and the RI was having a rough day, he took my top and I didn't have it for about two days while they debated on me a few years ago almost to the day right now.

You can probably get away with this setup at most other schools without an issues except selection or RASP. Now if you showed up to my company I would tell you to remove it. All your privates, especially the really green ones, are going to be watching you and trying to do all the cool stuff you do. They don't need a reason to blow $300 on a frame for their ruck when they make ~$2000 a month and they have a wife, two smart phones, a car payment (or two) and a baby on the way. If you can't suck for making your ruck work just like 100K other infantrymen well then...

I still use my ALICE for personal PT because I like it better but anything with the unit, or where Soldiers are going to see me, I use the MOLLE as issued. YMMV but that's my input.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Triksta:
BLUF:

http://i.imgur.com/rdBHSfq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OGhYV8V.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Ar5UQJz.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4S9y2Gc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qh5Gr2y.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9SlaLyG.jpg

I agree with all this. I have an MR pack with a NICE frame, and it is absolutely the best ruck I've ever put my hands on. I use it all the time on any real world missions and doing rucks in my off time. . However, at unit PT, and at most FTX's, I don't wear it (though I could in my unit) because even on deployments we just don't spend that much time under a ruck. And I'm just an "old" sergeant. A lot of the newest guys in a platoon will copy the little things from LT without really weighing the pros and cons of things.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:59:53 PM EDT
I can hoof it with the MOLLE system with no problems. However, I did not feel like I was getting the most out of my gear.

If my commander says I can't wear this than so be it. Rules are rules. I do not consider myself above them in any way shape or form.

People spend their money on senseless items all the time. The price for this piece of gear is a bit over the top albeit this is for a profession I take extremely seriously. I want the best tools for the job. I want to enhance my war fighting capability. But I do realize that this is not all about "me" and what "I" want. What I do sets an example to my soldiers. If a private is compelled to blow $300 on a rucksack frame then so be it. I'd rather that soldier spend that money on an item that would help them out rather than buy some plastic rims. As much as some leaders might want to control what their soldiers can and can't buy we will never be able to control that. It's their money. Is it a good idea for a private to buy this? In my book that's an okay choice. However, the soldier has to be able to swallow that cost and still realize their other responsibilities. I want a Ford Raptor. My Captain drives one and it's cool as shit but that thing cost more than I make in a year.

Worst case scenario the guy has a super high speed ruck that will be easier on their back in the long run. But again, rules are rules.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:17:00 PM EDT

Don't take extra TA-50 to Ranger school....unless you don't really want a tab. I nearly got booted in during mountain phase because my fleece top was a different color (I had the older brown one and we were supposed to have the waffle top) and the RI was having a rough day, he took my top and I didn't have it for about two days while they debated on me a few years ago almost to the day right now. True, Ranger school is very specific on what can be brought.

You can probably get away with this setup at most other schools without an issues except selection or RASP. Now if you showed up to my company I would tell you to remove it. All your privates, especially the really green ones, are going to be watching you and trying to do all the cool stuff you do. They don't need a reason to blow $300 on a frame for their ruck when they make ~$2000 a month and they have a wife, two smart phones, a car payment (or two) and a baby on the way. If you can't suck for making your ruck work just like 100K other infantrymen well then... Meh, even privates know not to pay attention to the LT, and they'll do something stupid regardless. Privates gonna Private.

(Also if you want your career to last very long I would ditch that avatar) Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? How is this even a thought on an anonymous gunboard? Loosen your tinfoil
View Quote

I like the idea of using the NICE frame, and will probably do it myself since I carry a lot more shit that the average line guy and my back kills me after rucks.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:41:34 PM EDT
Yeah, don't buy better equipment for yourself. No one wants a more effective warfighter.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:47:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By skyshark288:
Yeah, don't buy better equipment for yourself. No one wants a more effective warfighter.
View Quote
Seriously. Who gives a damn what joe thinks about your ruck?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:34:14 AM EDT
If one of my soldiers sees a better way for them to accomplish the mission I want them to act accordingly. We need soldiers who can think outside the box and be innovative. After all I am only one man and don't have all the worlds greatest ideas. Now of course there is a left and right limit we all have to follow. As long as the soldiers intent is mission success, falls within prescribed guidance, and legally and morally right, I don't have an issue with a soldier building upon what the Army has given them.

Also the Team Leaders and Squad Leaders will be advising the hell out of the new guys. If there are any TA-50 issues they will be more than capable of handling it. If one of my subordinates, or anyone for that matter, is curious about my cool guy gear I will give them my opinion on the subject and send them on their merry way more informed about a specific issue and thus able to make a better decision.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:52:45 PM EDT
I can't help but think this all to well suits the OP

But in all seriousness you're more than likely not going to be able to use it in most conventional units. Best to not paint a target on your back as a cherry 2LT when you show up to your unit. Almost everyone who has to regularly carry one hates the MOLLE II ruck. The only redeeming quality of the MOLLE II ruck is how much crap you can carry, beyond that it's really not that great of a ruck.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:29:55 PM EDT
Listen to advice. That's a 2LT's first responsibility!! Unless you are in a high speed JSOC unit, just stick to the issued gear. Spend the cash on shit you can use without sticking out like a sore thumb. Better socks, insoles, etc.

Everyone wants better equipment. Boots that don't hurt. A ruck that is comfortable. But in the end, the mission has always been accomplished with issued gear.

I look at the gear the kids have today and think, "man, if we'd had that 20 years ago." Then I talk to Vietnam vets and they say, "man, I wish we had the gear you had." I assume WW2 vets same the same thing.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:50:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/29/2014 5:51:17 PM EDT by skyshark288]
Alot of bad advice here. You don't have to be in JSOC to use a better ruck. The molle ruck sucks, use your mystery ranch. Let your dudes try it out, boom, now you've had positive impact. Soldiers will spend their money how they wsnt, if I sway them to use better equipment that makes my plt more efficient instead of Secrets on Bragg blvd....Awesome.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:46:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By skyshark288:
Alot of bad advice here. You don't have to be in JSOC to use a better ruck. The molle ruck sucks, use your mystery ranch. Let your dudes try it out, boom, now you've had positive impact. Soldiers will spend their money how they wsnt, if I sway them to use better equipment that makes my plt more efficient instead of Secrets on Bragg blvd....Awesome.

View Quote

Exactly. "Army knows what's best" mentality isn't always true.
Top Top