Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2017 10:08:51 PM EDT
i'm looking at gathering some parts for a MOD-3 build.  but i have a few questions...

1. are there any concerns with cerakoting a MOD-3 housing without optics?  will the LED or circuits get messed up being baked at 175*-ish?  or would the non-baked cerakote be better?  i want something to look better than my crappy attempts at krylon and hopefully a low IR signature.

2. what auto gated, manual gain tubes will fit in a MOD-3 with PVS14 optics?  i'd like to know when the time comes to tube shopping.

thanks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:10:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
i'm looking at gathering some parts for a MOD-3 build.  but i have a few questions...

1. are there any concerns with cerakoting a MOD-3 housing without optics?  will the LED or circuits get messed up being baked at 175*-ish?  or would the non-baked cerakote be better?  i want something to look better than my crappy attempts at krylon and hopefully a low IR signature.
thanks.
View Quote

The circuitry will more than likely survive... but will have been needlessly, prematurely aged. You are at a point of diminishing returns. Seriously, all of your gear had better have been gone over thoroughly for glare/IR reflectivity before you consider this. If you need to do it then use an application that does not require heat.

Have you considered hyrocoating? I think that is less abusive. I would look into that. I, personally, don't sweat my optics for signature. I put a lot of signature concerns higher on the list.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:55:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The circuitry will more than likely survive... but will have been needlessly, prematurely aged. You are at a point of diminishing returns. Seriously, all of your gear had better have been gone over thoroughly for glare/IR reflectivity before you consider this. If you need to do it then use an application that does not require heat.

Have you considered hyrocoating? I think that is less abusive. I would look into that. I, personally, don't sweat my optics for signature. I put a lot of signature concerns higher on the list.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks.

i haven't looked into hydrocoating.  i'm not sure who all does it around here.  i know a few well respected people around here cerakote.  i guess IR signature is pretty low based on my needs, since i'm not Tier 1 anyway.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:09:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

i haven't looked into hydrocoating.  i'm not sure who all does it around here.  i know a few well respected people around here cerakote.  i guess IR signature is pretty low based on my needs, since i'm not Tier 1 anyway.
View Quote

Hydro is really starting to popularize.

I don't sweat the optics because they are such a small item. So much of your gear has larger surface area. Keep your focus on the easy, big items and work your way down. You'll probably run out of steam and be glad you nailed the bigger items first. I think people get wrapped up in the IR signature of the NVD because IR is on their mind - the NVD being an IR related item. The truth is, if IR signature is important to you, then every piece of gear needs to be scrutinized. It's work. I have my buddies IR flash me when we go out for a stroll. I put some attention towards whatever they tell me shines the most. It has never been the NVD.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:08:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I've had good luck with air dry Durakote. I even did a set of MOD3s. They came out great. I even did the outsides of the oculars and objectives.
I started a thread in them a while back.

And as long as you get a dual gain MOD3 any 11769 tube will work.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've had good luck with air dry Durakote. I even did a set of MOD3s. They came out great. I even did the outsides of the oculars and objectives.
I started a thread in them a while back.

And as long as you get a dual gain MOD3 any 11769 tube will work.
View Quote

Air dry like this sounds a lot more reasonable. Like I said, though, look over your other gear first. If there is something big that is cheap and easy that needs signature reduction then deal with that first. Never forget the law of diminishing returns.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#6]
no do not bake those housings. Use a non bake finish or as stated hydrodip. Those housings are 1150.00 and your wanting to stick one in the oven just to have an fde colored one.  It's yours and you can do what you want. Oh there's epoxy type resin used in there also it might soften it up when heated to 175 after all it is a type of plastic/resin housing and left at that temp for a while or become brittle. Who knows I'd be interested in what happens

You going to use the tubes you got from Lamneth a few months back or get more. He's a great guy I've bought several tubes from him.  Off board to. If you got the wrong housing lmk know I've got the MOD3 mx11769uv housing maybe we can work out a trade of some I was going to buy a MOD3 10160 housing
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
no do not bake those housings. Use a non bake finish or as stated hydrodip. Those housings are 1150.00 and your wanting to stick one in the oven just to have an fde colored one.  It's yours and you can do what you want. Oh there's epoxy type resin used in there also it might soften it up when heated to 175 after all it is a type of plastic/resin housing and left at that temp for a while or become brittle. Who knows I'd be interested in what happens

You going to use the tubes you got from Lamneth a few months back or get more. He's a great guy I've bought several tubes from him.  Off board to. If you got the wrong housing lmk know I've got the MOD3 mx11769uv housing maybe we can work out a trade of some I was going to buy a MOD3 10160 housing
View Quote

i talked to the guy who does cerakote, he can do non-bake, but he'll have to order the paint, etc.  he's done it before, its not a big deal.  i'll most likely go with that.  he's a friend and does great work.

i am currently using those tubes from Lamneth in a fixed gain MOD3.  i wish it was adjustable.  i'm using the MOD3 and a PVS14 this week/weekend for a short hunting trip with a friend.  after that i might sell the PVS14 or both and get better NV and/or lasers.  i have people locally who want what i got.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#8]
That's what I use is a MOD3 and ir lasers to hunt with. I have 3 MOD3s I just sold one last week I'm going to buy a thermal scope. I have the MOD3 with the MX11769uv tubes with manual gain. These seem heavier than the 10160 MOD3s when I wear them.  I did not get these tubes from Lamneth but most my other tubes I have. I'd get with him when you get ready and tell him what you want and he'll find them.  My tablets dieing got to charge it. Good luck post a pic of your unit when its done.

Mack
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's what I use is a MOD3 and ir lasers to hunt with. I have 3 MOD3s I just sold one last week I'm going to buy a thermal scope. I have the MOD3 with the MX11769uv tubes with manual gain. These seem heavier than the 10160 MOD3s when I wear them.  I did not get these tubes from Lamneth but most my other tubes I have. I'd get with him when you get ready and tell him what you want and he'll find them.  My tablets dieing got to charge it. Good luck post a pic of your unit when its done.

Mack
View Quote

thanks, i figured i would contact him and some facebook groups when i have the cash saved up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top